Options

Do property programmes ever show any affordable housing?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
Forum Member
I caught a bit of Escape to the Country this afternoon and they were showing a house for around £850, 000! I couldnt believe it. Usually from what I've seen the houses on this show are around the £450,000 mark, although I'm far from an avid viewer so maybe I'm wrong.

However I just wonder who this show is aimed at, because the vast majority of the British public do not have more than a couple of hundred grand at most to spend on a home and could never dream of owning a holiday home or escaping to the country!

While it can be quite nice to ogle the beautiful properties, why can't these programmes be more realistic? It drives me mad that they NEVER seem to acknowelge the "common man" and just show things most people couldn't even dream of buying. What's the point of that?

Comments

• Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I share your sentiment, have found this bewildering too.
    The 450,000 to 850,000 pound bracket is probably aimed at the ever increasing million pound plus lottery winners.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this.

And neither couple ended up buying anything they were shown. As per normal!

They never have a "normal" budget on this programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To add, the reason this wound me up so much was because I saw it on the same day I read that one in ten people have only £10 dispoable income at the end of the month!

So just who are the BBC aiming this show at, because it surely is not the average viewer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tatyana wrote: »
    To add, the reason this wound me up so much was because I saw it on the same day I read that one in ten people have only £10 dispoable income at the end of the month!

So just who are the BBC aiming this show at, because it surely is not the average viewer.

I'm with you.

Plus, why when a couple have told them there budget is £800K, do they then go and show them properties that cost £850K. Ridiculous.

The couple that wanted to live in Sussex, in the country, and after looking at 3 or 4 houses in the country, ended up buying a house in Chichester...in the town! >:(
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind a bit of escape to the country. It's nice to dream of one day owning a house and a bit of land that isn't in a run down crime ridden shit hole, next door to the local drug dealers weed farm and the local poss heads constant screaming and general out of order behaviour.

I've never seen anyone actually buy or put an offer in on the properties shown. But my absolute favourite was one women who seemed to pick fault with everything. She was shown a stunning country house which had a tree in the garden. She discounted this house because she was put off by the leaves that would fall from the tree in autumn.

I would imagine if you're put off by leaves love the country generally isn't the place for you to be living.

Much prefer Location, Location, Location as you see houses of all budgets for all types of people and more often than not they end up buying one of the houses.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almost all property programmes seem to be guilty of this and it makes them little more than moving wallpaper 'with an en suite' rather than practical information.
    'Homes under the hammer' does at least show dwellings at the more realistic end of the market although the people who buy them and do them up often turn out to be part of the 'buy to let' brigade:(
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    The people on these programmes really do annoy me. I saw one a few weeks ago where the couple wanted to move from London to run a B&B Holiday lets business. They found them a property which was an established successful business, with separate holiday lets and acres of land, under budget and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Even the holiday let buildings came with everything inside.

You guessed it, they turned it down because they thought that it was too big - it was actually slightly smaller than they had specified for their search.

I am sure the people just go on to get on tv. Do the production team do any checks on the viewers ? I wonder if you have to prove that you have the capability of getting or mortgage for the property or at least have your home for sale?
  • Options
    furtivecatfurtivecat Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Homes Under The Hammer if you want to buy at auction but I think most people would be wary of doing that!
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grand designs is the worst. Anna, 34 is an artist and her partner Michael, 38 is an architect. They're turning their barn into a 5 bedroom eco house with an interactive art studio that fits in with the general landscape. Their budget for the project is £2,500,000.

At this point I'm thinking...these are not my people :D
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Wanted: Down Under. You never find out if they buy ANY of the properties!
  • Options
    japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too hate these programmes with the huge budgets. I know if I had 1/2 million + to spend on a house I would have enough money to be doing things other than sitting in front of the TV watching reality tv for my entertainment. As it is I am skint and so I do watch a lot of TV but would prefer to see some more realistic priced accommodation that would possibly be one day within reach not have my nose rubbed in the fact that I could never afford to have a property like the one shown.
    I know some will respond that its all about the dream.
    I think that its lazy programming, it is much more difficult to find nice lower priced property than expensive properties, anyone can go to an estate agents and find nice places with a huge budget.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »

Yes they have revisited shows but many seem to rent first which is the right option if you have never worked there though a few do buy to but not many.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme makers obviously consider the target audience would find a programme on affordable houses boring.

These programmes are purely for "entertainment only" given that some are so old that prices are out of date anyway. Some viewers just like to look at unaffordable houses, just to see what they could buy if they ever won the lottery. (A lot of people think like that).

For some of the couples being shown houses, it's an "opportunity to be on telly," actually buying a house is not really important.

