Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Ian McNeice has appeared in several adaptations of works by Charles Dickens. Both he and Eileen Atkins have played roles in productions of David Copperfield. Taking a Dickens role is de rigueur for a serious British actor
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the show, as a whole, very Dickensian indeed. I must confess to not having read Pickwick Papers however so cannot comment if DM is more Pickwick than David.... Can you? Both AJ and AR are Aunt Betsy Trott for sure. But it's more the tone and general nature of the story line and how it is being told that seem Dickensian to me rather than a character to character match-up. A 21st century Dickens-like tale... and it is even episodic the way Dicken's own stories were ! Amazing...

DM not angry? ROFL.....

The DIVO moment of yelling out and about the lack of a forcep is a very classic surgeon moment. Surgeon = divo of the operating room or theater as the Brits call it

I have heard of DIVA......a spoiled demanding female, usually, but I've heard it used for men. DIVO?.......There was a rock band called DEVO who were fairly hideous....I'll look that up.

Martin was momentarily really angry when Mr. Strain pushes the 6 month pregnant Louisa down on the beach. He is chock full of anger, but I'd call his his usual demeanor crabby
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK....I looked it up and I guess it is used in common vernacular as a male form of DIVA. I'm obviously behind the times as I've never heard it before. I think it's more humourous to call that kind of man a DIVA. It conjures up a funnier picture.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I have heard of DIVA......a spoiled demanding female, usually, but I've heard it used for men. DIVO?.......There was a rock band called DEVO who were fairly hideous....I'll look that up.

Martin was momentarily really angry when Mr. Strain pushes the 6 month pregnant Louisa down on the beach. He is chock full of anger, but I'd call his his usual demeanor crabby

I agree it's more usual and funnier to call a male a Diva, but I think the word itself is Italian in origin, and if so, then a male is definitely a Divo, and female a Diva. (Pedantically speaking.)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the show, as a whole, very Dickensian indeed. I must confess to not having read Pickwick Papers however so cannot comment if DM is more Pickwick than David.... Can you? Both AJ and AR are Aunt Betsy Trott for sure. But it's more the tone and general nature of the story line and how it is being told that seem Dickensian to me rather than a character to character match-up. A 21st century Dickens-like tale... and it is even episodic the way Dicken's own stories were ! Amazing...

DM not angry? ROFL.....

The DIVO moment of yelling out and about the lack of a forcep is a very classic surgeon moment. Surgeon = divo of the operating room or theater as the Brits call it

What is so "DIVO" about that moment? You have a child who is dying in front of you, with blood spewing from a damaged artery, and the only tool in the ambulance which can close it off easily and effectively is completely broken. That is not being a DIVO. That is caring that a child is bleeding to death in front of him if he cannot stop the bleeding…it must have been momentarily terrifying for everyone when the forceps fell apart, until DM decided to overcome his blood phobia, and use his fingers to hold the artery for the 30 more minutes it took to get to the hospital. He was heroic then, not a DIVO.

I mean, we can't judge DM as an angry jerk at every instance; look at the situation which is happening. Any caring surgeon/physician, who lives to to save lives, would have responded as DM did when the forceps tool came apart in his hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I

Yes, me too. Crabby or irritable. But, not outright angry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I agree it's more usual and funnier to call a male a Diva, but I think the word itself is Italian in origin, and if so, then a male is definitely a Divo, and female a Diva. (Pedantically speaking.)

