US VISA scam - please help

kikifikikifi Posts: 326
Forum Member
Hi

i had to apply for a us visa for myself and partner.

i googled esta visa and went to the website and filled in the application. thought it was a bit odd after the event that they hadnt told me how much it cost me and sent no receipt (should be $14. rang my bank and actually got charged $140. tried to cancel transaction but they cant. Tried ringing the company no answer. i can ring the banks dispute team tomorrow who said will sort but am not sure what will happen.

know I'm an idiot to fall for a scam, i thought i was more savvy - obviously not :(

has anyone had anything similar, what happened? For info i didn't pay on a credit card unfortunately

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the name of the site:-

This is the official one: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

If it wasn't that one, then you went via a handling agent, if that was the case and you have been issued your ESTA, then they have performed the service that you paid for, albeit at a very expensive cost.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kikifi wrote: »
    Hi

i had to apply for a us visa for myself and partner.

i googled esta visa and went to the website and filled in the application. thought it was a bit odd after the event that they hadnt told me how much it cost me and sent no receipt (should be $14. rang my bank and actually got charged $140. tried to cancel transaction but they cant. Tried ringing the company no answer. i can ring the banks dispute team tomorrow who said will sort but am not sure what will happen.

know I'm an idiot to fall for a scam, i thought i was more savvy - obviously not :(

has anyone had anything similar, what happened? For info i didn't pay on a credit card unfortunately

Sorry , yeah, you've been screwed. $14 for 2 years is the current rate. Not sure you can do anything about it now, Just be careful they actually lodge your application and don't just throw it in the bin now they're got the cash!
  • kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the right one website. Is second on google search results. Just wanted to know if I can try and dispute on the basis they didn't advertise the cost therefore misled me. I know it should have twigged I am kicking myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the right one website. Is second on google search results. Just wanted to know if I can try and dispute on the basis they didn't advertise the cost therefore misled me. I know it should have twigged I am kicking myself.

What was the site?

BTW, the US government should be doing more to stamp out these blatent con artists! The green card application is plauged with similar schemes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you get your ESTA?

If so, then I don't think so as you have paid for the service and received your goods. A complaint to trading standards, a visit to the CAB, other than that I don't know.
    Forum Member
    Esta visas.org. Thanks irish guy. Will ring bank and say want refund on the basis they misled me with price and didn't make clear was a third party. They don't open till 8am so don't think will sleep tonight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    What was the site?

BTW, the US government should be doing more to stamp out these blatent con artists! The green card application is plauged with similar schemes

Probably this one: https://www.estavisas.org/
    Forum Member
    Yeah I've received the visa, not even sure it's legitimate! I feel so hopeless, I've rang bank twice tried to ring company, emailed them three times looked online for similar stories. I'm gutted
    Forum Member
    Got it in one dearmrman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's shocking... it is literally the exact same process on the actual site... yet they charge 10 times more! Unfortunately if you've paid by debit card I;m not sure what you can do to get your cash back... you miht be just stuck with have to continue with their service.
    Forum Member
    I know tell me about it. Couldn't believe the bank couldn't cancel the transaction as pending but as I had authorised online there is nothing they can do. I know it's only £200 in the main scheme of things but I'm really upset
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've received the visa, not even sure it's legitimate! I feel so hopeless, I've rang bank twice tried to ring company, emailed them three times looked online for similar stories. I'm gutted

I would say it is legit, I have not known any that are doing fake ones, the only thing they do wrong is charge an extortionate fee.

You should be able to check if it is legit, by going on to the official website, and click on retrieve application, and enter the details it asks for, this will bring up your ESTA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know tell me about it. Couldn't believe the bank couldn't cancel the transaction as pending but as I had authorised online there is nothing they can do. I know it's only £200 in the main scheme of things but I'm really upset

It's especially galling that you're still having to go through the exact same stieps yet being charged so much more for it... with no guarantees it will get processed. Check on the actual ESTA web site every so often to confirm they've processed it and not chuckec it in the bin
    Forum Member
    Hi, thanks for advice. I have checked the legit website and the visa has been processed. So will had to go down misleading customer. What an idiot. Lesson learnt, will let you know what bank says.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, thanks for advice. I have checked the legit website and the visa has been processed. So will had to go down misleading customer. What an idiot. Lesson learnt, will let you know what bank says.

Worth a try but I doubt you'll have any luck... they've not done anything wrong as far as I can see.... they processed your application on your behalf and charged you that amount to do so... the fact that you had to enter in the exact same information to them as they entered on the ESTA probably doesn't change a thing.... sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck with the bank, these handling agents are good at what they do and fool a lot of people, so I wouldn't call yourself an idiot. They have been around since day one of the ESTA rules coming into place, had plenty of time to trap lots of people.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh these companies make my blood boil. Dont be so hard on yourself, it's so easily done which is why they are all still in business. They pay a premium to get their SEO's above the official websites. I would check on their T&C's and see if there is a cancellation period (e.g. 48 hrs or something...) Let us know how you get on, if only to stop someone else doing the same thing :(
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your honesty irish guy, will still try. First time I have been scammed, so will try and take as far as I can. Looking at their terms and conditions, and says you can't cancel, no refunds etc. they may be different with a bank. However they don't state any prices at all therefore they have misled me as a customer and going to try and use this as much as I can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine they'll claim that the didn;t mislead you.. nowhere on the site does it say they are the actual government site. They also claim that tha additional charges are for them filling out the form for you and having an expert support person you can talk to about the procedure. They'll say the support coupled with their experts in Visa programs is worth the money.... problem is that a 10 year old could fill out an Esta form without any problems.

But still, give the bank a try... you might be in luck and have some kind of insurance protection against this sort of thing
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    I would check on their T&C's and see if there is a cancellation period (e.g. 48 hrs or something...)

Why would they have a cooling-off period? The whole point of such sites (even if we give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're offering a genuine service) is that they submit the application immediately. They'd hardly offer you a refund after you've got your ESTA.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine at some point before you clicked "purchase" it told you how much they were going to charge you.
    Obviously you weren't paying attention.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Why would they have a cooling-off period? The whole point of such sites (even if we give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're offering a genuine service) is that they submit the application immediately. They'd hardly offer you a refund after you've got your ESTA.

:( I dont know. Was just trying to help :o. I thought maybe she could cancel it and take out a new one with ESTA themselves..?
    Forum Member
    I imagine at some point before you clicked "purchase" it told you how much they were going to charge you.
    Obviously you weren't paying attention.

No they didn't at all.
    Forum Member
    I know you were lozenger, thanks for all help from everybody. Basically I'm stuffed (don't you hate it when it's not what you want to hear ha) but will speak to bank and let you know. Now going to speak to boyfriend and hope he forgives me as used joint account whoops
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These sites used to exist even when ESTA was free. Now it's even easier to get conned by them as the real ESTA has a charge as well (though not so much!).