...but I went with Like A Prayer
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hung Up
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite Huung Up is vastly superior to that slice of 80's drudgery really hate that song bit of a come down after all the True blue singles :o:p

I would say it's the other way around, WTG is one of Madonna's best 80s songs and HU is a ghastly monstrosity of a cacophony which would be even ghastlier without the sample from ABBA's vastly superior Gimme Gimme Gimme!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Like A Prayer but Frozen, Hung Up, Vogue and Papa Don't Preach all come very close as well. It's hard to vote for just one.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry is definitely my favourite, but 4 Minutes is a very close second! And is anyone shocked that Ray of Light never made it to No.1?

It would have been No1 if it wasn't for All Saints claiming the top spot that week.

Live a Virgin sold more copies than most of her No1 singles listed here but that song only reached No3. So reaching No1 isn't the be-all and end-all.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been No1 if it wasn't for All Saints claiming the top spot that week.

Live a Virgin sold more copies than most of her No1 singles listed here but that song only reached No3. So reaching No1 isn't the be-all and end-all.

yes, thats true. it actually outsold all her uk #1s, except for "into the groove".
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Like a Virgin would have been number one if it hadn't been released around Christmas, it lost out to Band Aid and Wham! In all fairness their Christmas songs are well known to this day so they were worthy competitors
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like a prayer, so iconic and still sounds marvelous to this very day,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Without hesitation - LIKE A PRAYER!!!
    Hung Up, Music, Vogue and Frozen all would be worthy too. As much as I still love M nothing she's done since Confessions has had the same impact for me.
    Just as Im writing this Masterpiece has started playing on Radio 2 - coincidence or what?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Like A Prayer :)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few Madonna songs have missed out on being number 1 by only a few thousand. Ray Of Light is the best example of that (infact with ROL it might have been a few hundred copies) but there are several others too. So her tally could have been much higher.

Beautiful Stranger is another one that was so close to number 1 but was robbed at the last minute. I think it was leading the chart until Friday that week!! so shocking it never made it. Likewise with Live To Tell.

Hanky Panky also just missed out on number 1 and so did American Life.

Infact she has a such strong line up of Number 2 singles when you think about it.

The UK always seems to prefer her up tempo stuff but her longest running US number 1s have always been the slower tracks. This Used To Be My Playground and Take A Bow were massive in America yet never did much in the UK.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    To have been a teenager when Frozen came out would have been so awesome - so mystical, so beautiful, so captivating
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To have been a teenager when Frozen came out would have been so awesome - so mystical, so beautiful, so captivating

There was a huge buzz in the build up as everyone was wanting for her return but no one expected it to be like that so she left people speechless. I think many didn't realise she had that level of creativity in her. Plus you have to remember that, Evita aside, she had just come through a huge backlash.

It was very strange for a Madonna fan as for the first time ever she was getting praise from everyone. She could do nothing wrong in 1998. The world loved her again. Drowned World video caused a bit of trouble because of Diana's death the year before, but everything about the Ray Of Light era was incredible. The visuals, the lot!

It was also the very first time Grammy acknowledged she existed.

Her first performance of Frozen was on the UK Lottery too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHIqLdr3ms
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So difficult to choose, will probably have a different one tomorrow but for today it's

Papa Don't Preach
    Forum Member
    Quite a few Madonna songs have missed out on being number 1 by only a few thousand. Ray Of Light is the best example of that (infact with ROL it might have been a few hundred copies) but there are several others too. So her tally could have been much higher.

Beautiful Stranger is another one that was so close to number 1 but was robbed at the last minute. I think it was leading the chart until Friday that week!! so shocking it never made it. Likewise with Live To Tell.

I remember that!

BS had indeed been leading the uk chart ALL WEEK and I was so chuffed and couldn't wait to hear it confirmed on the Sunday chart.

So just how gutted was I while reading one of the Sunday papers I came across the article that informed me that SClub7 had just pipped her to the post with Bring It All Back?

I didn't even know who Sclub7 WERE, i'd never even heard the song yet they'd beaten Madonna to number one.

Still, BS was apparently the most played song of 1999.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say it's the other way around, WTG is one of Madonna's best 80s songs and HU is a ghastly monstrosity of a cacophony which would be even ghastlier without the sample from ABBA's vastly superior Gimme Gimme Gimme!

I think we will just have to disagree on this one :p
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since someone else has ranked them by preference, which I don't think I've ever actually attempted, here goes...

Into the Groove
    True Blue
    Papa Don't Preach

Hung Up
    Who's That Girl
    Frozen

4 Minutes
    Sorry
    Like a Prayer

Vogue
    Music
    La Isla Bonita

American Pie

They're 'grouped' according to what I find a) timeless, b) superlative, c) great, d) good-excellent and e) well, I don't actually mind it :o

As with all taste, it's arbitrary at the end of the day. For me the above is about 'listenability' and 'return-to-ability' rather than wanting to interminably debate the finer points of musical technicality, lyrical profundity etc. Within each grouping the pecking order will change with mood, and even then that's not to say that individual titles wouldn't move in and out of the 'groups' on that basis also.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like A Prayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I am quite surprised no one has voted for Music or 4 Minutes yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will just have to disagree on this one :p

Funnily enough RMF isnt really a "fan" of the COnfessions album or era for some reason.

But to each their own :) Hung Up OWNS and in so many ways it works so well without the need of the Abba sample....but the use of the Abba sample really adds another layer of this whole time travel/anthemic vibes...so powerful and a well deserved hit...and the street - club sequence in the video for the breakdown is just INSANE! :cool:

I remember following the era like crazy...buying the album Winter in Woolies (remember Woolies?) ah man and album tracks playing in the store....it was a mini Madonna-mania and i miss it :/ and wished "get together" was a number 1 too its one of the best songs ever...her vocals, the clever lyrics, the entire production...just goosebumps! <3

and matt funnily enough Music and 4 Minutes are possibly two of her most "commercially" focused recordings...i mean Music itself is the saest song from the album itself which ironically is so very dark and almost anti-the title song whereas 4 Minutes really was to push out into the masses, its catchy and fun and thumpy.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough RMF isnt really a "fan" of the COnfessions album or era for some reason.

But to each their own :) Hung Up OWNS and in so many ways it works so well without the need of the Abba sample....but the use of the Abba sample really adds another layer of this whole time travel/anthemic vibes...so powerful and a well deserved hit...and the street - club sequence in the video for the breakdown is just INSANE! :cool:

I remember following the era like crazy...buying the album Winter in Woolies (remember Woolies?) ah man and album tracks playing in the store....it was a mini Madonna-mania and i miss it :/ and wished "get together" was a number 1 too its one of the best songs ever...her vocals, the clever lyrics, the entire production...just goosebumps! <3

and matt funnily enough Music and 4 Minutes are possibly two of her most "commercially" focused recordings...i mean Music itself is the saest song from the album itself which ironically is so very dark and almost anti-the title song whereas 4 Minutes really was to push out into the masses, its catchy and fun and thumpy.

I can understand that. I don't particularly like the Music era and feel it has aged rather badly :o Whereas COADF is just seamless and timeless in so many ways and influenced dance music like her debut. As for 4 minutes love that song a gets a bad rep but its brilliant.
    Forum Member

For some reason? You say that like it's bad to not like Confessions, I like some of the songs (Jump, Forbidden Love, Future Lovers) but mostly it does absolutely nothing for me and HU is a ghastly mess imo.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am quite surprised no one has voted for Music or 4 Minutes yet

I like Music but 4 Minutes was never very "Madonna" to me, if that makes sense...which is how I feel about the whole Hard Candy era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand that. I don't particularly like the Music era and feel it has aged rather badly :o Whereas COADF is just seamless and timeless in so many ways and influenced dance music like her debut. As for 4 minutes love that song a gets a bad rep but its brilliant.

yeah...there are aspects of Music i LOVE :D but as you say it kinda gets lost in places...its interesting that its possibly her least viewed album on You Tube and least requested/polled on sites and stuff yet when it was released it go way way way oodles of acclaim heading its way and it almost didnt measure up to the words said haha.

And totally Confessions deserved every ounce of attention it got....just kinda wish the singles padded out a bit more before the tour but alas...to give it more of a boost commercially but its still one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s decade and also is in guinness and won its Brits and grammys :D so its not all bad...just deserved MORRRE (to quote Britney b!tch)

RMF it wasnt a dig nor jibe...we all have opinions...its just your opinion isnt mine :p:cool: :D but tbh it is like swearing n cursing :eek:

speaking of which found this Prince.Org thread when COnfessions was leaked...love the first reactions to it :)

http://prince.org/msg/8/165919?pr

Also, love looking at older blogs and stuff...always feels like time travel :D...step into the sky......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Music but 4 Minutes was never very "Madonna" to me, if that makes sense...which is how I feel about the whole Hard Candy era.

your name Cloudbusting reminds me...Aerial came out in winter 05 too....freakin ADORE that album too...besides the point.

I do find it funny the way Hard Candy is handeled....some would argue its the least "Madonna" sounding album she has done...whereas you could also argue it is most like her first album in its Urban/Synth/Disco fusion vibes also but modernized and also what with the recent Pharell takeover on the charts and Funk in Dance music being popularised it could be in some ways ahead of trend...personally i love playing HC in the summer and i do like 4 Minutes...just the cover and indeed artwork i found most jarring across the era :(