Parenthetically correct, new Park. (I love that word)
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the inner anger that DM has had since S1 about the blood phobia? The worst kind of anger - it eats at you constantly. Also, the anger that, despite his deep love for Louisa, she can't accept that he has inner turmoil he cannot discuss with her---the inability to have a harmonious relationship with his true love plus the fact that his surgical career has been taken away from him? I have never strayed far from the fact that he misses being a surgeon, it's in his DNA, as far as we know the third generation of Ellingham surgeons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    There’s also the anger at his parents, the full extent of which is gradually emerging into his consciousness, and his anger at himself, for not being able to conquer the blood phobia, and overall, for any lack of perfection. He may gradually realize consciously that his parents were abusive, but emotionally, he still believes he “deserved” their treatment and has not yet developed compassion for himself. I think that with help he can get there, but for now, much of the anger directed at others is a projection of his anger at circumstances and himself and his impossibly high standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    There’s also the anger at his parents, the full extent of which is gradually emerging into his consciousness, and his anger at himself, for not being able to conquer the blood phobia, and overall, for any lack of perfection. He may gradually realize consciously that his parents were abusive, but emotionally, he still believes he “deserved” their treatment and has not yet developed compassion for himself. I think that with help he can get there, but for now, much of the anger directed at others is a projection of his anger at circumstances and himself and his impossibly high standards.

Exactly! Thank you for stating this so well. :):):):)

Abused children almost always believe that they deserved their abuse -- first of all, because it's what their abusers tell them, but secondly, and extremely important, that's a less frightening belief than truly understanding that their parents, who are supposed to keep them safe in the world, are actually a danger to them.
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I agree w/ Hester and yes, well said indeed. DM"s pain and emotional troubles do indeed come from his childhood, and he hasn't addressed them yet as an adult, so... troubles ensue. ( And I don't mean his generally grumpy nature or temperament but the deeper issues of an unloved and unwanted child w/ monsters as parents )

Poor L - she doesn't know what us, the audience knows! (and yes, of course in real life a woman would've asked her husband these things but this is Portwenn - give 'em some literary license....). DM has and is keeping it from her because, as AJ told him, he is emotionally constipated. (and we, the audience, know why but L doesn't). I could imagine that one little conversation - triggered by marriage counselor - would so open things up between them. DM would say something like "Do you know what my mother said to me? - -(thinking of S2 kitchen talk w/ Mummie Dearest) - and then tell her, of course. And then L would say, "You know I saw her in the airport, besides saying some awful things about you, she had your clock, said you gave it to her..." and etc. Voila` - meaningful conversation ensues. L the protectoress would come out again (remember S1 when she returns inside the hospital to give it to the younger surgeon AND when she picks up the farmer's rifle and makes him apologize "to my husband" in S6) and she could rant and rave against Margaret and ban her presence from Martin's life for all time to come...

I wonder just how the writers are going to have the marriage counseling go w/ them.. well, especially Martin. MC said in interview that DM would be "appalling" at being a father, "appalling" at living w/ L, and etc. So, I would think for that special DM spin we all know and love, the writers have to have DM be appalling at marriage counseling. Fascinating to imagine how/what they are going to choose to display that....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree w/ Hester and yes, well said indeed. DM"s pain and emotional troubles do indeed come from his childhood, and he hasn't addressed them yet as an adult, so... troubles ensue. ( And I don't mean his generally grumpy nature or temperament but the deeper issues of an unloved and unwanted child w/ monsters as parents )

Poor L - she doesn't know what us, the audience knows! (and yes, of course in real life a woman would've asked her husband these things but this is Portwenn - give 'em some literary license....). DM has and is keeping it from her because, as AJ told him, he is emotionally constipated. (and we, the audience, know why but L doesn't). I could imagine that one little conversation - triggered by marriage counselor - would so open things up between them. DM would say something like "Do you know what my mother said to me? - -(thinking of S2 kitchen talk w/ Mummie Dearest) - and then tell her, of course. And then L would say, "You know I saw her in the airport, besides saying some awful things about you, she had your clock, said you gave it to her..." and etc. Voila` - meaningful conversation ensues. L the protectoress would come out again (remember S1 when she returns inside the hospital to give it to the younger surgeon AND when she picks up the farmer's rifle and makes him apologize "to my husband" in S6) and she could rant and rave against Margaret and ban her presence from Martin's life for all time to come...

I wonder just how the writers are going to have the marriage counseling go w/ them.. well, especially Martin. MC said in interview that DM would be "appalling" at being a father, "appalling" at living w/ L, and etc. So, I would think for that special DM spin we all know and love, the writers have to have DM be appalling at marriage counseling. Fascinating to imagine how/what they are going to choose to display that....

