Farage 10 points behind in Thanet.

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,943
    Forum Member
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    To be honest, we do need a really strong anti-EU candidate. The EU is really corrupt. I do not want to pull out, blar blar blar, but if you live in Thanet I think it is almost your duty to vote Farage (UKIP) - I say this because we do need a strong anti-EU voice. There is momumental corruption over there and no one else will say anything.. VOTE UKIP IN THANET... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Someone needs to say something, I trust no other UK party to be anti-EU when it is required (I want to stay in EU - of course).

So elect a man who has taken how much EU money over the years? A man accused of using taxpayers money to fund his wife and his mistress. Blair maybe be Teflon but Farage is good old fashion non stick?
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Well if Britain is outside the EU how are the products it makes be sold in the EU if they don't meet EU regulations? The British public would be unprotected without certain EU rules and decisions for example the heavy fines on Microsoft, privacy rules that govern Google.

To pretend Little Britain will stand alone and won't fall in line with EU standards is nonsense...as witnessed by giant American companies fitting in with EU rules.

All a company has to do is meet the standards required by whomsoever it is exporting to as China does, and India does and Australia does, as the US does. Of course the EU regulations do not stop horsemeat turning up in burgers or Vietnamese fish exports turning up as Alaskan Pollock. A regulation is only as good as the ability, and the will, to enforce it. In the UK that will is quite strong, in Italy the concerns over Olive Oil tell their own tale and it is comforting to know that the likes of Berlusconi was actively involved in ensuring the regulations were met.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you confirm Britain will to continue to make goods to EU standards and any new ones that come along but won't have any say in their implementation. Yeah I can see Ed Milliband or David Cameron negotiating multi-million contracts on behave of EU owned British companies.

Some people are living in a time of the British Empire rather than the world as it is today...most of British industry was going down the pan before it joined the EU. I doubt a British government would have been able to impose a 'Flight Delay Compensation Regulation' without the EU. Another regulation that will be scrapped?

Jeezus H, of course we will continue to manufacture goods for distribution in the EU but they won't necessarily be identical since all in the EU is not standardised either in terms of items nor in terms of processes. If we have to put a 2-pin plug to suit a French or Spanish socket, we'll do it as we do now and always did; that applies to any country to which we want to sell. Not having a say makes no difference.

Of course it was going down the pan and the reasons have been long discussed on these boards and as for flight delay compensation, is it a given that it will be scrapped, is it a given that all EU regulations will be scrapped, of course it isn't, it's just people like yourself scaremongering on what are relatively piffling examples.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the talk of what will happen if we leave Europe is just a waste of effort, it won't happen, not everyone in this country is stupid enough to believe what a man with a pint tells them.

I'd bet my bacon sandwich on it.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    As well as Miliband and Labour, the Tories and their press allies are also going after Farage and UKIP because they also pose a threat to the Conservatives as we can see from today's Sun front page headlines: Farage loses 1/4 of voters

However, that's also old and outdated information since the pollsters are recording a nationwide rise in UKIP support, e.g. up to 17% and that's reflected in Sky News' poll of polls which has them up one point at 15%. Cameron has now had to resort to begging UKIP voters to return to the Conservatives: David Cameron pleads with UKIP supporters

Seems sensible from Cameron . There's a big gaggle of seats where 20% of the vote is polling UKIP , and the result is a Labour gain. There's also only perhap 2-3 seats where UKIP may actually win - which means millions of UKIP voters are wasting their votes, or voting to get the party in power most opposite to what they want.

Meanwhile, down here in Thanet, South Nigel is asking for a personal vote to save him, and UKIP, and to give him a voice in parliament.

Thats actually a decent argument - because Parliament probably deserves the right wing equivalent of the beast of Bolsover sticking pins in it, and raising issues .

The problem is it only makes sense if voting Nigel doesn't produce the one extra Labour MP which puts Ed into power , with Ed's opposite policies, on almost everything. Which means the polls will be crucial - as no one here can vote tactically without knowing who they should be voting for, to actually achieve what they want. .
  • HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So elect a man who has taken how much EU money over the years? A man accused of using taxpayers money to fund his wife and his mistress. Blair maybe be Teflon but Farage is good old fashion non stick?

