Options

last Tango in Halifax tonight BBC 1 at 9 pm.

Comments

• Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theia wrote: »
    I like Celia. I think she's a very honest character. I also like the way her relationship with her daughter is portrayed

I surprise myself by my sympathy towards Celia, despite the fact that she hurts most the people who don't deserve it, ie Caroline. If she were played by an actor of lower calibre than Anne Reid, then she would just come over as a vituperative old cow, but Anne Reid displays her vulnerability to a fine degree. imho.

I think Alan is a silly old fool, he 'had a fling' for crissake, well he didn't fling it far enough because like a boomerang it has come back.

I also dont trust Rupert Graves, he seldom plays uncomplicated roles and although it would seem he is not after money, I think he wants to punish Alan for what he did to his mother.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I surprise myself by my sympathy towards Celia, despite the fact that she hurts most the people who don't deserve it, ie Caroline. If she were played by an actor of lower calibre than Anne Reid, then she would just come over as a vituperative old cow, but Anne Reid displays her vulnerability to a fine degree. imho.

C'mon, hands up! I know its sort of easy to work out but who else had to google, "what exactly does 'vituperative' mean?" :blush: ;-) Now I know I'm going to try and use that word in conversation tomorrow! :D

And yes, Anne Reid is just superb in this.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    They pinched that from 'The Office'. That happened to David Brent when he tried to switch one off.

Anne Reid has made me really dislike Celia during this episode. That is good acting on her part.

Exactly. I think she's a fantastic actress but her character in this is so unsympathetic. I wonder if this is deliberate or the writing. Was it the writer's mother or father who the original story was based on?
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She actually reminds me of my own mother (even to her looks). She would rather make a nasty comment than a gentle one but I think it was the age that she grew up in. Never show your true feelings. Only ever black or white and so on. However, she would never have been so cruel as to not come to my wedding.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Alan is a silly old fool, he 'had a fling' for crissake, well he didn't fling it far enough because like a boomerang it has come back.

I also dont trust Rupert Graves, he seldom plays uncomplicated roles and although it would seem he is not after money, I think he wants to punish Alan for what he did to his mother.

I agree. there is something not right about the "son" character.His face is frozen into a smile that suggests he might be out for revenge.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    I am so glad that Sally Wainwright resisted the temptation to have Celia turn up to the wedding at the last minute. That is what would have happened in most dramas/soaps and Caroline's dismissal of Alan was a real shocker.

As others have said, I can see my mother in Celia.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, the writing and Anne Reid's acting are superb and that, I think, is my reason for liking/sympathising with Celia. I too see my mother in her and, if I'm honest, I can see certain characteristics in myself, the difference being that I might think certain things but I don't act them out. I know for certain that I would have felt the same as Celia in those circumstances although I would have buried them and attended the wedding. As another poster said, well done to the writer for not taking that route.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking episode, and as others have said superb acting from Anne Reid.

The only distracting thing for me with this drama is that for some reason I don't find the relationship between Caroline and Kate all that believable in terms of how it is played? I don't think its down to the writing.

Not a huge fan of the actress who plays Kate, perhaps that's why? :confused:
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theia wrote: »
    I like Celia. I think she's a very honest character. I also like the way her relationship with her daughter is portrayed

So do I. Anne Reid plays her marvellously. Celia was very, very badly let down on numerous occasions by her husband but she still managed to bring her daughter up very well and see her through Uni etc. I think it takes a very strong woman to do that and never bother with other men ..... Until Alan, in her twilight years.

She is a very black and white person, very principled and determined. I believe many of her generation were and I admire her for standing up for what she believes rather than backing down and pretending she's happy about all that's going on around her, as many people would. I think it was great that the producers allowed things to go this way and I look forward to next weeks episode.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else sick of seeing Caroline waltzing around school with a mobile phone glued to her ear discussing all manner of personal things? I don't think that's the sort of example headmistresses would be setting in reality.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    I am so glad that Sally Wainwright resisted the temptation to have Celia turn up to the wedding at the last minute. That is what would have happened in most dramas/soaps and Caroline's dismissal of Alan was a real shocker.

As others have said, I can see my mother in Celia.

Yes - I'd have been disappointed if Celia had got out of the car and followed Alan up the path...

I couldn't believe that Caroline sent him packing though.

