England vs Uruguay - ITV1 19/6 8pm

Comments

• SnipitSnipit Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Awful Awful performance. Passion thats what Uruguay had, it meant something to them.

We also need to demand a good look at our Premier league and the damage it doing to our national team. The English squad of players are simply not good enough.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    so ... the ox would have marked Suarez?

That was the only real difference.

He would have had the pace and power that Gerrard so painfully lacked. That would have provided more link between midfield and attack and Steve wouldn't have been able to make his blunder. Not that any England manager has the balls to drop him it seems.

But yeah, the defence was shaky as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    so ... the ox would have marked Suarez?

That was the only real difference.

Come on the difference was we couldn't string 3 passes together and rarely looked like scoring a goal. We were in their half but other than maybe twice I can't think of a time when we tested them. Just meaningless passes outside the box and a cross the keeper or row Z.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    We had a far stronger squad in 2010 yet managed to embarrass ourselves against Algeria and America and were humiliated by Germany.

We played reasonably well but didn't have enough about us. We suspected enough at the start of the tournament; we just don't have the players to choose from.

I do agree to an extent, but the defending was truly awful in both matches and that's why we're going out.
  • JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An utter load of crap. Hodgson must go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snipit wrote: »
    Awful Awful performance. Passion thats what Uruguay had, it meant something to them.

We also need to demand a good look at our Premier league and the damage it doing to our national team. The English squad of players are simply not good enough.

Other leagues seem to have a lot more players from their country while the Premier League has lots of foreign imports. That makes for higher quality but damages the national side. However, I don't blame teams for looking abroad for transfers because English players seem to command a price that is far inflated above what their quality merits. Foreign players are cheaper and more talented.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on the difference was we couldn't string 3 passes together and rarely looked like scoring a goal. We were in their half but other than maybe twice I can't think of a time when we tested them. Just meaningless passes outside the box and a cross the keeper or row Z.

Our passing accuracy percentage was 82% to Uruguay's 64% - we weren't that bad.

By all means I'm not saying we were great; we weren't. But we weren't as poor - in general - as some make out. One thing to bear in mind when considering our play today compared to Saturday is Uruguay were far more physical than Italy and closed us down quicker which meant we weren't granted the time we had on Saturday to play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sturridge's shots never tested the keeper.

Rooney had one chance and I'll happily say he was one of our best players but my god I honestly can't believe how some arent more outraged at his miss. He had so much time. He could have stopped and picked his spot.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snipit wrote: »

They had killer instinct in front of goal and a legitimately great forward who can win a game. Passion is the most meaningless buzzword to ever infect football discussion
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree to an extent, but the defending was truly awful in both matches and that's why we're going out.

Can't disagree with that. Even in their aging state I bet Gary Neville, Cole, Ferdinand and Terry would have been better than Johnson, Baines, Cahill and Jagielka - especially the latter who just didn't deal with Suarez at all tonight.
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Yes and with Italy playing that is within the realms of possibility, especially against a team they are expected to beat.

Nah, as someone said earlier, if Costa Rica win tomorrow then England are out.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Why would getting lots of money and playing in a mid table side effect whether someone gives a lit of effort in international games?

When I watch so called lesser teams like Sweden and Norway play as a team wanting to play and playing their hearts out then compare them to the English squad, I do wonder why there is a difference. Look at Costa Rica against Uruguay, then look at the English players, who seemed to care more? England managers traditionally pick players from the big clubs (or those in vogue) rather than those who are playing well or who can play together well. For example Le Tissier was under-used but if he'd moved to ? Man U he'd have had at least 20 more caps, even if he'd been a proven failure.
    I thought Capello wasn't going to care about what the media and public said and pick players who were best at the roles he had for them rather than do the usual and do what everyone wants, sadly he didn't. Now we have Roy trying to justify why, a player who hasn't shone in finals for eight years, should be in the side rather than letting someone else have a go.

I wasn't mad or upset tonight, not even disappointed I was expecting that outcome.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sturridge's shots never tested the keeper.

Rooney had one chance and I'll happily say he was one of our best players but my god I honestly can't believe how some arent more outraged at his miss. He had so much time. He could have stopped and picked his spot.

Cahill was our best player, but we are supposed to be blaming our defence.
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Just had a text. "Even a pissed Paul Gascoigne could do better than that lot..."

Gazza has been seen arriving at the England Team Hotel with a six pack of lager, a few bags of chips and a fishing rod.
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JOSWolf wrote: »
    An utter load of crap. Hodgson must go.

Oh dear ... as if Hodgson is the problem.

Let's sack Hodgson and bring in the best manager in the world and leave the infrastructure alone ... that'll do the trick!!
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People always trot out the "foreign players" stuff but no one ever wonders why other sides have lots of players who play in foreign leagues, yet no one seems to want English players, or why English players don't seem to want to go abroad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Balotelli. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People always trot out the "foreign players" stuff but no one ever wonders why other sides have lots of players who play in foreign leagues, yet no one seems to want English players, or why English players don't seem to want to go abroad.

Don't seem to want to leave their comfort zone. Perhaps the big continental sides aren't interested either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

I think thats kind to Cahill.
  • LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England lost the match because of individual errors and a certain person's class. I do agree to an extent; how Gerrard got away without criticism I'm not sure but the poor passing was touched upon and they must have thought blasting the defending for the goals was enough.

Both sides made mistakes at the back. Suarez took advantage; Rooney (as he headed against the bar and shot straight at the keeper when free) didn't manage to have quite the same impact.

I agree.

The number of times that England players side footed the ball to the Uruguay goalkeeper instead of shooting was embarrassing. Jagielka at fault for the first goal, and if Hart had stood up to the shot for the second he would have saved it.

I feel sorry for Hodgson because he has millionaires out there who don't give a flying whatsit. Rooney was the worst player on the pitch in the first half.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By all means I'm not saying we were great; we weren't. But we weren't as poor - in general - as some make out. One thing to bear in mind when considering our play today compared to Saturday is Uruguay were far more physical than Italy and closed us down quicker which meant we weren't granted the time we had on Saturday to play.

I get your point and agree my issue is we never did a thing to counter it. Sturridge had a poor game and IMO Lambert provides a much better threat for what England were trying to do on the wing so should have come on far earlier. Hodgson had the exact same game plan against Italy even the subs were the same. But for some reason he took until the 86th minute to bring on Lambert and shake things up. Which was far far far too late. Should have been done after Rooney's goal.

Also our attitude was never right. I remember one point in the game about 2 minutes after Rooney scored and the commentor said "the momentum is with England", we had a throw in which the players gave it to each other so slowly none of which wanting to get the game going. Our attitude had "play for a draw" all over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I can see Italy coming through for England and winning both games. Problem is, I still see England failing though.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

He must have been on a toilet break when we conceded those goals then?

Can you take off your Chelsea blinkers for once ?
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Well done Fudd for not jumping on the 'They were crap Bandwagon' I personally thought they put a lot into the game, they knew a fit Suarez was a big threat and that proved to be right. You can look at the aspects of play that were weaker that is all well and good but to just insult is not constructive at all.

Have to save utter respect to Suarez btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member

Maybe they aren't really wanted abroad? A lot of these other countries have more than enough of their own good players, have to since so many of theirs are over here :D

We need the leagues here to bring up young English players and support them more, instead of focusing on the best players from the rest of the world. They won't of course, but our England managers have hardly anyone to choose from, and have been warning of it for years.