Windows 8.1 - ARGH!

18910111214»

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Well I've gone for a Mac Mini, instead of a Win 8 PC. Mainly because I needed it for Final Cut Pro, but also because I didn't want to go with Win8.

I won't buy another PC until they bring out a version of Windows that is better than the previous version, not worse.

Good choice. I owned one before my iMac and found it very pleasing to use and to own.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XP is old and buggy and belongs on the tech scrapheap.

I think many of the bugs would be sorted by now since it have been out long enough, sure there will be some bugs from new code, but then i am pretty sure Mac OS have a few bugs as well. In fact I am pretty sure a friend of mine could tell me about a few if I asked.

Old yes, but if it does the job, then what is the point of changing?

The look of DS was old and they changed it and look what happened.
    Vista was ghastly and I'm surprised anyone still uses it. My dad said Vista users deserve to wear a dunce cap :p It made sense to use XP during the Vista era but not any more, not when Windows 7 is better.

I think you are being a bit hard to be honest, as I have said there are reasons why people still use it. Some people can't afford to update their computer or even their OS just because it is a bit out of date or not that great.

My next door neighbour computer stands lifeless most of the week and may be used at the weekend for a few hours, which is why I never understood why they was talked into getting FTTC. Not worth spending money on it.

Just because you can go out and afford to buy a Apple Mac, there are people who are struggling to make ends meet and buying a new computer is really not on their list.

Also, some people are now buying Tablets (yuK) so their computer with Vista or Xp is not used as much.

If I did not go for linux, Vista may still have been on my laptop, or XP , I got the disks for both as Vista was a update.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vista got a bad rep because people and OEMs, too, wanted it to run on underspecced HW. With the last service pack Vista was in a pretty much the same shape as Windows 7, but the bad rep stayed with it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Good choice. I owned one before my iMac and found it very pleasing to use and to own.

Macs are great, aren't they? :D
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Vista got a bad rep because people and OEMs, too, wanted it to run on underspecced HW. With the last service pack Vista was in a pretty much the same shape as Windows 7, but the bad rep stayed with it.

Yeah a lot of companies used to sell Vista machines with 1GB and even half a gig of RAM! I had the misfortune of fixing some of those piles of dung. I nearly threw every one of them against the wall. I was talking to a guy in a computer store a couple of years ago and he said the customers had more trouble with Vista than any other Windows version.
    neo_wales wrote: »
    XP? Nothing wrong with it, still happily used by many millions of users globally on a problem free daily basis. Vista was OK in the end after all the updates, perhaps your dads machine was just not up to running it.

How many of those users are business users though? They're slower to upgrade than home users. We never owned a computer with Vista. Dad banned it from our house because it was so ghastly.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah a lot of companies used to sell Vista machines with 1GB and even half a gig of RAM! I had the misfortune of fixing some of those piles of dung. I nearly threw every one of them against the wall. I was talking to a guy in a computer store a couple of years ago and he said the customers had more trouble with Vista than any other Windows version.

How many of those users are business users though? They're slower to upgrade than home users. We never owned a computer with Vista. Dad banned it from our house because it was so ghastly.

Sorry if this upsets you but your dad is not the yardstick by which OS systems are measured on a global scale, I'm sure you love him but he's not always right. I've used Windows from day one, overall XP and 7 have been the easiest to work with but Vista was fine in the end, a concept you can't seem to grasp. I've several legal copies of Vista and think I'll install on a laptop for old times sake and see what issues I have :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I would not worry too much, she's a recreational Windows basher. XP was shit, Vista was shit, Windows 8 and 8.1 are shit, Windows 9 will be, too. But yes, if we bribed the dad all would be different :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Vista never got in the same shape as windows 7. I agree that Vista came out before there was machines that could handle it, but then so did XP.n I can't remember the computer I had at the time XP came out. I stayed with 98 for ages after XP came out because I have seem other computers, new computers which had good specs for the day, struggling with XP.

You see how bad vista is, stick it on a machine that was around when it was launched, like my Acer laptop for instance, give it a try and then stick windows 7 on and see the difference. W7 is far better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just expensive and got a Intel chip.
    but even sticking vista on a machine with 2GB of ram and it is not that great. Next door neighbour got a quad core 2GB machine with vista and it is like a snail. I bet if I put W7 on it , the thing would work a lot better.

It is more difficult for corporations to update, they have so much software they may have to change as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Vista experience is quite limited. I bought my now rather old laptop when Vista came out, dual core processor, 2GB RAM. Vista had run very well on it. It did not feel slow. I installed W7 when it came out and it was slightly faster, but nothing miraculous. So I really can't say a bad word about Vista, it worked pretty well for me.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2317278/microsoft-compares-government-snooping-to-advanced-persistent-threats

"Microsoft has told its customers that even with all this government surveillance and whistleblowing going on, it remains faithful to users and their data"

I guess that refers to 'user data', certainly not users in the broader term.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ I would not worry too much, she's a recreational Windows basher. XP was shit, Vista was shit, Windows 8 and 8.1 are shit, Windows 9 will be, too. But yes, if we bribed the dad all would be different :p

Her Dad likes the MS Surface Pro, so work that one out.

