Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Never met Melanie Sykes but have heard that as soon as the cameras stop rolling she snubs her guests.
    Can feel her in insincerity every time she is on TV so false
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Kelly Jones of Stereophonics
    Bryan Adams
    Paul Weller
    Jools Holland
    John Michie, actor
    Jack Charlton
    All of the above very nice people.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was recently told that Julie Walters is quite unpleasant in real life. I found this hard to believe, since she seems to be so nice, but that's what I was told. It has to be said this is third hand information - so it may not be completely reliable.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Man, they used to have Willie standing on about three milk crates next to Claire Balding when they did the TV racing commentary a few years ago he's so tiny.

I met him once, he was alright. He shook my hand on the racecourse and said: 'Ooooh your hands are cold!'. :kitty:

Don't read his autobiography then, he was totaly obnoxious toward his ex wife and his sons not to mention his illegitimate daughter.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    I was recently told that Julie Walters is quite unpleasant in real life. I found this hard to believe, since she seems to be so nice, but that's what I was told. It has to be said this is third hand information - so it may not be completely reliable.

I can only speak from my own experience, over 20 years ago I was a receptionist at the accountants, Ernst and Young, and one memorable day Julie came in as a client.

I was totally in awe, but managed to contain my excitement when I asked her to take a seat. She had to wait a while for her meeting with one of the partners, so I asked her if she would like a coffee, and she replied, "No, but I am dying for a cup of tea!"

I then blurted out, I am such a big fan and have everything you have done on tape, she smiled and said, "Obviously a man of great taste!" :D

I phoned our tea lady in the kitchen and told her that Julie was in reception and she rushed out and they started chatting away about Julie's daughter Maisie, who was just a baby at the time.

She was just delightful, friendly, down to earth, and very warm, and I have very happy memories of her.

Julie and Anita Harris were the favourites of all of us on reception and in Security at that company. :)
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if Joanna Lumley is unpleasant in real life?

I've always been a big fan, of her and of her character in AbFab, and I'd hate to think it was all an act........

I've heard though that Jennifer Saunders isn't the same in real life......
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

I've always been a big fan, of her and of her character in AbFab, and I'd hate to think it was all an act........

Admittedly I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is; always comes across as a narcissistic, hammy old snob with extreme delusions of grandeur. I could be way off though!
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;):D when jimmy dies DS will go into meltdown with the stuff that will cum out. :D

So prophetic XD
    Forum Member
    Admittedly I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is; always comes across as a narcissistic, hammy old snob with extreme delusions of grandeur. I could be way off though!
    You could be right, though for all that, she's got a great sense of humour though hasn't she?

And what is good, she's not shy in sending herself up, which I always think merits a down to earth personality.

And let's not forget her beautiful wonderful voice! How I wish I could sound like that.....
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My uncles met her (much to our amusement as he calls her the "lovely Lumley") he said she is actually very nice, highly intelligent and just all round a decent person. Admittly he fancys her but he's pretty syndical so I'm inclined to belive him. Who ever dared besmirch the name of Julie Walters....shame on you! :p
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only speak from my own experience, over 20 years ago I was a receptionist at the accountants, Ernst and Young, and one memorable day Julie came in as a client.

I was totally in awe, but managed to contain my excitement when I asked her to take a seat. She had to wait a while for her meeting with one of the partners, so I asked her if she would like a coffee, and she replied, "No, but I am dying for a cup of tea!"

I then blurted out, I am such a big fan and have everything you have done on tape, she smiled and said, "Obviously a man of great taste!" :D

I phoned our tea lady in the kitchen and told her that Julie was in reception and she rushed out and they started chatting away about Julie's daughter Maisie, who was just a baby at the time.

She was just delightful, friendly, down to earth, and very warm, and I have very happy memories of her.

Julie and Anita Harris were the favourites of all of us on reception and in Security at that company. :)

Well, like I said, my information is far from reliable.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I met her in the early 80's when she was "off duty", standing alone watching her son at a sporting event.
    I was walking near her her with my two year old daughter, and she smiled and made a fuss of my daughter, and was very friendly.
    I asked if I could take a photo, and she said "how would you like me".
    I took the picture (camera shaking!) and then had a chat about the New Avengers - I was a big fan of the show - and she was happy to chat about it.
    I didn't outstay my welcome, but I can only speak as I find, and I found Joanna, nice, down to earth and very natural.
  • Paully_CPaully_C Posts: 251
    Forum Member

I was lucky enough to meet Joanna last year, at a fundraising event for the actors' retirement home Denville Hall.

She was quite spectacularly lovely. She spent ages chatting to people, signing autographs, having her photo taken, etc. A friend of mine got her to sign a bottle of Stolly vodka. Another friend asked her to sign a pic of her with her AbFab sister Jackie, the late Kate O'Mara. She was clearly hugely moved by this and started reminiscing about the lovely times she had spent filming with Kate.

In short, Joanna Lumley was even nicer than I hoped she'd be. An adorable lady.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    My only (brief) experience of Joanna Lumley was about 15 years ago when she was doing some voiceover work for a radio documentary - something to do with the Gurkhas, I think, but I couldn't swear to that. She was terribly posh, but I thought she was very nice. My mother would have called her "proper posh", i.e. it was her personality and upbringing (which was curiously unaffected and sort of "ordinary") rather than an adopted air (which usually comes along with a sense of entitlement). She was all smiles and very chatty with everyone, but I remember her being absolutely professional (as well as fabulous) and knowing quite a lot about the technical aspects of radio work.

One encounter isn't enough to form a rounded opinion, of course, but she certainly left a favourable impression.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marionette wrote: »
    Never met Melanie Sykes but have heard that as soon as the cameras stop rolling she snubs her guests.
    Can feel her in insincerity every time she is on TV so false

I did some work experience back in 1997 and she was at the place I was working at- rather unfriendly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Sue Nicholls who plays Corrie Audrey back in 1994, absolutely lovely. Generous and kind lady who had a lot of time for everybody including me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are Biggins, Paul O'Grady & Dale Winton like in real life?
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad met Joanna L once. Came home all starry eyed. Said she was gorgeous, not just in looks, but in personality. He said that when she spoke to you she gave you her full attention.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I met Joanna Lumley at a charity event, and she had time for everyone, a very down to earth and pleasant woman. Her 'poshness' is part of who she is, it's not an affectation, from what I could see. Admittedly, it was a public event and she was working, but I didn't get the impression her warmth and friendliness was all for show.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    What are Biggins, Paul O'Grady & Dale Winton like in real life?

Apparently Biggins is VERY friendly...over friendly if anything.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A friend of mine met her a few years ago with her eldest child ( he'd have been about 3/4 at the time - he's 12 now) and she said Joanna came u to her and said what a gorgeous child. She then made a complete fuss over him and a picture was take. Of her giving my friends child a huge hug. My friend said she was lovely
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Fair enough - I am obviously totally wrong about Ms Lumley!
    Forum Member
    Excuse my ignorance at anything mildly technical, though I still don't know how to multi link, but I just wanted to say to all the posters who replied re Joanna Lumley, thank you for bothering and taking the time!

I'm very glad that what I think of her seems to be what she is like in real life, and I'm glad that noone as yet has any horror stories of her....
    Forum Member
    ^ Fair enough - I am obviously totally wrong about Ms Lumley!
    Yes, well...........

I suggest you hang your head in complete shame and mortification and hope that Ms Lumley is not reading this.......:o:o:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, well...........

I suggest you hang your head in complete shame and mortification and hope that Ms Lumley is not reading this.......:o:o:D:D

:cry::cry::cry::cry: