Options

Sam and Amy Debut Radio 2

occyoccy Posts: 65,147
Forum Member
✭✭
is this the Sony winners Sam and Amy from Gem 106 who are covering Richard Allinsons overnight show this coming weekend? Gem are very understanding letting them work for the Beeb

Comments

• Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time in a long time the R2 have used proper radio talent rather than TV hosts for cover. Good move.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    is this the Sony winners Sam and Amy from Gem 106 who are covering Richard Allinsons overnight show this coming weekend? Gem are very understanding letting them work for the Beeb

You have already posted about this in 2 threads!
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Who the heck are Sam & Amy I have never heard of them. Are they a female equivalent of Ant & Dec?:p
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it's easier to type "sam and amy gem 106" into Google (and get the answer you require in the first result that comes up!) than it is to post on here saying you don't know who they are?
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Surely it's easier to type "sam and amy gem 106" into Google (and get the answer you require in the first result that comes up!) than it is to post on here saying you don't know who they are?

OK just have somehow they look a little immature/young for Radio 2 shouldn't they be on Radio 1 or maybe Heart?

It just looks like a typical Global breakfast duo who spend all the time talking about nonsense other than playing music.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely off topic, but that Sam... Phwar! He's seriously wasted behind a mic with a sexy smile like that :D:D:D
  • Options
    shivering sandsshivering sands Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    OK just have somehow they look a little immature/young for Radio 2 shouldn't they be on Radio 1 or maybe Heart?

It just looks like a typical Global breakfast duo who spend all the time talking about nonsense other than playing music.

As opposed to spending all the time on here talking nonsense?

Do you have a good word for anybody?

Here's an idea. Why not give them a listen and a chance before deciding if they're any good?

Just a thought.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a great opportunity for them, rather a strange choice i have to admit as said they would be a lot more suited to Heart rather than Radio 2 but there certainly very good at what they do.

I wonder if in the near future this gives hope to the likes of Simon Hirst doing the odd show on Radio 2 for off peak slots instead of them using celebs.
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't the BBC tap into the wealth of local BBC talent for cover shows? Aside from Harriet Scott and Nikki Bedi, no other local hosts have had a look-in on R2 in recent years.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't the BBC tap into the wealth of local BBC talent for cover shows? Aside from Harriet Scott and Nikki Bedi, no other local hosts have had a look-in on R2 in recent years.

Mostly because the same talent has been on BBC Local Radio for years and also BBC Local Radio presenters are more speech presenters suited to 5live rather than R2, many BBC Local Presenters have progressed to 5live. Iain Lee would be a good choice but i would argue he would be better and probably more interested in 5live rather than R2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possible Radio 2 are trying to tap into double acts to present shows.

The last was Alan Carr and Mel Sykes.

The last real ones were back on Radio One Bruno Brookes and Liz Kershaw etc etc.

I can't see Gem losing these two for Radio 2 as possibly there is no vacancy.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with Sam & Amy so I'm intrigued by this: what is it that makes them stand out from all the other boy/girl 'battle of the sexes' combinations on commercial radio? Or to put it another way, what makes them distinctive enough to get a go at Radio 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not familiar with Sam & Amy so I'm intrigued by this: what is it that makes them stand out from all the other boy/girl 'battle of the sexes' combinations on commercial radio? Or to put it another way, what makes them distinctive enough to get a go at Radio 2?

Sony Award Winners. Present on a national radio station? New radio talent.
    Possibly they approached to present on the station?
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

They do breakfast on Gem 106 so have a listen. I don't know the answer but I think they're very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I can see Gem losing them as soon as their contract with Gem is up. Perhaps not to Radio 2 but to a London station which will put them in the right place to be offered other media work.

If they don't have an agent I suspect they'll get one quite soon and if I was the Gem pd i'd be looking at my breakfast sucession plan (all good pd's have one).
  • Options
    SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    I can see Gem losing them as soon as their contract with Gem is up. Perhaps not to Radio 2 but to a London station which will put them in the right place to be offered other media work.

If they don't have an agent I suspect they'll get one quite soon and if I was the Gem pd i'd be looking at my breakfast sucession plan (all good pd's have one).

Wondering if they've already told Orion they're leaving?
    Sams house is supposedly for sale, and Gem have recently hired Naomi Kent (formally of Leicester Sound), supposedly for weekend breakfast, but seems to be on nearly all the time when I'm listening. Also of interest she'd presenting somewhere up north, and has moved back to Leicester, would someone really do this for weekend breakfast? Does anyone know what Damien (St John) is currently doing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possible Radio 2 are trying to tap into double acts to present shows.

The last was Alan Carr and Mel Sykes.

The last real ones were back on Radio One Bruno Brookes and Liz Kershaw etc etc.

Or maybe they just think they are quite talented and fancy giving them a go? Not really any reason to think it's going to be double acts all the way now, especially at a time they are cutting budgets.

Yes, there is no vacancy at present.
    Sony Award Winners. Present on a national radio station? New radio talent.
    Possibly they approached to present on the station?

Not quite new talent when they have done breakfast in that area for 8 years!!!

I wasn't aware you could ask for a slot on national radio, I baggsy Sunday teatime for my debut then.
  • Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Wondering if they've already told Orion they're leaving?
    Sams house is supposedly for sale, and Gem have recently hired Naomi Kent (formally of Leicester Sound), supposedly for weekend breakfast, but seems to be on nearly all the time when I'm listening. Also of interest she'd presenting somewhere up north, and has moved back to Leicester, would someone really do this for weekend breakfast? Does anyone know what Damien (St John) is currently doing?

Naomi Kent was co-host on Radio Aire breakfast until a few months ago. For the last few months of her contract she was just doing travel inserts. They changed the schedule completely Breakfast and Drive. A revolving door
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where would they fit into on Radio 2? Weekends?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Or maybe they just think they are quite talented and fancy giving them a go? Not really any reason to think it's going to be double acts all the way now, especially at a time they are cutting budgets.

Yes, there is no vacancy at present.

Not quite new talent when they have done breakfast in that area for 8 years!!!

I wasn't aware you could ask for a slot on national radio, I baggsy Sunday teatime for my debut then.

You lack ambition. I've chosen mid morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »

Yes far too imature for weekends on Radio 2. After allthe saturday schedule used to have Brand and Ross so I can see how they wouldn't fit in.

Having heard oj borg before I'm sure you could say the same about him.

The only reason I can see for them not being popular with some on ds is they never worked on a pirate ship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    You lack ambition. I've chosen mid morning.

I'd like to work my way up the schedule. Besides I don't want to leave Ken Bruce out of a job.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I am not aware of them, but it is great news, I wish them the best of luck, how it works out, hope more Local presenters get a chance, there are plenty who deserve it.
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presumed this was just a one-off, in the same way that Radio 1 gives winners of the student radio awards an early morning stand-in slot, but then it does refer to them as making their debut at the station...
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where would they fit into on Radio 2? Weekends?

Getting rid of the lousy O'Dreary on a Saturday afternoon would be a start!!

After POTP, you want something upbeat and lively to set up your Saturday, not some dull depressing indie show