Options

The Mcstay Family Mystery

Comments

• Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkino wrote: »
    I am not sure about the marriage. I have seen photos so assume that a wedding did take place. Whether it was legal or not I do not know. I guess there could be more than the 11 names.

It does not explain why Joey would give up his other son though. You could make a case for them leaving voluntarily – they had enough issues with third parties, but to leave his son?

I have finished the book now, and it was a good read but plenty of dead ends.

Have you wondered why Rick Baker has backed off at the same time that Patrick McStay and the other family members have? Do you see any significance? Ie that a development is likely, or perhaps a third party has asked them to drop it?

My guess is that there may well be more than the 11 permutations as you said. I'm wondering though if the wedding was more 'spiritual' than legally binding, which may well fit in with their lifestyle (well, Summers anyway)

The thing I keep thinking is what do you do if you're faced with a Sophies Choice type decision between losing one child or losing your other two? I could see Joseph choosing Gianni & Joseph Jr over Jonah since in a way he'd already 'lost' Jonah anyway.

If Summer had presented him with this dilemma then that might explain why Joseph went about his day normally, if he was unaware of any problems ahead at that point.

It does seem ominous that things do seem to have gone completely quiet now, but I do believe that this year Susan was still handing out flyers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure about the marriage. I have seen photos so assume that a wedding did take place. Whether it was legal or not I do not know. I guess there could be more than the 11 names.

It does not explain why Joey would give up his other son though. You could make a case for them leaving voluntarily – they had enough issues with third parties, but to leave his son?

I have finished the book now, and it was a good read but plenty of dead ends.

Have you wondered why Rick Baker has backed off at the same time that Patrick McStay and the other family members have? Do you see any significance? Ie that a development is likely, or perhaps a third party has asked them to drop it?

Backing off suggests to me that they have discovered the family are safe and well and do not want their location to be revealed.

I hope so anyway :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red tulips wrote: »
    Backing off suggests to me that they have discovered the family are safe and well and do not want their location to be revealed.

Yes definitely we can hope! :)
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red tulips wrote: »

However it is more complicated than that. Not so long ago Rick was saying Summer was guilty and that he wanted to see her "fry".

In addition the case has only just been handed to the FBI.

Moreover there is an obligation on the authorities to continue to search until they're found as they are classed as missing persons.

In addition if they are found, I suspect that Summer may face an indictment re her business activities, they may be prosecuted for removing the children from schooling, and also Joey may face litigation from the mortgage company (he defaulted) and his ex wife my seek child maintenance from him.

So it is not as straight forward as they are fine and want to be left alone. If they have been found then they have questions to answer (above) and I doubt the police could keep it quiet given the interest in the case. Someone would have talked.

I suspect the police think they are dead and buried and are attempting to bring the perpetrator to justice, and do not want media interest to prejudice any trial.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/02/mcstay-missing-fallbrook-family/

That's an interesting read. For example, I didn't know that the house had been bought by another family

Back in June this year, Susan Blake was in San Jose handing out flyers & telling people there are still no solid leads & they're still missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However it is more complicated than that. Not so long ago Rick was saying Summer was guilty and that he wanted to see her "fry".

In addition the case has only just been handed to the FBI.

Moreover there is an obligation on the authorities to continue to search until they're found as they are classed as missing persons.

In addition if they are found, I suspect that Summer may face an indictment re her business activities, they may be prosecuted for removing the children from schooling, and also Joey may face litigation from the mortgage company (he defaulted) and his ex wife my seek child maintenance from him.

So it is not as straight forward as they are fine and want to be left alone. If they have been found then they have questions to answer (above) and I doubt the police could keep it quiet given the interest in the case. Someone would have talked.

I suspect the police think they are dead and buried and are attempting to bring the perpetrator to justice, and do not want media interest to prejudice any trial.......

Very well thought out post & you're absolutely right. If they're found now they wouldn't be able to just walk back into their lives. There would be repercussions.

I'm beginning to come round to the theory that they (or some of them) are no longer alive. Sometimes I'm more convinced than others, but I no longer buy 100% into the 'voluntarily missing' theory.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    So many odd disappearances in the last few years. Claudia from York who disappeared going to work, of course, Maddy McCann and now the McStay Family. It seems so many cases are never, ever solved , People simply vanish into thin air, nobody sees anything or hears anything! Bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very well thought out post & you're absolutely right. If they're found now they wouldn't be able to just walk back into their lives. There would be repercussions.

I'm beginning to come round to the theory that they (or some of them) are no longer alive. Sometimes I'm more convinced than others, but I no longer buy 100% into the 'voluntarily missing' theory.

Do you discount the theory that Joey was being poisoned by Summer or someone else? I do. There is a lot of evidence he had been unwell but it could have been stress related. Living with her, the issue over his other son, and the problems with the business associate, could have been making him unwell.

I wonder if the futon cover was taken by the police for testing and they forgot to return it afterwards.

Have you seen any clips with Summer's mother, or Patrick, or the other son? I haven't. I would have expected to see something.

