Options

λ The usage of 'gay' as a noun: acceptable or not?

ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
Forum Member
On checking the dictionary I use, it states 'sometimes offensive'. I'm not gay so I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Is using 'gay' as a noun acceptable? 99 votes

YES
43% 43 votes
NO
36% 36 votes
Depends (please elaborate)
20% 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you mean as an adjective, as opposed to a noun?
    As a gay myself, I don't find it especially offensive..
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Yes it is offensive.

This thread is going to be closed quicker than the Caterham F1 team
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean in the sense that the word gay is re-assigned its old fashioned connotation of "bright, cheerful and happy", I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    If you mean in the sense that the word gay is re-assigned its old fashioned connotation of "bright, cheerful and happy", I'm not sure.

I think he means in situations where some kids in the playground calling the XBox One 'Gay', or people who leave youtube comments calling the other person's comments 'Gay'

In other words Gay being used as an insult. Of course I may be wrong, the OP needs to explain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he means in situations where some kids in the playground calling the XBox One 'Gay', or people who leave youtube comments calling the other person's comments 'Gay'

In other words Gay being used as an insult. Of course I may be wrong, the OP needs to explain

I would very strongly disagree with that. Indeed, I'm surprised such a question would seriously be asked.

Yes, the OP does need to clarify, and quick.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

How could that sense of "gay" be a noun? :confused:

"Gay" as a singular noun sounds a bit strange and unnecessary, so I wouldn't recommend it. However I think "gays" in the plural is OK as informal shorthand for lesbians and gay men, but perhaps not suitable for say a newspaper article.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To clarify:

Is it acceptable to refer to someone as 'A gay' or a group of people as 'gays'?
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a fad for a while, wasn't it? Not something you'd hear day to day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    To clarify:

Is it acceptable to refer to someone as A gay?

Not really, no. It sounds rather odd in the singular, as I said earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »

Popularised in "Little Britain", where one character always referred to himself as "a gay"! That was just for humorous effect though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

"Gay" as a singular noun sounds a bit strange and unnecessary, so I wouldn't recommend it. However I think "gays" in the plural is OK as informal shorthand for lesbians and gay men, but perhaps not suitable for say a newspaper article.

I'm not bothered about the grammatical accuracy. More important was the intention, which the OP has now clarified.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    To clarify:

Is it acceptable to refer to someone as 'A gay' or a group of people as 'gays'?

I recommend you do just that. Approach strangers in the street and ask if they are 'A Gay'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gay is a synonym for homosexual, and there's nothing wrong with saying someone is 'a homosexual', so I don't see why saying someone is 'a gay' should be offensive. It does sound odd, but not offensive. I am a heterosexual but if someone called me a straight I wouldn't find it offensive.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "fred is a gay" while maybe factual and a bit brutal at that if you consider gay = its sexual meaning, but if you read it as "fred is a happy" using its older meaning doesn't make sense unless we add something after the word to give it more meaning such as "fred is a gay camper" could mean something in both terms and it would take more effort to work out the meaning of it so we know wether freds a camper who like other men or someone who's just happy to go out camping
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's historically an adjective, isn't it?

Old meaning: We're having a gay time.
    New meaning: She's gay.

Also, the old meaning of gay as a noun was a gallant/bright/excellent noble (gender neutral) or a person of excellent character. This became obsolete a couple of centuries ago.

Yes, I think gay as a noun doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I recommend you do just that. Approach strangers in the street and ask if they are 'A Gay'

Thanks for your 'recommendation' but don't you think it's far more convenient to ask strangers in an internet forum?
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Old meaning: We're having a gay time.
    Surely that would be "We'll have a gay old tiiiiime"...?

And "Wilmaaaaa" :p
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, like calling people Scots or Brits or Germans or redheads or Muslims?
    Why should "gay" be excluded from that normal English language practice?
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Gay does seem to have a singular meaning these days. Much like the word 'ejaculated'.

It is funny how words can be so snatched from the vocabulary and given such unique associations.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »

Yeah. Pretty much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »

Eh? Scot and Brit aren't adjectives! Don't think redhead is either.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »

None on your list is an adjective, though. All are nouns.
    Surely that would be "We'll have a gay old tiiiiime"...?

And "Wilmaaaaa" :p

:D:D
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Context.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

It's the exact equivalent to calling someone 'a black', or saying that the pub was 'full of blacks'.

There is a strong general preference for using adjectives rather than nouns in contexts like this. If you say, "the pub was full of gays" is sounds slightly dehumanising. If people can understand why we don't refer to people as 'blacks' they can understand why it is politer to say 'gay people' rather than 'gays'.

Further back, it was considered quite all right to call people 'cripples', which was nice and short, certainly much shorter than 'disabled people' or 'people with disabilities'. More recently, "a spastic" was considered the normal way to refer to people with cerebral palsy, and "a mongol" to someone with downs syndrome. I am glad that those two have gone, especially as both words (often shortened) had become mere playground insults. . For some reason a noun was generally only used of people with mobility problems: we never had people saying, "the pub was full of blinds", or "deafs need special consideration".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Offensive for sure.

I wouldn't dream of saying "He/she's a gay" unless I was being ironic.