OK- but who else is our anti-EU candidate in Thanet ?
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    All the talk of what will happen if we leave Europe is just a waste of effort, it won't happen, not everyone in this country is stupid enough to believe what a man with a pint tells them.

I'd bet my bacon sandwich on it.

Stop calling people stupid who don't share you point of view. It poor debating on your behalf. People will eventually come around to the idea of leaving the EU when they realise more powers are being handed over and we really can't control immigration. The exit of Greece will spice things up too. The EU issue will never go away until we are given a full referendum on it. I will bet my pint of ale on it
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And what about all the tax payers money the Lib-lab-con MEP's have taken over the years? What do all these other MEP'S actually do? They certainly aren't speaking up for our country like Nigel Farage and UKIP do! There is literally tons of footage of UKIP MEP'S speaking out in EU parliament. I kind find virtually nothing from any other party MEP'S. I can only imagine they sit at the back nodding their heads to everything the EU dishes out. So on that basis I would say Nigel Farage is excellent VFM.
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    To be honest, we do need a really strong anti-EU candidate. The EU is really corrupt. I do not want to pull out, blar blar blar, but if you live in Thanet I think it is almost your duty to vote Farage (UKIP) - I say this because we do need a strong anti-EU voice. There is momumental corruption over there and no one else will say anything.. VOTE UKIP IN THANET... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Someone needs to say something, I trust no other UK party to be anti-EU when it is required (I want to stay in EU - of course).

Before the people of Thanet bow to your emploring for them to vote for Farage, what has Farage actually done for the people living in Thanet on a local level so far? What is his place within the community? What was his bond with the area before he became a candidate to be its MP?
  • wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    The EU issue will never go away until we are given a full referendum on it. I will bet my pint of ale on it

Regardless of a referendum result, the EU issue will not go away.

It's not the referendum that decides the EU issue.

It's the EU that decides the UK-EU issue.

I will bet my pint of ale on it..
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    And what about all the tax payers money the Lib-lab-con MEP's have taken over the years? What do all these other MEP'S actually do? They certainly aren't speaking up for our country like Nigel Farage and UKIP do! There is literally tons of footage of UKIP MEP'S speaking out in EU parliament. I kind find virtually nothing from any other party MEP'S. I can only imagine they sit at the back nodding their heads to everything the EU dishes out. So on that basis I would say Nigel Farage is excellent VFM.

UKIP MEPs have the worst attendance and voting records of any party across the entire EU. If I voted for someone to basically do f*ck-all I'd be livid. We should expect better, and yet, we don't. It's shameful.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before the people of Thanet bow to your emploring for them to vote for Farage, what has Farage actually done for the people living in Thanet on a local level so far? What is his place within the community? What was his bond with the area before he became a candidate to be its MP?

I live in Thanet and he has no conection with, and done NOTHING for Thanet despite being the area's MEP for the last 16 years. He doesn't live here and will not do so if he wins. The area exists for him purely as a springboard for his personal ambition.

If he loses he will leave the area and never be seen again by ordinary people here. Other than on TV.
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    Of course it was going down the pan and the reasons have been long discussed on these boards and as for flight delay compensation, is it a given that it will be scrapped, is it a given that all EU regulations will be scrapped, of course it isn't, it's just people like yourself scaremongering on what are relatively piffling examples.

I think you are confusing me with the man in the pub, Farage, he's the one who's been scaremongering with false figures and fabricated facts.
    Forum Member

More a case of inaction speaks louder than words?
    Leader Nigel Farage has the fifth worst attendance record out of all 752 MEPs.

His anti-European Union party sidekicks Godfrey Bloom and deputy leader Paul Nuttall, who each pocket more than £60,000 a year in Brussels salaries, are even lazier.

The pretence he speaks for Britain is shown to be nonsense, but like pigs with their noses in the trough he'll carry on taking the money. He's quite happy to campaign to pull out of the EU knowing it won't happen and the gravy train will continue, for him.

I don't get this image he portrays of being a man of the people, when he's worked in the city all his life gambling on the backs of hardworking Brits.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we really can't control immigration.

Actually you can fully control non EU immigration and already the current government has failed to do so. Why blame the EU for no reason?
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop calling people stupid who don't share you point of view. It poor debating on your behalf. People will eventually come around to the idea of leaving the EU when they realise more powers are being handed over and we really can't control immigration. The exit of Greece will spice things up too. The EU issue will never go away until we are given a full referendum on it. I will bet my pint of ale on it

People won't come around to leaving the EU.

not once they realise that the vast majority of foreign owned manufacturers will up sticks once they are out of the Eu trading area. The UK domestic market will not be enough for the likes of Nissan etc.

And when that happens our BoP deficit will further head south due to the reduction in manufacturing exports and the increase in import costs due to trade tariffs with the rest of the world.

With such a deficit an inevitable weaking of the pound will result and as a net importer of energy will vastly increase the costs of production in the UK.

making the UK even less competitive than it is now with its poor productivity.

Leaving the EU is economic suicide.

As for laws from EU

https://fullfact.org/factchecks/proportion_of_uk_law_made_by_eu-3073

Indeed as the House of Commons Library concluded, it is “possible to justify any measure between 15% and 50% or thereabouts, depending on the approach.”
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    davzer wrote: »
    People won't come around to leaving the EU.

not once they realise that the vast majority of foreign owned manufacturers will up sticks once they are out of the Eu trading area. The UK domestic market will not be enough for the likes of Nissan etc.

And when that happens our BoP deficit will further head south due to the reduction in manufacturing exports and the increase in import costs due to trade tariffs with the rest of the world.

With such a deficit an inevitable weaking of the pound will result and as a net importer of energy will vastly increase the costs of production in the UK.

making the UK even less competitive than it is now with its poor productivity.

Leaving the EU is economic suicide.

As for laws from EU

https://fullfact.org/factchecks/proportion_of_uk_law_made_by_eu-3073

Indeed as the House of Commons Library concluded, it is “possible to justify any measure between 15% and 50% or thereabouts, depending on the approach.”

It would still be UK domestic and European market. Exporting their product would still be the same, deals would be struck accordingly and someone else already pointed out a good while back on this thread or another regarding EU exit, "isn't this the same Nissan (argument) that was given regarding if we didn't join the Euro currency? Nothing changed then.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    isn't this the same Nissan (argument) that was given regarding if we didn't join the Euro currency? Nothing changed then.

The argument was good then and it is good now. Look at recent events: the euro has effectively been devalued against sterling. Overnight our exports have become markedly less competitive. This could not happen if we had joined the euro! Car manufacturers will be struggling in the coming years.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Isn't Nissan no great loss anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    The argument was good then and it is good now. Look at recent events: the euro has effectively been devalued against sterling. Overnight our exports have become markedly less competitive. This could not happen if we had joined the euro! Car manufacturers will be struggling in the coming years.

Now tell us what happened for the past six or seven years and of course it couldn't have happened had we joined the euro, we'd be languising at the bottom with the rest of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are confusing me with the man in the pub, Farage, he's the one who's been scaremongering with false figures and fabricated facts.

Aye I could be, have you regained consciousness yet?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Farage must be exhausted. If you think about it he's been the focus of attention ever since the EU elections. Can't even go out for sunday lunch without being harassed. Lots of pressure on him. Struggling to win his seat. I wouldn't want to be him.. must be a lot of stress he's under.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Isn't Nissan no great loss anyway?

Tell that to the 5,000 people who work at Nissan and the tens of thousands of others who work in supply companies.

What a stupid comment you made.
  • CapparwireCapparwire Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Farage must be exhausted. If you think about it he's been the focus of attention ever since the EU elections. Can't even go out for sunday lunch without being harassed. Lots of pressure on him. Struggling to win his seat. I wouldn't want to be him.. must be a lot of stress he's under.

#PrayForNigel
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    Tell that to the 5,000 people who work at Nissan and the tens of thousands of others who work in supply companies.

What a stupid comment you made.

This is a reference to a comment allaorta made a few years ago, and has conveniently ignored since.

I am one of the people who have worked at Nissan, and probably will do so again in the foreseeable future.

Still, I'm pleased you agree that it was a stupid comment.