MC and BP in general seem to have always loved to pull our legs. I'm almost to the point that I'm ready to take what MC says with a grain of salt. He says, "well, I'm vile." Not always.....he knows what he's going to say.....the only truth I heard is when he said in one interview, "He's a mess." Meaning DM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with Mofromco. I honestly do not believe, to be honest, that MC has that good an understanding of DM, or sees within the character what so many fans do.

I feel DM could be a fine dad. When we all saw him read the medical journal to infant JH, protected by pillows all around, showing him the picture of the author, didn't we ALL feel DM could be a fine father, indeed?

I also take what MC says about DM with a grain of salt!
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC and BP in general seem to have always loved to pull our legs. I'm almost to the point that I'm ready to take what MC says with a grain of salt. He says, "well, I'm vile." Not always.....he knows what he's going to say.....the only truth I heard is when he said in one interview, "He's a mess." Meaning DM.

Lots of salt, no less! Martin is merchandising the product in his uniquely British way with words. At least that's the way I've always seen it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree with the recent posts of my esteemed colleagues posts (Susie S. and MMe D and Mo.) :)

I think Martin Clunes has always been pretty straight about what's going to happen in the upcoming series (and what has happened). Granted, there's some hyperbole, and unexpected plot twists, but in the main, I take him at his word.

He has called DM "vile" and "rubbish". but if you notice. he has not done so for a while, as the character's complexity emerged and deepened. I think he genuinely thought that the character he was portraying was, on the whole, not a very sympathetic character, although there were hints of good stuff buried somewhere and the redeeming feature of his crush on Louisa. By S2, he wanted to make him even "grumpier" and succeeded in doing so, and I think the "vile" characterizations that he tossed off were in aid of that.

He said before S5 that they would be "co-habiting" but it would be "disastrous." (It was on some breakfast show or other, I can't remember which.) And indeed it was.
    He said he would make an "appalling" father and in fact in the first episode or two he was somewhat insufferable -- "the thin end of the wedge" and so on. Yes, of course he softened up as the series went along, but of course he would have to -- no one wants to watch a series where the hero behaves appallingly to his infant son.

And he dropped a couple of hints, clangors really, that all was not going to go well in S6. Remember his comment that "we haven't even decided if they'll stay married." Some said at that time that was just MC hyping his show, but I believed him implicitly, and I think my alarm was fully justified as it played out.

I think Martin Clunes is not guilty of overthinking his character, as some of us, certainly me, might be. But I believe he has a deep intuitive understanding of his character, which has grown as the series has developed. And someone(s), somewhere, clearly have some fleshed out idea of the character, his history, motivations, back story, that they draw on. It is certainly arguable whether they always succeed, but I do think they try hard to keep DM consistent with this.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    NewPark. I agree with you completely. Now if TPTB would only do the same with Louisa's character.
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I think Martin Clunes is not guilty of overthinking his character, as some of us, certainly me, might be. But I believe he has a deep intuitive understanding of his character, which has grown as the series has developed. And someone(s), somewhere, clearly have some fleshed out idea of the character, his history, motivations, back story, that they draw on. It is certainly arguable whether they always succeed, but I do think they try hard to keep DM consistent with this.[/QUOTE]

I agree w/ NewPark and BloodPhobia - MC consistent w/ saying inside DM is a wounded hurt little boy. I think that's intuitive assessment of DM and he doesn't want/need more details.

#1. there are times in the series where MC's acting is less than should be - and it was and is one of the best parts of watching all 6 series over 10 years that you see him get "spot on" always (as well as L). It has become such that, as Clunes has said in interviews, as soon as he puts on that suit and pointy shoes MC "is" DM again at this point, after all these years. I wonder how much of the earlier awkward parts were due to writing, directing, or acting?

#2. MC has made some disparaging remarks about writers for his shows/movies in the past.... quite shocking remarks about how they whine and fuss about and should just get on with it and produce a script on demand. Anyone know more about it? Somewhere I saw or read either Mark Crowdy or Ben Bolt saying (and seeming to go out of their way to counter MC's comments) that a show/movie can only be as good as the script allows, the script sets the bar, or something along those lines.

