Do women get an unfair amount of credit for "house work" ??

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    I think you'll find that men get a hell of a lot of credit for going to war and they don't need credit for protecting their families; that comes naturally.

Really? Even when they're physically weaker and smaller than their partner?
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nat'sChuff wrote: »
    Really? Even when they're physically weaker and smaller than their partner?

Women are typically smaller and weaker than their (male) partners and it's natural for them to want to protect their families too. They don't deserve credit for a natural instinct.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Women probably don't get enough credit for housework, but then again, how much credit do men get for getting up in the night to foil intruders, being expected to protect the family or going to war? Not to mention some of the gut wrenching jobs they're called upon to do.

The truth is that neither sex gets a better deal, no matter what some would tell you. If the new world calls for different roles or skills form us, then you can be sure that both sexes will adapt to what's appropriate and necessary.

When it comes to dirty, dangerous jobs that need to be done, it's still men that predominantly do them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    Women are typically smaller and weaker than their (male) partners and it's natural for them to want to protect their families too. They don't deserve credit for a natural instinct.

That may be so, but there are exceptions And even in these cases the man is still expected to perform the prescribed male role despite any obvious whortcomings.
    The point I was trying to make is that these gender roles are, in some ways, arbitary and dependent on the beliefs and expectations of a particular society at a particulat point in tme.

Neither sex really has the advantage. For every percieved advantage of being male in today's world there are drawbacks that may not br appreciated
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women probably don't get enough credit for housework, but then again, how much credit do men get for getting up in the night to foil intruders, being expected to protect the family or going to war?
    Do these things happen to you frequently?! Are you foiling intruders weekly and protecting the family every day? I think you should probably move house...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Do these things happen to you frequently?! Are you foiling intruders weekly and protecting the family every day? I think you should probably move house...

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think stay at home parents of young children get enough credit, especially if any of the children has any kind of special need/learning disability. It's damn hard work and far harder than anything I have ever done career wise (I'm a solicitor and had a pretty good job working very long hours previously).

I take my hat off to carers in general. I think it s one of the hardest jobs but yet thankless tasks there is.
    Forum Member
    Maybe everyone should get issued with a 'house work' card and you accumulate points, dependent on the amount of 'house work' you do. These can then be cashed in at the nearest 'It's not a competition, just share the chores shop'.

Frankly. Reading some of the replies on this thread, I'm amazed how some people even manage to live together.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I don't think stay at home parents of young children get enough credit, especially if any of the children has any kind of special need/learning disability. It's damn hard work and far harder than anything I have ever done career wise (I'm a solicitor and had a pretty good job working very long hours previously).

I take my hat off to carers in general. I think it s one of the hardest jobs but yet thankless tasks there is.

my son has autism, ADHD, hypermobility syndrome and dyspraxia

hes my son

time with him and looking after him is a pleasure!

(and actually prior to diagnosis I just thought all kids were like that
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Women are just expected to do all of the cleaning, shopping and cooking, it is utterly pathetic. If two people are working then the housework should be shared equally but unfortunately while men keep pretending not to have a clue about how to put a dish in the dishwasher this will never happen.

The men in my family have always been very good at sharing the housework. My grandad was very aware of the effect of stress on women as his mother had committed suicide by drowning herself when she was under a lot of stress so he always helped his wife with the housework. He made the best Sunday dinners I ever had as well as doing other housework.

My dad won't let anyone else stack the dishwasher. He also does half the laundry, all the washing up, hoovering, as well as more traditional 'male' jobs like the gardening and DIY. He is a bit like Jack Lemmon in The Odd Couple, i.e. a tidy freak. He is a rubbish cook though as he went straight from his mother's house to living with his wife and never learnt.
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spend roughly 4 hours per day on the basics of polishing/hoovering/washing/ironing/dishes etc. Add to that maintaining, washing and hoovering two cars, any and all DIY that needs doing and maintaining the front and back gardens, plus all household paperwork, food shopping, preparation of a home cooked meal every night, packed lunches, PE kits, school runs, helping with homework, friends coming to play, my own studying etc., and I am lucky to get an hour to myself for lunch.

My partner does the dishes on a Saturday morning and puts the bins out on a Monday. That is literally it. BUT, he is a self employed electrician working 50-60 hours per week and I see all the stuff I do in the home as equivalent to his job.

The only thing that really pees me off is that the lack of consideration from my family. I tried to explain it to my OH like this, "Imagine if you went to work and worked really hard on a re-wire only to go back the next day and someone had undone all your work, so you had to do it again. This happens every single day for the next ten years until you are stuck in a perptual groundhog day of rewiring the same parts at the same time every single day. It would drive you mad!".
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. When I was not working I managed to stretch it throughout the morning and have afternoons off when I worked it was fairly easy to slot in for a couple of hours each week.
  • ShoobeedooShoobeedoo Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Men quietly get on with the chores and don't make a fuss or expect any recognition, yeah, yeah, yeah.....
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is reminding me that there is a sink full of dishes....gah
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Getting there.

And you could add 'office politics' and the possibility of being made redundant at any time etc. to the list of problems related to jobs in general.

Yeah but you're out of the house and doing something more interesting than a load of ironing. Just going to work is psychologically beneficial whereas being a housewife is lonely unappreciated work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Though she could say the same about typing out judgmental tosh and pressing the mouse button

Some people do have a certificate for that though, a lifetime of practise makes all the difference :rolleyes:

Seriously, strange threads come to pass. Why would I care about anyone elses housework but our own ??

I'm counting the seconds until someone echoes Harry Enfield: "women know your place"... ;)
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    It's just maintenance. I do our laundry (two people, sort it out, wash, iron, dry). My OH does the cooking. We split the tasks. It's just stuff that needs doing. But we also both work full time and get on with it. It's no big deal.
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Yeah but you're out of the house and doing something more interesting than a load of ironing. Just going to work is psychologically beneficial whereas being a housewife is lonely unappreciated work.

Good points.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »

Having to regularly stick my hand down the toilets to clean them can also be classed as lonely unappreciated work.

The skids don't remove themselves. Not mine I hasten to add.:eek: