People who throw acid into the faces of women

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
with the intention to hideously scar them for life.

If convicted of the crime what action would you take (if it were up to you) to punish them - if inded you believe in punishment.

If it isn't say, your sister, wife, mother or daughter, would you take a liberal approach - for one reason it is costly to imprison criminals.

What would you think would be a just response to this seemingly increasingly common crime?

Comments

• kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Carbon Freeze, for all eternity.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    prison and therapy.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A long jail sentence.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throwing corrosive acid at any person should attract a whole life tariff.

As for the cost of prison, I believe prisons should be more productive to offset the costs.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »

If convicted of the crime what action would you take (if it were up to you) to punish them - if inded you believe in punishment.

If it isn't say, your sister, wife, mother or daughter, would you take a liberal approach - for one reason it is costly to imprison criminals.

What would you think would be a just response to this seemingly increasingly common crime?

Suitable acid retaliation! - or castration with a blunt rusty knife!!.
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prison and therapy.

Why would therapy help?
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bloke who threw acid in the face of the Russian ballet creative director was recently sentenced to ten years in a maximum security prison. But the creative director was a bloke too.
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Why would therapy help?

throwing acid into people`s faces isn`t normal or acceptable, why would you NOT think it`s sensible to address the underlying issues that lead to this kind of behaviour?

prison should rehabilitate as well as punish.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A beating within an inch of their lives - what a scummy discusting thing to do.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prison and therapy.

But you haven't said how long.

Which is key.
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    throwing acid into people`s faces isn`t normal or acceptable, why would you NOT think it`s sensible to address the underlying issues that lead to this kind of behaviour?

Because the person who does it is probably a fundamentalist that no amount of therapy will help as it is a faith, can't you see that.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    People who throw acid at people are weak, pussies, gutless what ever you want to call them. Wastes of space.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Throwing corrosive acid at any person should attract a whole life tariff.

As for the cost of prison, I believe prisons should be more productive to offset the costs.

This. It's not as if 2 people are having a heated argument and one grabs the nearest jug of acid!!! It is a 100% deliberate attempt to horribly disfigure someone in the most painful way possible. It is up there with child rape and murder. Whoever does it is seriously unhinged. However I do take task with the op saying it is becoming increasingly common. No it isn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    The sad thing in this latest case, is that the girl who allegedly threw acid in the other girl's face was her friend, and they had a silly argument where she called her ugly, so obviously tried to even the score and then some.

With friends like that, who needs enemies? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I would hope they would be part of that , 52 I think isn't it? group where they are in for life! no questions.
    But I expect not :(
    Forum Member
    But you haven't said how long.

Which is key.

it`s difficult to say because we aren`t in possession of all the facts or any mitigation etc, but i don`t think that somewhere between 6 - 10 years is unreasonable based on what`s available thus far.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

It's not that common. not here.
    NHS statistics for England do not separate out acid attacks. In 2011-12 there were 105 hospital admissions in England for "assault by corrosive substance", but the category covers more than just acid.

it seems to be motivated by sex and jealousy. as in if i can't have you, nobody can.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. It is up there with crimes done by people who don't deserve a second chance. They know the rules and the consequences of breaking them. What is the point of deterrents if we then say, '' Oh you poor troubled person. We will help you to become good again '' So they get another chance, unlike the victim? :o No way.
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Because the person who does it is probably a fundamentalist that no amount of therapy will help as it is a faith, can't you see that.

what are you talking about? they were friends who fell out over a bloke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s difficult to say because we aren`t in possession of all the facts or any mitigation etc, but i don`t think that somewhere between 6 - 10 years is unreasonable based on what`s available thus far.

Ok. Can you suggest a mitigation for throwing acid to melt someones face off?

EDIT I suppose being insane is one - but life in prison or life in a mental facility...6 of one half a dozen of another.

Would there be any others?
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    No. It is up there with crimes done by people who don't deserve a second chance. They know the rules and the consequences of breaking them. What is the point of deterrents if we then say, '' Oh you poor troubled person. We will help you to become good again '' So they get another chance, unlike the victim? :o No way.

it`s not about sympathy for the offender, it`s about preventing it repeat behaviour, how can that EVER be wrong?
    Forum Member
    Ok. Can you suggest a mitigation for throwing acid to melt someones face off?

EDIT I suppose being insane is one - but life in prison or life in a mental facility...6 of one half a dozen of another.

Would there be any others?

some kind of mental problem, obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some kind of mental problem, obviously.

They should spend their life in a secure facility. Any others?
    Forum Member
    They should spend their life in a secure facility. Any others?

not necessarily, in my opinion.

any other mitigation than some kind of mental issue? that`s not broad enough?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any other mitigation than some kind of mental issue? that`s not broad enough?

Broad enough for what? I'm asking if that is the only one, if there are no others you can just say "no"/"Not that I can think of".