#3. Anyone know why Dominic Minghella was axed after Season 2? He still makes nice comments about DM and MC on his website so ... amicable split? Mutually agreed upon? why? (and wouldn't it be great if they brought him back in to finish off DM properly)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the recent posts of my esteemed colleagues posts (Susie S. and MMe D and Mo.) :)

I think Martin Clunes has always been pretty straight about what's going to happen in the upcoming series (and what has happened). Granted, there's some hyperbole, and unexpected plot twists, but in the main, I take him at his word.

He has called DM "vile" and "rubbish". but if you notice. he has not done so for a while, as the character's complexity emerged and deepened. I think he genuinely thought that the character he was portraying was, on the whole, not a very sympathetic character, although there were hints of good stuff buried somewhere and the redeeming feature of his crush on Louisa. By S2, he wanted to make him even "grumpier" and succeeded in doing so, and I think the "vile" characterizations that he tossed off were in aid of that.

He said before S5 that they would be "co-habiting" but it would be "disastrous." (It was on some breakfast show or other, I can't remember which.) And indeed it was.
    He said he would make an "appalling" father and in fact in the first episode or two he was somewhat insufferable -- "the thin end of the wedge" and so on. Yes, of course he softened up as the series went along, but of course he would have to -- no one wants to watch a series where the hero behaves appallingly to his infant son.

And he dropped a couple of hints, clangors really, that all was not going to go well in S6. Remember his comment that "we haven't even decided if they'll stay married." Some said at that time that was just MC hyping his show, but I believed him implicitly, and I think my alarm was fully justified as it played out.

I think Martin Clunes is not guilty of overthinking his character, as some of us, certainly me, might be. But I believe he has a deep intuitive understanding of his character, which has grown as the series has developed. And someone(s), somewhere, clearly have some fleshed out idea of the character, his history, motivations, back story, that they draw on. It is certainly arguable whether they always succeed, but I do think they try hard to keep DM consistent with this.

Well, NewPark, it's not quite fair to state that because DM knows the plot of the upcoming series, as he was involved in writing it and acting it, we can use that as justifiable evidence he knows his character that well and how he is going to be as a person! That's kind of cheating!

My problem with MC is the direction he has taken the character, and yes, early on his very obvious misunderstanding what he was presenting to the audience. He did say DM was vile, when the audience was watching Hemophobia and his mother's loathsome monoloque and were developing great compassion for the character, seeing the pain beneath the outward layer of irritability. Before MC got around to admitting DM was, actually, "damaged", nearly if not all of the entire audience knew that, discussed that, and wrote stories about it.

Does MC know how he is presenting LG? Does MC know how much discussion and processing has to be done by the audience to try to make sense of what we watch? That his storylines of DM and LG is not always consistent, and characters can be portrayed, like LG, in endless ways, leaving the audience wondering who the heck LG is, and how we should think and feel about her?

The show is weak in various areas along those lines, and that means that no, TPTB are not really clear in who everyone is, and why everyone interacts as they do, and they do not always make episodes which clarify things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, NewPark, it's not quite fair to state that because DM knows the plot of the upcoming series, as he was involved in writing it and acting it, we can use that as justifiable evidence he knows his character that well and how he is going to be as a person! That's kind of cheating!

My problem with MC is the direction he has taken the character, and yes, early on his very obvious misunderstanding what he was presenting to the audience. He did say DM was vile, when the audience was watching Hemophobia and his mother's loathsome monoloque and were developing great compassion for the character, seeing the pain beneath the outward layer of irritability. Before MC got around to admitting DM was, actually, "damaged", nearly if not all of the entire audience knew that, discussed that, and wrote stories about it.

Does MC know how he is presenting LG? Does MC know how much discussion and processing has to be done by the audience to try to make sense of what we watch? That his storylines of DM and LG is not always consistent, and characters can be portrayed, like LG, in endless ways, leaving the audience wondering who the heck LG is, and how we should think and feel about her?