The look ok his face at the end spoke volumes - if only some other actors could remember that less is sometimes definitely more.

As with many others, I think Anne Reid is superb and Sarah Lancashire oozes class (how far has little Raquel from Coronation street come..) but they can only be as good as they are because of the rest of the cast who are supporting them. For me the standout is Nicola Walker who inhabits Gillian's difficult and precarious world and her prickly persona brilliantly.

I can't wait to see how it pans out - I also can't believe that the 'son' really doesn't want anything.....
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    So do I. Anne Reid plays her marvellously. Celia was very, very badly let down on numerous occasions by her husband but she still managed to bring her daughter up very well and see her through Uni etc. I think it takes a very strong woman to do that and never bother with other men ..... Until Alan, in her twilight years.

She is a very black and white person, very principled and determined. I believe many of her generation were and I admire her for standing up for what she believes rather than backing down and pretending she's happy about all that's going on around her, as many people would. I think it was great that the producers allowed things to go this way and I look forward to next weeks episode.

Now that ^ is exactly how I would have expressed my opinion of Celia, had the words come to me. Brilliant post, thank you!
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the way the discussion on this forum has livened up a bit :)

Review of episode two:

"This is not about happy ever after. This is about real life and the challenges that are thrown up along the way."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/last-tango-in-halifax-series-3-episode-2-review-sally-wainwrights-drama-is-keeping-us-hooked-9956726.html
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The only distracting thing for me with this drama is that for some reason I don't find the relationship between Caroline and Kate all that believable in terms of how it is played? I don't think its down to the writing.

I have always felt that Kate was allowing Caroline to love her, if you see what I mean. She is very enigmatic and her face does not express emotion so I never really know what she is thinking or feeling. I wonder if it is due to Botox or is the actor just underplaying the role?
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

There's got to be more to him than meets the eye surely?
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the preview for next week.
    Can't wait.Hurry on Sunday.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    There's got to be more to him than meets the eye surely?

I think so, I don't trust him as far as I could throw him, the whole nicey, nice, nice exterior I think is hiding something else- The way the 'he doesn't want anything' has been emphasized also makes me think there's a twist in the tale. (I was thinking con man or something but I can't see see how that would work)

Otherwise, sublime acting from all involved, especially Anne Reid, who makes a really rather unpleasant character in Celia bearable, and you can see so much life in her as others have said. The show is an absolute class act and thoroughly deserving of its praise
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I feel the same. Not sure if the actress is uncomfortable playing a lesbian character or if she's just not as good as the other actors on the show. She looks uncomfortable when Sarah Lancashire touches her tenderly and seems to freeze when she kisses her. Maybe her character is just frigid. :D

I've seen that actress on other shows and whilst she's a very competent actress she always comes off a little cold in the roles she plays.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else sick of seeing Caroline waltzing around school with a mobile phone glued to her ear discussing all manner of personal things? I don't think that's the sort of example headmistresses would be setting in reality.

Totally agree and I said as much to my DH last night. That's the only thing I am unhappy about in this otherwise brilliant series. :)
  • Options
    sergeiksergeik Posts: 1,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved Sarah Lancashire this episode, when she said she was nervous she really did look nervous. The four leads are superb in my view and it really elevates this show, it must make it so much easier to write when you've got people who can sell it so well.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it again.
    It was amazingly understated acting by Anne Reid, and a welcome change from the usual overstated acting of other shows.Her face just dissolved slowly as she reacted to Alans revelation.It just felt so genuine.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member

I agree about Kate. I dont know if the actress is just not as good as everyone else or what is is but kate and Caroline don't seem to match. I don't get the feeling that Kate gives as much to the relationship as Caroline does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    What if Gary isn't Alan's son, but his brother's (Ted?) whose in Australia? Gary said his father was "that Buttershaw man"
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goldie146 wrote: »
    What if Gary isn't Alan's son, but his brother's (Ted?) whose in Australia? Gary said his father was "that Buttershaw man"

That's a good point.

But Alan did admit to sleeping with Gary's mother but again, that doesnt mean that Gary is his son. She could have slept with both brothers :o:D
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,084
    Forum Member
    I definitely think Alan's son is going to turn out to be something he's not. That smile he gave Alan when they were in the study looking at the Wuthering Heights first edition was false. He had a big, toothy grin but his eyes weren't smiling, they were cold.