Options

Doctor Who Confidential

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
Forum Member
✭✭
Any thoughts on the new series?

Personally I'm enjoying this series much more than last. I think we're having less back-slapping and a lot more factual insight about the series behind the scenes.

It's less about how good the makers think the show is, and more about how it's made. I felt last time it was a little too self-indulgent.

I'm not an RTD-knocker per say. (And I really don't want to picture RTD's knockers now I think about it...) :p
I did get very tired though of hearing him telling us how wonderful each episode was, and what a success they all were - I can make my own mind up about that. They do seem to have reined that in this time.

I will say that 45 minutes has seemed a tad overlong though. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think 45 mins is too long too. It would have been better if it concentrated on old who for about 15 minutes. Series 1 is still the best. Why does it have to be so long without talking about the classics?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I know RTD pooh-poohs the Internet, and says he doesn't pay any attention to "moaning minnies", but so far this series, it really does look like they taken on-board some of the criticisms of last season, and are actually making an effort to put things right. I hope it continues.

All hail the "200"! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    I know RTD pooh-poohs the Internet, and says he doesn't pay any attention to "moaning minnies", but so far this series, it really does look like they taken on-board some of the criticisms of last season, and are actually making an effort to put things right. I hope it continues.

All hail the "200"! ;)

so none of the usual sycophants are in attendance this series dissing the old series whilst sucking up to the new?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so none of the usual sycophants are in attendance this series dissing the old series whilst sucking up to the new?

Quite. No input from DWM this series.

I think that was there last series to offer an input that they perhaps thought would please the fans of the old series? It's not missed at as far as I'm concerned to be honest. I would have been happier if they had offered a bit more of an affectionate look back than they did.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does seem a wee bit too long when coming straight after the main show - like watching a feature film.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Even better is Anthony Head doing the voice over, I'm pleased that he's remaining active within Who-dom as during that brief period last year when we all thought he was the Master I was exstatic as it looked like AH would be a long-term recurring character...

Alas it wasn't to be....but he's still around, which is nice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimboc wrote:
    Quite. No input from DWM this series.

I think that was there last series to offer an input that they perhaps thought would please the fans of the old series? It's not missed at as far as I'm concerned to be honest. I would have been happier if they had offered a bit more of an affectionate look back than they did.

to be honest I can't comment on this series as the last one put me off but if as you say it has returned to what it was during the first run, an informative behind the scenes doc then I might tune in.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest I can't comment on this series as the last one put me off but if as you say it has returned to what it was during the first run, an informative behind the scenes doc then I might tune in.
    The first episode had a bit of back slapping but eps 2/3 were almost entirely "how they did it".

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote:
    The first episode had a bit of back slapping but eps 2/3 were almost entirely "how they did it".

K

will tune in on Saturday and take a look.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NAF wrote:
    i think 45 mins is too long too. It would have been better if it concentrated on old who for about 15 minutes. Series 1 is still the best. Why does it have to be so long without talking about the classics?
    Probably because DWC is really about the new DW, not old DW. Personally, I find that 45 mins is OK, with good features on the sets and effects etc, and of course some of the secrets as to how some of the things were done.

And hardly a slapped back in sight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote:
    Probably because DWC is really about the new DW, not old DW. Personally, I find that 45 mins is OK, with good features on the sets and effects etc, and of course some of the secrets as to how some of the things were done.

And hardly a slapped back in sight.

hurrah! :D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why's Phil Collinson got himself a TinTin haircut though?
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dr who confidential made me really dislike RTD, all that back slapping...none of it really deserved

"oh we're great this episode was WONDERFUL" etc

the gap between what they thought they had achieved and what they had actually achieved was quite large
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    I love Doctor Who Confidential as well. Loved it last Saturday where they showed someone was trying to get the cat to say "Mama" while David Tennant was looking on. :rolleyes: :D:D
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    45 Minutes is a bit long for this program, however it's only shown once, the edited 15 minute version is shown a couple of times. Bit odd since Totally DR who is shown about 3 times in full.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote:
    dr who confidential made me really dislike RTD, all that back slapping...none of it really deserved

"oh we're great this episode was WONDERFUL" etc

the gap between what they thought they had achieved and what they had actually achieved was quite large
    Well on the basis of the recent episodes, this is no longer the case. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its fine being 45 mins but i hope on the boxset it wont be a cut-down version! that is just cheap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBDodge wrote:
    Why's Phil Collinson got himself a TinTin haircut though?

perhaps he likes a bit of 'snowie' :D
  • Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perhaps he likes a bit of 'snowie' :D
    Or maybe he's just a fan of the Thompson Twins.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote:
    Or maybe he's just a fan of the Thompson Twins.;)

well one of their songs was Doctor, Doctor! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well one of their songs was Doctor, Doctor! :D
    And as I recall, the lyric went: "Doctor, Doctor...can't you see I'm burning, burning"

...which is an obvious reference to the end of Planet Of Fire, in which the Master is burning to death and appeals to the Doctor for help by crying out "Won't you even take pity on your own..." where people have speculated the last word would have been "brother", which ties in with the hints that the Master in the new series will be revealed to be the Doctor's brother, it all fits! They're giving us blatant clues to the series finale in the form of Phil Collinson's haircuts!

Next week I shall be closely analysing DW:C to find the secret Morse Code messages hidden in Julie Gardner's laughter. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote:
    And as I recall, the lyric went: "Doctor, Doctor...can't you see I'm burning, burning"

...which is an obvious reference to the end of Planet Of Fire, in which the Master is burning to death and appeals to the Doctor for help by crying out "Won't you even take pity on your own..." where people have speculated the last word would have been "brother", which ties in with the hints that the Master in the new series will be revealed to be the Doctor's brother, it all fits! They're giving us blatant clues to the series finale in the form of Phil Collinson's haircuts!

Next week I shall be closely analysing DW:C to find the secret Morse Code messages hidden in Julie Gardner's laughter. :p

the TT's had another song 'Don't Mess with Doctor Dream' as well :D
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mansun wrote:

I've tried a bit, and all I could manage was

S S S O S E S S S

Over the course of the episode. Could stand for something ? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

S S S O S E S S S

Sometimes Superfans Slaver Over Sexy Elisabeth Sladen's Sumptuous Smile?

Aha! They're bringing back Sarah-Jane & K-9 again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

S S S O S E S S S

yep! The Zygons are making a return........ :D