The show is weak in various areas along those lines, and that means that no, TPTB are not really clear in who everyone is, and why everyone interacts as they do, and they do not always make episodes which clarify things.

1st para: that's not what I said, or meant to say. I was responding to those who said that he gave misleading comments about the direction or tone of the next series, and my point was, that I didn't think he did. It didn't have anything to do with how I thought he understood his character.

2nd para: I guess I can't agree. I don't think the series 1 DM was very well thought out., and we were definitely allowed to see a softer side. The decision in S2 seems to me to have been to more deeply bury the redeeming characteristics, play him as "rubbishy" but by his acting let audience feel some sympathy for this complex character. I can't characterize that as misunderstanding his character. Surely we were always intended to see that there were some sympathetic traits under the outer, grumpy, "vile" surface -- we knew that were 20 things about him that were crap, but like Louisa, we were meant to conclude that there was something more desirable or attractive in him. If he were a complete miserable bugger, why would Louisa fall for him for very long? So he had to be seen as somewhat sympathetic. If Martin Clunes acknowledged publicly that his character was "damaged", I think that's something that they expected and wanted the audience to conclude. I guess I don't understand the point of that last sentence.

3rd para: I agree that the character of LGE has been more elastic than DM's. But not completely so. She has always been "spiky" and prone to misjudgement and to overestimate how well she knew DM and how much he might change. She has never become passive, or sweetness and light. I see her development as a more complex character as more organic than contrived, although obviously the plot requires that her faults be emphasized, I don't have a lot of difficulty reconciling her behavior in S6 (or S5 and S4 for that matter) with her character. but obviously a lot of other fans do. So be it.

If you are saying that you don't think MC or TPTB understand how their characters are coming across -- well, maybe that's true. Phillipa has certainly said that she appreciates that the fans have picked up on the subtleties of the DM character that "aren't on the page" but are conveyed by his acting. Are you thinking that they would do something differently if they really understood how the audience reacted? I don't know -- perhaps they would rather fold than let the audience lead the plot and characterization in that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member

I agree w/ NewPark and BloodPhobia - MC consistent w/ saying inside DM is a wounded hurt little boy. I think that's intuitive assessment of DM and he doesn't want/need more details.

#1. there are times in the series where MC's acting is less than should be - and it was and is one of the best parts of watching all 6 series over 10 years that you see him get "spot on" always (as well as L). It has become such that, as Clunes has said in interviews, as soon as he puts on that suit and pointy shoes MC "is" DM again at this point, after all these years. I wonder how much of the earlier awkward parts were due to writing, directing, or acting?

#2. MC has made some disparaging remarks about writers for his shows/movies in the past.... quite shocking remarks about how they whine and fuss about and should just get on with it and produce a script on demand. Anyone know more about it? Somewhere I saw or read either Mark Crowdy or Ben Bolt saying (and seeming to go out of their way to counter MC's comments) that a show/movie can only be as good as the script allows, the script sets the bar, or something along those lines.

#3. Anyone know why Dominic Minghella was axed after Season 2? He still makes nice comments about DM and MC on his website so ... amicable split? Mutually agreed upon? why? (and wouldn't it be great if they brought him back in to finish off DM properly)

I agree with you, Carol, that MC has an intuitive understanding of at least some aspects of his character, having also had the formative experiences of bullied at boarding school and bedwetting, for instance, both of which he has talked about. (He also said that he was sent to boarding school after his father died because “they” – not specified – feared he would become gay otherwise, I guess at home with just a mother and sister. Interesting insight into 60’s thinking, to say the least. :blush: It also strikes me as ironic since his father was apparently gone much of the time anyway. But I digress).

Do you have some examples in mind of where his acting is less than it should be? More in the earlier seasons, before the character gradually became more nuanced, or even recently?

