Options

Should the UK take military action against Syria?

Comments

• Options
    SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinius wrote: »

Yep although if it had of been me i would have opposed intervention from day 1 aside from a diplomatic solution not given the impression i supported government thinking.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Which begs the question, if we defend ourselves and maybe Europe and look after our interests, why did Gordon Brown build those aircraft carriers. Was it just to provide jobs in Labour areas?

Make up your own mind from this the end of article is relevant to your question

http://www.defencemanagement.com/news_story.asp?id=14523
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god the inept **** cameron has been forced into a watered down debate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if ED will use this to gain popularity...
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has been rather nauseating to hear some people claim that Cameron "backed down" due to clever maneuvering from Miliband. The truth is that both leaders were under pressure from their MPs so taking a step back was the wise thing to do.

If anything this was a victory for the Commons, not for Miliband - who hasn't yet decided which way he'll get his party to vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet ED has really Pi--ed off the "peace envoy" who was advocating a bombing mission.:sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »

Last week he was arrogant, aggressive and out of touch. Now he's inept, bumbling and weak.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    What on earth is wrong with a strong debate?
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    It has been rather nauseating to hear some people claim that Cameron "backed down" due to clever maneuvering from Miliband. The truth is that both leaders were under pressure from their MPs so taking a step back was the wise thing to do.

If anything this was a victory for the Commons, not for Miliband - who hasn't yet decided which way he'll get his party to vote.

Perhaps MPs (including Cameron and Miliband) are also listening to public opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a war....it was all part of the grand Neo con plan.

the arms industry will be a winner which means Uk and its political parties will benefit greatly

SERCO, TASCOR and all the terrorist linked security industry will benefit greatly from the fall out and make millions. large part of it will benefit political parties through donations.

U really think they care about the syrians......

I thought Europeans loved Odumbo and were ecstatic that Americans elected him because he was not a "neo-con"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StillAlive wrote: »
    The West seems to be trying to get rid of any non-Sunni regimes. They seem to be easier to get on their side and stay under control.

Obama grew up in Indonesia which is majority Sunni....The plot thickens.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see why Dave was in such a rush to recall Parliament only a couple of days early anyway and BEFORE we've had the full report of the UN inspectors.

Because without that it was never going to wash the UK public...never mind MPs with half a brain.

Was his blue polo shirt bored of the photo ops?

Or was he just bounced into it by Obama?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why aren't we nuking Assad?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week he was arrogant, aggressive and out of touch. Now he's inept, bumbling and weak.

They aren't opposites he can be all of them at the same time

It's another example of this government's 'marry in haste, repent at leisure' that so characterises their policies
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MP Robert Halfon on sky news now supporting the action and Douglas Carswell also a Tory is against any intervention at the moment.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear, Danny Boy isn't very happy with Ed (as usual). Even less happier than usual I suppose because Milliband is not supporting the Blair line and is a stance that is actually far more in line with the views of the population (and therefore a popular stance- Dan doesn't want Ed to be in any way popular!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports are now that Labour will vote against today's motion.

So, they were going to abstain against the original motion, asked for a "watered down" one, got it - and not they are going to vote against it. So, just what are they in favour of?

It's looking more like they are using today's vote as an opportunity to defeat the government for purely political reasons rather than on any point of principle about overseas interventions.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No matter what the media/newspapers and certain politicians say it seems the British public don't want us to get involved. After the Iraq and Afghanistan wars that is totally understandable.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's looking more like they are using today's vote as an opportunity to defeat the government for purely political reasons .

Typical tactics from any party on HM Opposition benches. Doesn't make it right though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member

Political scoring no doubt.

The question I am wondering is, where are the Lib Dems? They are the ones that usually claim this approach to foreign intervention, ie get a bunch of suits in New York city to scribble on a piece of paper saying its OK to invade and they'll be fine about it. I would have thought they'd be the first ones to pull Cameron up on getting it made nice and legal....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Camboy wanted to rush in, but Milli put the breaks on. Only fools rush in. It's a pity Cleggy couldn't have said to Cameron, let's wait and see the UN evidence. Fair play Milli.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _drak wrote: »

The question I am wondering is, where are the Lib Dems? They are the ones that usually claim this approach to foreign intervention, ie get a bunch of suits in New York city to scribble on a piece of paper saying its OK to invade and they'll be fine about it. I would have thought they'd be the first ones to pull Cameron up on getting it made nice and legal....

The thing that we've not seen yet is the evidence. Apparently there are intercepted conversations within the regime discussing the attack and also satellite photos of movements of weapons. However what appears to be missing from this intel is a direct connection to Assad. And that appears over the last 24 hours to have become a major issue. While enough to convince people it wasn't the rebels.. they can't directly link it to Assad.

This evidence appears to have been what convinced Obama, France, Cameron & Hague. Possibly Nick Clegg has also seen it. Not sure about Ed Miliband.

But this lack of a direct link has stalled the evidence being presented to the UN. And if they can't find that link... they may not be able to directly prove it was a calculated action on the part of the regime.. and that may mean no military action.

Maybe Ed Miliband has been advised of this and he's taken the extra cautious approach as a result.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    _drak wrote: »

Ye guys don't really get coalition governments across the water. We get them all the time in Ireland. Once a smaller party gets into government and becomes a junior coalition member with their bums on government benches, their names on ministerial posts, and their grubby hands on ministerial pensions, we tend to find in Ireland they become yes men nearly all of the time to the senior party. Basically, they allow themselves become political prostitutes.