Do you call lunch dinner and dinner tea?

SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
Forum Member
✭✭
Ive always refered to midday as 'dinnertime', so do all my family. Evening, around 5pm is 'teatime'. At those times we eat our dinner and our tea. Everyone round here calls lunch, dinner, and dinner, tea.

I always assumed it was just posh people who ate lunch and dinner?

Is it a regional thing?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I eat lunch and dinner, except on Christmas when we have dinner at lunchtime and tea at dinnertime :D

edit - with regards to regional, it may well be, I'm in Hampshire but I just caught it from my parents to be honest, Mum's from Surrey and Dad's from Birmingham so I have no idea!! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Yup. Breakfast, Dinner, Tea, Supper. :)
  • TTTVTTTV Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes say dinner time and lunch time, never say I'm having dinner, always say having me tea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I call them lunch and dinner, but I'm American :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm from Wales and that is how we were brought up.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always say 'lunch' - have done since school.

I might say dinner if I was going out somewhere for it.

Otherwise it's 'evening meal' for me.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I eat lunch and dinner, except on Christmas when we have dinner at lunchtime and tea at dinnertime :D
    I agree 100%!

Also sundays is dinner at lunchtime and afternoon tea like cake and tea :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sexyback wrote:
    I call them lunch and dinner, but I'm American :D

So do i and i'm british :confused:
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobaltmale wrote:
    Otherwise it's 'evening meal' for me.

G

oOOOhhhh how posh ;)

For me its breakfast, lunch and dinner ...... with pudding if poss.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive noticed in Conronation Street the characters have 'dinner and tea'. So maybe its a Welsh/Northern thing?
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find supper to be the most messed up of all.

My wife's family use it to refer to the milk and bread you have just before bedtime. So when her uncle was invited to someone else's for 'supper' (meaning the evening meal at around 7 o'clock) not only were they surpirsed that he didn't turn up, but they were even more surprised when he did turn up at around 10.30.....
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it must be a regional thing. I’m a Southerner and we have always said lunch and dinner. Anything eaten later than about 8pm is supper.

I remember living with a girl from North Wales who used to say ‘we’ll meet you at teatime’ and not having the faintest idea what time that was. Still not sure if it’s 5pm, 7pm or whatever really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am afraid it's a lunch and tea person here. Everyone around me calls lunch 'dinner' but I have always called lunch 'lunch' and tea 'dinner' or 'tea'. Not necessarily posh, but i did go to boarding school for a while which might explain it. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its breakfast, lunch and Dinner thing for me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting though.....

Main evening meal

Tea is the main evening meal, even if the diners are not drinking tea. It is traditionally eaten at 5 o'clock in the evening, though often it is later, as late as 9pm.

Especially in East Anglia, the North of England, The West Country, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, tea as a meal is synonymous with dinner in Standard English. Under such usage, the midday meal is sometimes termed dinner, rather than lunch.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tea-time is every five minutes in my office.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even at school when we had the 'lunch register' every morning, and we had to shout whether we were having a school meal or a packed lunch. We'd have to shout shout 'dinner' if we were having a school meal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even at school when we had the 'lunch register' every morning, and we had to shout whether we were having a school meal or a packed lunch. We'd have to shout shout 'dinner' if we were having a school meal.
    Were they deaf? :confused::D

Good point though..i think we called them school dinners even though they were at lunchtime!
  • bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    Lunch and Dinner here in Aberdeen. :)

You get a lunch-hour at work and when you get home in the evening you get your dinner.

I've never heard of a dinner-hour!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say Breakfast, Lunch and Tea.

I probably call my lunch, Lunch, because this is what it is referred to at my school; 'lunchtime'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Breakfast, lunch, dinner - interspersed with several snacks. Mmmm... snaaaaaaaack...

What's the difference between dinner (or tea, if you prefer), and supper?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My northern mother brought us up with breakfast, dinner and tea and its kind of stuck. But like Cobaltmale, if I was going out for a meal in the evening I would say dinner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone actually eat supper? It must be the most poitless meal of the day? Why eat something before you go to bed? You'll get indigestion surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch, dinner - interspersed with several snacks. Mmmm... snaaaaaaaack...

What's the difference between dinner (or tea, if you prefer), and supper?
    Supper is late night (past 8pm) snacking :)
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Dinner is the name for the main meal of the day, regardless of what time you eat it.

I eat my main meal at about 8-9 pm, but to avoid controversy I just call it my evening meal rather than dinner. :)