Options

Mars bar different?

David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
Forum Member
✭✭
Couple of weeks ago bought some normal-sized mars bars in a pack, noticed they taste a lot different!

Have they changed the recipe or did we just get a bad run? they are different enough (and worse) that we wont be buying any more!

So new recipe or bad batch? (all the bars in the pack taste the same)

Comments

• Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couple of weeks ago bought some normal-sized mars bars in a pack, noticed they taste a lot different!

Have they changed the recipe or did we just get a bad run? they are different enough (and worse) that we wont be buying any more!

So new recipe or bad batch? (all the bars in the pack taste the same)

Source Wikipedia:

In Autumn 2010, Mars Bars had 15% of saturated fat removed from its range through the use of sunflower oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_bar
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Source Wikipedia:

In Autumn 2010, Mars Bars had 15% of saturated fat removed from its range through the use of sunflower oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_bar

Anyone else notice the difference? They are basically a different choc now :(
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice the difference? They are basically a different choc now :(

Saturated fat ain't good for you though dude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Neither is living in Britain!

Seriously though I want to choose... nanny state... my life... my choices... etc etc (condensed arguments we all seen before!)
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously though I want to choose... nanny state... my life... my choices... etc etc (condensed arguments we all seen before!)

Dip them in lard between bites.
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This'll upset the Scots...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    Dip them in lard between bites.

Perhaps they should come with a free sachet of lard?

Joking aside, they do taste a lot different, any one else notice this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member

More likely to do with customer demand. Saturated fats aren't that bad for you in a balanced diet, but people don't eat enough oily fish etc, to balance out all the fats they get from junk food, so they expect the junk food to do the job for them.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it still help you work, rest and play?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    They did it with Tizer. WTF can't they just leave things alone?
    (if it ain't broke-knacker it completely by 'improving' and modifying it)
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the sizes are all messed up now. They stopped doing the King size and now sell two smallish ones called a duo. Totally weak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Yeah they don't taste quite as good somehow, I noticed that the other day. But then I suppose if they are slightly better for you it might mean you live a few weeks longer.

They aren't the only ones to change things over the years though, Tizer isn't the same as it used to be and neither are Pot Noodles. They actually used to be quite tasty cardboard, now they just taste like bland cardboard. Pickled onion Monster Munch doesn't cause your face to screw up anymore as they aren't as strong as they used to be either. :(
  • Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the goodness of sugar?!
    And only 16p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZG1hBl83E&feature=related
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    They did something similar with Milky Way and changed it beyond recognition, I've not bought any since, they're horrible. What's a bit of saturated fat in a Mars or a Milky Way? It's confectionary ffs, not a staple dietry item. :mad:
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member

Not sure the nanny state argument holds any water in this case since they weren't actually forced to change the recipe.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    Not sure the nanny state argument holds any water in this case since they weren't actually forced to change the recipe.

The "nanny state" whinge very rarely stands up if you actually think whenever it's used.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I can't say I buy them but it seems kind of dumb to pig about with them.

We know they are not a healthy or slimming choice - removing a bit of fat doesn't make them healthy.

Peoplwe are old enough and ugly enough to be able to make choices
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aero bubbly mint is still ....... mmmmmm, yum!

Brought to you by Nestle, evil Swiss manufacturer of HIGH FAT confectionary (& breakfast cereals) !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they should come with a free sachet of lard?

Joking aside, they do taste a lot different, any one else notice this?

All chocolate tastes different now and none for the better. Galaxy tastes vile.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First they mess up pot noodles now mars bars, do they think people live on these things or something, can't even have a treat now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Marathons became Snickers my world nearly ended :cry: Haven't had one for years, I bet they don't taste the same either!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    First they mess up pot noodles now mars bars, do they think people live on these things or something, can't even have a treat now.

Exactly, the bastards make us miserable then we can't have a treat, I'm going to write a letter to my MP, after he has finished lying to students!
  • Options
    fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, the bastards make us miserable then we can't have a treat, I'm going to write a letter to my MP, after he has finished lying to students!

Don't waste your time, he's probably busy - submitting his expense claims.
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    All this is another step to wards healthy eating.

More "its good for you " philosophy, combined with Health and Safety mean we are evolving into a species of boring unadventurous cossetted superhealthy longevity drones.

Non exposure to lifes hazards or "bad" things cannot be good for immune systems.

Anyway ...it means healthier people living a long and boring existance increasing the population by not dying creating food shortages ?

Darwin survival of the fittest ? not if Health and Safety stop us experiencing the fear boundaries of injury and death.

Eat shit and dye happy LOL
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Who cares? They shouldn't be mucking about with our chocolate.

KP ruined their salted peanuts. I now have to make my own.