Dogs cant talk but do they know what were saying?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Dogs cant talk, but do you think they know what english is?

and does anyone know if dogs can talk to other dogs?

Comments

• cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them can understand a great number of words and commands. Tests have shown they can even match 2D images of objects with the object itself - without any assistance.

They also have a fantastic sense of what sort of mood we are in, and how weak or strong we are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They understand many words, well mine does. They also know the time of day.

I walk to the pub a 6pm and he gets up and sits in front of me.:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    My dog understands everything I say and I say a lot to him! He knows so much. I think on the whole dogs are very intelligent animals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog Scruffy certainly knows certain words, and today we were in a Tesco's car park when he heard another dog. He got agitated at first but then the dog in the distance would bark, then Scruffy had his "say"! I'm sure they were chatting. Also like another poster has said, they know our moods, as if I show any sign of even minimal road rage, Scruffy gets agitated too. :confused:
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baxter knows the following words: treat, biscuit, sausage, cat, good boy, crisps, wee wee, water, tripe stick, dinner.

He can't seem to understand sit, stay, come or no.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Baxter knows the following words: treat, biscuit, sausage, cat, good boy, crisps, wee wee, water, tripe stick, dinner.

He can't seem to understand sit, stay, come or no

That might just be selective though ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »

He can't seem to understand sit, stay, come or no.
    HollyC wrote: »
    That might just be selective though ;)

I would agree with this....seems Baxter is a smartie! :D P.s, I love his name. :)
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog understands a few words.

He gets excited at "walkies" or "park"

and runs away and hides at "brush" or "bath"
  • Little-IanLittle-Ian Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog picks and chooses on what he understands, walk, park, food, attract his attention, leave the cat alone, completly ignores me :);)
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Our Virginia (Jinnie) has learnt lots of meanings to words over her 8 years.

Ball, stick, chocolate, pub, down, paw etc. The latest word she has "learned" is weekend. When I walk in from work on a Friday I say "Jinnie, it's the weekend" she goes mad (excited)!:D

She has also learned many subtle hand signals.

She does communicate with other dogs but rarely vocally - usually body language.

She regularly has "words" with postie.
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what are you talking about?? of course they do! :) and my dog Max talks back to me
  • tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Reading the title reminded me of the Gary Larson "Far Side" cartoon about Ginger the dog:

"What We Say To Dogs/What Dogs Hear" and the first panel has a woman scolding her dog, saying "Bad dog, Ginger! That was not a nice thing to do, Ginger. I am so upset with you, Ginger." Second panel was identical, except the word-ballon now said "Blah blah blah Ginger! Blah blah blah Ginger! Blah blah Ginger!"
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tynka bell wrote: »
    Reading the title reminded me of the Gary Larson "Far Side" cartoon about Ginger the dog:

"What We Say To Dogs/What Dogs Hear" and the first panel has a woman scolding her dog, saying "Bad dog, Ginger! That was not a nice thing to do, Ginger. I am so upset with you, Ginger." Second panel was identical, except the word-ballon now said "Blah blah blah Ginger! Blah blah blah Ginger! Blah blah Ginger!"

They did a similar thing in 'Frasier'. First with Martin talking to Eddie (the dog in case you don't know:mad:)) - then with Frasier and Niles talking about psychology to Martin (blah blah blah..... dad.... blah blah blah ....... dad? blah blah.....dad!" etc.

Of course dogs understand - although they can be selective.

The other week I went down to see friends of mine (including Freddie the Labrador). Normally I try to bring Freddie at least one bone (yeah, I'm popular). This time I had none.

In the pub I told him I had some bad news (sad eyes stright away) - I didn't have any bones. He put his paw on my knee (never done that before). He knew what was said.

I don't know if he was saying it was ok or expressing indignation.

He's a kindly chap so I presume the former.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Some of them can understand a great number of words and commands. Tests have shown they can even match 2D images of objects with the object itself - without any assistance.

They also have a fantastic sense of what sort of mood we are in, and how weak or strong we are.

I agree with this, I take my yorkies up to my nanny's every Saturday... she has always had dogs, but her last 2 passed away about 3 years ago. She has Vascular Dementia now and would not be able to take on anymore dogs, so our dogs are her little surrogates, and they often have a little holiday up there in the summer! When we are there though the dogs are feircly protective of her and almost guard her... we never get a look in, they automatically look to her to be leader of the pack.... I think that is because we naturally submit because it is 'nanny's house' the dogs sense that and look to her for command, and more often that not ignore what ever we say!

At our house they are completely different and do what ever we say!

I don't think my dogs would understand a conversation, but they deffinately understand 'words and commands', like 'Bed' or 'Bad' or 'Walkies' and 'going in the car' (they know that means they are going to see Nanny lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    They understand many words, well mine does. They also know the time of day.

I walk to the pub a 6pm and he gets up and sits in front of me.:D:D

True my OH gets home from work about 5.30 and around 5.15 the dogs both sit on the stairs looking out for him.