As much as I loved Minghella for the early seasons, I’m not sure I would want him to write the upcoming one. His website is lovely, and he goes out of his way to make complimentary comments about the show. His conception of the character, though, is that DM has signs of Asperger’s, and while that may have been believable earlier, to me what we have learned about him since – and, ok, interpreted into the character – would be a superficial diagnosis now. I don’t really think he fits the descriptors, except perhaps very superficially, or that his problems have a neurological basis.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I watched eps 7 &8 of series 6 and I have a few thoughts.

Episode 7

1. Louisa's behavior at the sports day is pretty over the top. They gave us a glimpse of this when she confronted the school governor in ep2. Also, she was pretty crazy with that gun in ep1 which I thought was funny.
    Side note: Before I had seen the whole series last fall I thought they were leading up to a brain problem that occurred maybe even before she hit her head on the glass door. It was so uncharacteristic of her to be so aggressive in the school governor scene. But they didn't go there - her brain problem was from the car accident and they didn't even address that there was any connection to the earlier injury.

2. So any way, that begs the question of what are we to think about her? And him storming off? I think his mom's comment about the trophy cup just put him into a tailspin. It dredged up all that pain. Boy it seemed fresh in his mind what she was talking about. The pain was still fresh even though it happened a long time ago. Louisa is hurt because of his withdrawal and refusal to address his problems?

3. Boy these two human beings are in such emotional pain and turmoil.

4. But did the writers (and etc.) give us enough exposition to see them both have public breakdowns?

Also, let's not forget that is mother refuses to call his wife by her correct name. That is supremely disrespectful. I have an unusual name and sometimes people get it wrong the first few times they say it. But if my mother in law had never said it correctly I would be deeply hurt and insulted, as would my husband. Then it would turn to anger. The name thing was pretty brilliant by BP.

Episode 7 of series 5 was a doozy and I spent many hours trying to figure out that one as well.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which brings up a new question in my mind: Were there scenes where you all feel DM gets justifiably angry and expresses it?

I think there are a lot of them. When I am doing the Trivia page for an episode, one thing I am looking for is "Rude Martin". I could come up with a couple of incidences for every episode, but for each one I ask myself whether he was justified in his rudeness. I'd say about 75% of the time I decide that he is justified. The other 25% go into the Rude Martin page.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of them. When I am doing the Trivia page for an episode, one thing I am looking for is "Rude Martin". I could come up with a couple of incidences for every episode, but for each one I ask myself whether he was justified in his rudeness. I'd say about 75% of the time I decide that he is justified. The other 25% go into the Rude Martin page.

Please don't think I am picking on you. But nobody is justified being rude. Doc Martin says things that we all want to say but we don't because we don't want to be rude!!!

That is why he is funny, in my opinion.

But, yes, he is justified in being frustrated with them because of the things they are doing or not doing.

There are times when his expression of strong anger is appropriate. Such as when the headmaster pushes Louisa, or when they play the trick on him with the ketchup. But telling someone they are a mentally deranged time waster wouldn't go over too well in the real world!! Even though I can think of one or two people I would love to say that to!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yikes! Technical difficulties on the site this week wiped out at least half of the responses. So, let's reset and vote on the same pair again this week - it seems to be working now. Even if you voted last week, please submit your vote again this week. And don't forget to vote on the 1-5 order of the last 16 eliminated episodes every week. You might even decide to mix and match your votes from week to week ;-)

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Please don't think I am picking on you. But nobody is justified being rude. Doc Martin says things that we all want to say but we don't because we don't want to be rude!!!

That is why he is funny, in my opinion.

But, yes, he is justified in being frustrated with them because of the things they are doing or not doing.

There are times when his expression of strong anger is appropriate. Such as when the headmaster pushes Louisa, or when they play the trick on him with the ketchup. But telling someone they are a mentally deranged time waster wouldn't go over too well in the real world!! Even though I can think of one or two people I would love to say that to!!!

I do agree that rudeness is never acceptable. I guess what I was trying to say was that there is often justification for him to be upset with people. Most of us deal with it in a more socially acceptable way, but that's just not DM's MO.

It's the times when his rudeness is completely unprovoked that I document it. And of course, it's just one person's opinion! :cool:
This discussion has been closed.