Mobile Chargers to be Standardised (Finger to Apple)

Comments

• daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People dissing micro USB, yes they break sometimes but ive seen more people moaning about they're broken lightning cable than I have micro usb plus micro USB is more readily available than a lightning charger
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the way you can put a lightning cable in both ways as I always try and insert micro USB the wrong way. I would rather Qi charging became the norm TBH.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    People dissing micro USB, yes they break sometimes but ive seen more people moaning about they're broken lightning cable than I have micro usb plus micro USB is more readily available than a lightning charger

Also in longer lengths.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daclick wrote: »

having worked with mobile devices for nearly 6 years (and majority of those using micro USB), the vast majority of faults i see is a damaged micro USB port on the device - mainly due to the little tab inside being damaged by cables not being put in correctly.

the design of the lightning cable negates this problem as the port on the device is simply a hole.

i'd rather have a broken cable than a broken port on the device.

from what i can see the flaw of the lightning cable/port is simply cost, whereas the flaw of the micro usb cable/port is the poor design of the port itself.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree with Chenks there, the micro USB was always going to be a weak point and not really up to the job considering how often you have to charge a smart phone.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I can't disagree more, I had my Galaxy S for two years and the only issue I'd had was the cheap charger I bought packing up. Microusb isn't perfect but it is a standard that everyone par Apple has adopted. I don't think it's right that everyone is playing by the rules but them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't disagree more, I had my Galaxy S for two years and the only issue I'd had was the cheap charger I bought packing up. Microusb isn't perfect but it is a standard that everyone par Apple has adopted. I don't think it's right that everyone is playing by the rules but them.

it's only a standard because the EU decided to make it a standard.

it'll stop becoming a standard when technology moves on.

i'm not saying lightning port is the answer, but for me micro USB was the wrong choice. as i said, it's too easy to damage the actual port on the device, which usually means the end of the device as the port is part of the main system board and not many will attempt to repair that.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i've never had any problems with micro usb.

i charge a couple of devices every night. shitty usb cables do seem to fit less snug than manufacturer charges.

my major gripe is chargers these days seem to come with a short usb cable and not work properly if you use a longer one. not so long a go you got a usb cable in the box and a charger with it's own built in cable.

these days you seem to get the charger, the 3 pin front plate and a short usb lead. they've stripped it down too far.

there is no reason by the way that apple devices couldn't also include lighting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there is no reason by the way that apple devices couldn't also include lighting.

wouldn't make much sense to have 2 ports on the device.

i suspect that if Apple turned round and said "screw you" to the EU and said it's our way or the highway then the EU would back down pretty sharpish.

the EU isn't going to ban iPhone, iPod and iPad in the EU, it's far too damaging to the EU if they did.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »

i suspect that if Apple turned round and said "screw you" to the EU and said it's our way or the highway then the EU would back down pretty sharpish.

the EU isn't going to ban iPhone, iPod and iPad in the EU, it's far too damaging to the EU if they did.

I suspect the EU would not back down. they have never done this before. or shown any indication of being likely to. i'm curious as to why you think they would?

How does it damage the EU if they ban the iPhone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

population backlash perhaps?

the EU is a joke anyway, sooner UK is out of it the better.
    let's hope an independent Scotland chooses not to be part of it either.

Switzerland and Norway seem to do fine by not being in the EU.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect the EU would not back down. they have never done this before. or shown any indication of being likely to. i'm curious as to why you think they would?

Yip the EU won't back down. Won't stop Apple trying to take legal action against them as "Apple are always right" :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    population backlash perhaps?

the EU is a joke anyway, sooner UK is out of it the better.
    let's hope an independent Scotland chooses not to be part of it either.

Switzerland and Norway seem to do fine by not being in the EU.

I think you've gone a bit off piste.

i have seen no reason to believe 'the EU would back down pretty sharpish.' Quite the opposite. the EU is a slow moving and arrogant with power, unconcerned about it's popularity. it is also the largest trading block in the world. Apple have a lot more to lose.

there would not be a revolution over iPhones.
    Forum Member
    Yip the EU won't back down. Won't stop Apple trying to take legal action against them as "Apple are always right" :rolleyes:

how would they take legal action? which court has jurisdiction to over rule the EU?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    The charger on my S3 mini which I bought 2 months ago has the cable attached.