There are two users on my ignore list which makes this thread much easier to read. :p
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this upsets you but your dad is not the yardstick by which OS systems are measured on a global scale, I'm sure you love him but he's not always right. I've used Windows from day one, overall XP and 7 have been the easiest to work with but Vista was fine in the end, a concept you can't seem to grasp. I've several legal copies of Vista and think I'll install on a laptop for old times sake and see what issues I have :)

I understand, but I still think Vista is ghastly and every experience I had with it was a nightmare. The most irritating thing, apart from all the Microsoft bloat, is the UAC and I've seen it on Vista machines. I could do without the bloody Spanish Inquisition every time I switch on the computer. Did I ask it to calculate pi to 3 million decimal places or do something impossible? No I just want to check the internet. At least my Macs let me get on with it rather than giving me the Spanish Inquisition every time I move my mouse.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most irritating thing, apart from all the Microsoft bloat, is the UAC

you do realize that you can turn UAC off ? I've never used it, but it can be helpful - my neighbour was always pestering me to fix his Windows 7 pc (viruses, unwanted toolbars etc) so I enabled UAC on his machine. Now he gets a prompt before any rogue software gets installed, and he hasn't been back since.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I understand, but I still think Vista is ghastly and every experience I had with it was a nightmare. The most irritating thing, apart from all the Microsoft bloat, is the UAC and I've seen it on Vista machines. I could do without the bloody Spanish Inquisition every time I switch on the computer. Did I ask it to calculate pi to 3 million decimal places or do something impossible? No I just want to check the internet. At least my Macs let me get on with it rather than giving me the Spanish Inquisition every time I move my mouse.

What? .... Obviously little basic knowledge of the OS...Kind of devalues anything you say on the subject...
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand, but I still think Vista is ghastly and every experience I had with it was a nightmare.
    It's been perfectly stable for a long time now...

Returning to the topic, all I can say is that I'm far happier with Windows 8.1 that I ever was with Windows 8 mainly because they have made it far easier to turn all the unwanted crap off.

II had to manually update all my drivers though as that app that was supposed to update them only looked for Windows 8 drivers and didn't suggest the Windows 8.1 drivers as "newer" versions.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XP is old and buggy and belongs on the tech scrapheap.

I have 2 Dell laptop running XP and they are both very stable. I have no idea what is buggy about it.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Her Dad likes the MS Surface Pro, so work that one out.

There are two users on my ignore list which makes this thread much easier to read. :p

Yeah he's getting the Surface Pro for Christmas and he's looking forward to it. Who are the users on your ignore list, may I ask? ;)
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    you do realize that you can turn UAC off ? I've never used it, but it can be helpful - my neighbour was always pestering me to fix his Windows 7 pc (viruses, unwanted toolbars etc) so I enabled UAC on his machine. Now he gets a prompt before any rogue software gets installed, and he hasn't been back since.

I know, but when I was using any Vista machine I never looked at it as I was always using it on someone else's computer and the owners of those computers were a few gigabytes short of a hard drive. I'd probably get the Spanish Inquisition about why I supposedly messed with it :o
    I have 2 Dell laptop running XP and they are both very stable. I have no idea what is buggy about it.

Well it was good in its day but it has become very old now and it might become more buggy once support ends for good.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah he's getting the Surface Pro for Christmas and he's looking forward to it. Who are the users on your ignore list, may I ask? ;)

I know, but when I was using any Vista machine I never looked at it as I was always using it on someone else's computer and the owners of those computers were a few gigabytes short of a hard drive. I'd probably get the Spanish Inquisition about why I supposedly messed with it :o

Well it was good in its day but it has become very old now and it might become more buggy once support ends for good.

Put the spade away, the hole you've dug yourself into is deep enough now lol.
    Forum Member
    Put the spade away, the hole you've dug yourself into is deep enough now lol.

Should I start writing my last will and testament as well? :p
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244614/Microsoft_exec_hints_at_separate_Windows_release_trains_for_consumers_businessAlways looking likely. You can't impose/create new stuff unless the buyer is a consumer. Businesses use, so if it works they really don't need change.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244614/Microsoft_exec_hints_at_separate_Windows_release_trains_for_consumers_businessAlways looking likely. You can't impose/create new stuff unless the buyer is a consumer. Businesses use, so if it works they really don't need change.

Interesting. So that would mean a sort of return to the days of Windows NT and 9x? Will Windows 8.11 for Workgroups be coming out next year as well? :D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    IMHO they've got the split wrong. It isn't between consumers and business, it's between computers and tablets/phones.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So:
    1. You agree it isn't buggy at the moment
    2. Can you explain how bugs will spontaneously appear once support ends?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So:
    1. You agree it isn't buggy at the moment
    2. Can you explain how bugs will spontaneously appear once support ends?

So glad someone asked that. There could be bugs that have not been found yet and now never will be, but they would have still been there anyway.

Security may be the problem, but if you get a good security suite and careful with where you go, then it will be fine.