I really wish Mike would release the book he spoke about. I would first in the queue. Actually I would probably be second, you would be first!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many odd disappearances in the last few years. Claudia from York who disappeared going to work, of course, Maddy McCann and now the McStay Family. It seems so many cases are never, ever solved , People simply vanish into thin air, nobody sees anything or hears anything! Bizarre.

Yes it is so spooky. With all of our modern technology, eg CCTV and DNA testing, you would think it impossible for people to just vanish. Apparently they do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you discount the theory that Joey was being poisoned by Summer or someone else? I do. There is a lot of evidence he had been unwell but it could have been stress related. Living with her, the issue over his other son, and the problems with the business associate, could have been making him unwell.

I wonder if the futon cover was taken by the police for testing and they forgot to return it afterwards.

Have you seen any clips with Summer's mother, or Patrick, or the other son? I haven't. I would have expected to see something.

I really wish Mike would release the book he spoke about. I would first in the queue. Actually I would probably be second, you would be first!!!

I definitely discount the poisoning theory. It was most likely stress related or if he was a surfer it could have been an inner ear infection. I really don't think Summer was trying to poison him, however NOTHING in this case would surprise me at this point :o

The only videos I've seen with Jonah are on Joseph's YouTube channel, nothing since they've disappeared at all. Nothing with Summers mother or Patrick either.

I haven't even seen any photos of them, which strikes me as a bit odd, it seems that the spokeswoman for them is Tracy & the others don't want to be in the media spotlight. Jonah is 16 now though I think & I wonder if he might appear on an interview at some point.

I *think* I would buy Mikes book but I'd be pretty sure it was mostly fabrication & I'd take the majority of the book with a pinch of salt. I'd perhaps wait until you bought it & let you tell me what it said :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://joebrainardspajamas.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/did-summer-mcstay-suffer-from-paranoid.html

This is an interesting theory & actually makes a lot of sense.

What do you all think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the McStays may have been found...but not as we all hoped

http://www.10news.com/news/sources-investigators-looking-into-possibility-remains-of-mcstay-family-found-near-victorville

Mr Baker has removed his blog as well & only 2 days ago he was assuring people it wasnt the McStays. I still have my fingers crossed he's correct.
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the McStays may have been found...but not as we all hoped

http://www.10news.com/news/sources-investigators-looking-into-possibility-remains-of-mcstay-family-found-near-victorville

Mr Baker has removed his blog as well & only 2 days ago he was assuring people it wasnt the McStays. I still have my fingers crossed he's correct.

How sad if it is them... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wildhollie wrote: »
    How sad if it is them... :(

It's been confirmed by Patrick McStay off the record that Joey & Summer have been identified & they were just waiting for confirmation that the other 2 bodies are that of Gianni & Joey Jr.

I have been SO wrong about this case. I believed with all my heart that this family simply disappeared voluntarily & were living quietly in Guadalajara or somewhere. I never expected this outcome. :(
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is awful....that poor family....:(
    I guess with them being buried for the last 3 years alot of forensics may have been lost. I hope they find who did it.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I wasn't expecting that at all.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victorville, where the bodies were found by a motorcyclist, is 146 miles north of San Diego. The location is very remote.

One of the theories I read about a while back was the possibility of them being taken from their home against their will. Obviously there was other theories, too.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's sad. I only know the basics of the case but it has kept cropping up on my radar. The very best that might result is that it will be a limited form of closure for their family and friends. Not knowing why and how will still be awful, unless the truth emerges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    What a horrendous end to this mystery. Hopefully the people involved will be punished for the deaths of these poor people.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame. It does show, though, how off track we can be with regards to such cases. A lot of people were convinced that they'd crossed the border because of that video. Summer and the children, anyway.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    What a shame. It does show, though, how off track we can be with regards to such cases. A lot of people were convinced that they'd crossed the border because of that video. Summer and the children, anyway.

Which says a lot about why these threads can be so dodgy. I like a bit of armchair sleuthing as much as anyone, but when you have a recently missing family, the likelihood is that something awful has happened to them, and there have been some truly horrible accusations made in this thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic in every way from start to finish for everyone involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Which says a lot about why these threads can be so dodgy. I like a bit of armchair sleuthing as much as anyone, but when you have a recently missing family, the likelihood is that something awful has happened to them, and there have been some truly horrible accusations made in this thread.

I have been guilty of that. I know that.

I think it's human nature to speculate & discuss theories etc & this case has been so strange from beginning to the discovery of the bodies. The endless Websleuths threads are testament to that. However, I'm not trying to justify the things I've said.

I admit I was wrong :(

I honestly believed they'd disappeared through choice.

It's been reported that at least one of the bodies was found bound with electrical wire.

Live news conference at 7pm our time if anyone wants to watch it

http://ktla.com/live/#axzz2kj7fS7ol
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't read up on the case as much as most posters on here, just this thread and the one it stemmed from, but I really didn't think this would be the outcome :(