It seems my comment about design has been answered, if you are telling me that Samsung have now changed theirs.

Wow! You love to come out as a smartarse don't you!!

Anyway, I thought you had an Ace? :confused:

I think you are missing the point. Your ace and mini 3 charger can still charge any other device on the planet other than an iphone and ipad. Seems samsung got the design right after all really surely....

I have never had a Samsung phone nor any other phone that comes with the cable attached to the charger. The Mrs S3 comes with a charger and cable separate as does my N4.

Seems to be cheaper samsung phones that come with the cable attached.

It matters not really anyway as a charger for your phone even if you could plug your ipad in wouldnt charge it anyway since it only puts out 0.7 amps and the ipad needs 2 amps. I couldn't even charge my ipad from the usb on my computer.
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with Chenks there, the micro USB was always going to be a weak point and not really up to the job considering how often you have to charge a smart phone.

Never had any issue with them on any phone i have had or any device i have had with it.

I do know people which it has broken with but thats in equal measure to the lightning connector breaking on the iphone 5 etc.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how would they take legal action? which court has jurisdiction to over rule the EU?

They would probably lobby the various governments in attempt to get it vetoed. But Apple are creative when it comes to legal action. Pity the same can't be said for their products :D
    Forum Member

You seriously think apple has that much influence to change the entire EU's thinking on it's own?!! :D
  • simps100simps100 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont want a Micro USB on my iPhone thanks, Lightning cables work well for me, as has been mentioned before i especially like how they can be plugged in any way, very handy at night!
    Forum Member
    simps100 wrote: »
    Dont want a Micro USB on my iPhone thanks, Lightning cables work well for me, as has been mentioned before i especially like how they can be plugged in any way, very handy at night!

Yet everyone else managed perfectly fine before!!

Better still, use wireless charging like me on my Nexus 4. No cables at all :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    You seriously think apple has that much influence to change the entire EU's thinking on it's own?!! :D

only one way to find out isn't there - which i suspect might happen.

can anyone honestly see apple putting micro USB ports on their devices? either the EU will revert back to the original ruling which apple currently comply with, or they will amend the new ruling to allow adaptors be included with every device to make it compliant.
  • simps100simps100 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet everyone else managed perfectly fine before!!

Better still, use wireless charging like me on my Nexus 4. No cables at all :D

That's true... Its a convenience and could manage with out it but would much rather keep it as it is.

I look forward to wireless charging becoming available in more phones over time.. does it charge just as quick and reliable in your experience?
    Forum Member
    only one way to find out isn't there - which i suspect might happen.

can anyone honestly see apple putting micro USB ports on their devices? either the EU will revert back to the original ruling which apple currently comply with, or they will amend the new ruling to allow adaptors be included with every device to make it compliant.

Well why not? Its a perfectly good connector. Just as good as lightning. There is actually no need for the lightning cable. Absolutely pointless.

I think what they will do instead is include lightning to usb cables in the box.

I don't for one second think the EU will reverse this based on 1 company not wanting to comply however!!
    Forum Member
    simps100 wrote: »
    That's true... Its a convenience and could manage with out it but would much rather keep it as it is.

I look forward to wireless charging becoming available in more phones over time.. does it charge just as quick and reliable in your experience?

It's a bit slower, but when its on charge overnight it doesn't matter! I get up in the morning and it's always fully charged!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well why not? Its a perfectly good connector. Just as good as lightning. There is actually no need for the lightning cable. Absolutely pointless.

I think what they will do instead is include lightning to usb cables in the box.

I don't for one second think the EU will reverse this based on 1 company not wanting to comply however!!

that wouldn't make it compliant to the new ruling though would it?

for the EU to allow that in the new ruling would mean the EU has backed down surely?

what happens when micro USB becomes too old and something new is needed... do we need to wait for the EU to decide what the standard should be, or should it be up to the people actually in the business of making devices to make their own decision.