Options

Last Movie You Watched? (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rose
    Fantastic film with an amazing performance by Bette Midler. Inspired by Janis Joplin's life.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyfall (2012)

9/10
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw both

Octopussy

And

Never Say Never Again

I found Never Say Never Again looked more up to date with more gadgets in but Octopussy had a bit more action.

Both were very long though so give them a 5 out of 10.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hunger Games
    I assumed before watching it was a fantasy drama about fighting. I was wrong. It's about survival. It's about trust, love, life, what we take for granted and what we will do to stay in the world to be able to live. Beautiful performance by Jennifer Laurence.
  • Options
    pjayem1964pjayem1964 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Prometheus (legal download) FX 10/10 film 5/10
    The Sapphires (at the cinema) 10/10
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Went to see The Master today, That's 2 1/2 hrs out of my life I'll never get back, absolute crap. 1/10 and that's being generous because I like Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Hollywoodland (2006)

Atmospheric, strong performances but the flashback structure left me a bit confused at times.

Worth a watch.
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ladies in Lavender - 8/10
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyday [2012]. Director: Michael Winterbottom

7/10

Billed as TV drama on Channel 4 last week, though listed on IMDb as a film and shown at festivals around the world (including the London Film Festival). A drama about how a family with four young kids copes when the father is in jail. Shot over 5 years so we see the kids grown up, and shot on location in real prisons with real prisoners and prison guards.

Circle of Danger [1951]. Director: Jacques Tourneur

6/10

American comes to Britian to find out how his brother came to be killed in WW2. The conclusion is rather feeble.
  • Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    The Bold and the Beautiful (1952) - 7.5/10
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkyrie. 5/10. riveting story but potentially good movie wrecked by tom cruise being in it. and he used to be able to act ......

rodger dodger. 8/10. mysogenistic and very cynical but sexually experienced man tries to initiate his virginal 16 yrs old nephew into how to chat up and have sex with women. good storyline makes you want to know what will happen ...... the lad resists becoming a younger version of the cynical world weary man .....
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Seprico. Had heard its a classic plus I love Al Pacino but frankly found it really dull.

the tv series was quite good, far as i can remember.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i liked valkyrie the thing that ruined it for me was not cruise it was the fact i already knew the story and how it ended before i had even started
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    End of watch 8/10
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His Girl Friday (Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell) - 7/10. I'm glad I decided to watch this again. Hadn't seen it since the days I worshipped at the shrine of The Usual Suspects and John Woo.
  • Options
    pjayem1964pjayem1964 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Red Lights 7.5/10
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Battle beyond the Stars
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Easy A [2010]. Director: Will Gluck

4/10

Even by the standards of California High School comedies this one's a dud.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bourne Ultimatum - 9/10

My favourite of the three Bourne films I think. A close one between this and Identity anyway, with Supremacy a clear third (but still decent). I won't both with Legacy I don't think. I do love Matt Damon's character, and I don't know if it'll feel like a Bourne film without him in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    'Hound of the Baskervilles' 7/10 (1939) Good fun!

'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' 7/10 (1939) Enjoyed this one as well.

'Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror' 6/10 (1942) The series moves from 20th Century Fox to Universal Pictures and is brought out of Victorian England and into contempory (at that time), war time Britain! Not too sure 'modern holmes' works, beyond the current BBC series. Apart from a great in joke revolving around Holmes's Deerstalker hat this came off as less of a movie and more of an old serial.

'Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon' 6/10 (1943) Again more of a serial and again pitting Holmes against the nefarious Nazi's although in this one Moriaty returns.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SKYFALL (cinema) - 9/10

excellent stuff, would see again
    *see my quick review in the SKYFALL thread*
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep End (1970), Jerzy Skolimowskis strange, almost obliquely observed tale of youthful fear, lust and obsession. Nicely restored in 2010 showing off the vibrant art direction, and photography by Charly Steinberger and which proves that dingy locations are no block to imagination. As a narrative it doesn't really hang together and there are awkward unresolved changes in tone almost throughout, no doubt the result of the multilingual scripting.

Equally though it contains some splendid stand alone scenes, Diana Dors and her use of George Best, the frustrated receptionist and the fire extinguisher with that momentary lingering shot of the expelled foam on the floor, in the cinema in which every character behaves spitefully or cravenly by turn and Mike (John Moulder-Brown ) on the trail of Sue (Jane Asher) on the streets of "Soho" to the sound of Krautrockers Can.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    This Means War - 8/10

Some genuine laughs...
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually saw The Cabin in the Woods for the first time. I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon but I didn't necessarily think I would love the film, but I did. It had a real Buffy/Angel feel to it (which is good as Buffy was one of my fav shows!) and seeing as I had no proper idea what it was all about, it was a real treat to see it wasn't a run of the mill, people go to house and die type thing!!! I was really impressed. I'd give it a 10/10 as not sure what else I they could've done to make it better imo.

Avengers Assemble I didn't mind but it wasn't a fav. I saw this before watching The Cabin in the Wood and I think that was why I thought TCINTW wouldn't be as good as expected and was happily surprised. I'd give that a 6.5/10, mainly because it seemed a bit all over the place and although it had some great effects it just didn't grab my interest as much as I think it could have.
This discussion has been closed.