So everyone is happy. The networks, as such programmes are relatively, "as cheap as chips" to produce. The couples shown houses as they get a nice day out at the production company's expense with no high pressure sales talk and the viewers who can fantasize for a while before moving on to the next programme. Probably one on BBC 1 or 2, "The Cooking Channels."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    my absolute favourite was one women who seemed to pick fault with everything. She was shown a stunning country house which had a tree in the garden. She discounted this house because she was put off by the leaves that would fall from the tree in autumn.

It's always been clear these programmes just attract attention seekers who want to be on TV, since the properties are always totally unrealistic for the average person and no one ever buys anything.

I know they churn out these shows like there's no tomorrow because they're so cheap to make but if the episodes had some variety, like affordable housing and the occassional non-annoying person, it might make them actually worth watching!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Seriously!? So why even bother to make and screen the show, wouldn't that be the ENTIRE point!?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught a bit of Escape to the Country this afternoon and they were showing a house for around £850, 000! I couldnt believe it. Usually from what I've seen the houses on this show are around the £450,000 mark, although I'm far from an avid viewer so maybe I'm wrong.

However I just wonder who this show is aimed at, because the vast majority of the British public do not have more than a couple of hundred grand at most to spend on a home and could never dream of owning a holiday home or escaping to the country!

Well in part the show is about people leaving "the big city". Those selling a house they've lived in all their lives in London say, are very likely to be releasing a healthy lump of equity. It's not like it's lying around in their bank accounts

That said if it was me I'd have been looking to put about £600K of that into my bank account instead and buy a place for say £250K
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine, given the age of some of the "contestants" that the cash could come from an inheritance, (sale of parents' houses) a sale of their own house and a fairly big mortgage. It's unlikely that most have a "big cash sum."

Having said that, from what my wife tells me who sort of "half watches" this programme whilst indulging in one of her hobbies, that a common theme, is that "They want a more secluded place in the country, an old building with "quaint features" and then when shown something, complain about the low ceilings and how far it is from the shops.
    They also want a big garden, without having a clue how hard it is to control one.
    But it can be amusing.
    platelet wrote: »
    Well in part the show is about people leaving "the big city". Those selling a house they've lived in all their lives in London say, are very likely to be releasing a healthy lump of equity. It's not like it's lying around in their bank accounts

That said if it was me I'd have been looking to put about £600K of that into my bank account instead and buy a place for say £250K

"Each to their own" of course, but I wouldn't put that much in a bank as you get naff all interest.
    I'd buy another house (not a flat) and rent it out. A much better investment. It can become a "ready made pension" when you retire.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably those who like to see how the other half lives, and those who simply like to see houses that are luxurious and can only be dreamt about. A bit like "Grand Designs" on Channel 4 in that respect.

It is an entertainment programme after all, not a serious documentary or consumer programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Probably those who like to see how the other half lives, and those who simply like to see houses that are luxurious and can only be dreamt about. A bit like "Grand Designs" on Channel 4 in that respect.

It is an entertainment programme after all, not a serious documentary or consumer programme.

I think my biggest problem is that every episode is the same, in terms of price ranges (although the £850,000 was the most expensive property I've seen featured so far out of the times I've watched), the people who go on are unlikeable, picky, and attention seeking and it just reeks of a lazy filler show.

Yet it must have an audience or it would be axed, so I suppose the BBC do know what they're doing. Likewise when it comes to Flog It and other shows that are the same every time.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    To Buy or Not to Buy did.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Each to their own" of course, but I wouldn't put that much in a bank as you get naff all interest.
    I'd buy another house (not a flat) and rent it out. A much better investment. It can become a "ready made pension" when you retire.

I was actually thinking of it as a pension, I had in my head the fact that this was upon retirement - and actually about releasing the money from property.

Academic really given how much equity I actually have in my house :) at present - just dreaming of when I come to escape to the continent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    To Buy or Not to Buy did.

Maybe they should bring that back, since so many people struggle to get on the housing ladder at all nowadays. It would be so refreshing to see something realistic for a change.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always been clear these programmes just attract attention seekers who want to be on TV, since the properties are always totally unrealistic for the average person and no one ever buys anything.

I know they churn out these shows like there's no tomorrow because they're so cheap to make but if the episodes had some variety, like affordable housing and the occassional non-annoying person, it might make them actually worth watching!

I agree with escape to the country but atleast on location,location location they nearly always buy the house at the end and the houses on there are generally something in most peoples price range
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    I agree with escape to the country but atleast on location,location location they nearly always buy the house at the end and the houses on there are generally something in most peoples price range

At least with Location, Location, Location, they have buyers from all age groups....first time buyers, families, retired people....they show a whole range of prices and from the ones I've seen, a lot of people actually buy one of the properties that they've been shown.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Presumably the programme makers pay for the trip "down under", nice little freebie holiday