Options

Whats the future of the Murdoch press post Murdoch?

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
What is the future of the Murdoch press post Murdoch?

Sorry- I know the "rightful" home of this thread is in the Press section, but I want it to stay in Gen discussions as it might have a wider audience & perhaps people who have studied Media Studies etc.

Recently Ive been noticing that the Sun etc doesnt have the power over the electorate it once had etc (because of falling circulation). THis, combined with the fact that Rupert Murdoch is now in his 80's now points to the fact that we will soon be in the post Murdoch era.

What will happen to his press empire in the UK?? Of course Im not naive enough to believe that Murdoch still has a big say in the day to day running of his UK press industry, but when hes gone (and James Murdoch focusing on the US wing of the business) is this going to lead to a change to his British interests, or even a fragmentation of the business in the UK?

Comments

• Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With respect Boddism I don't think many really care. Newspapers, for me certainly, have not been relevant for many years unless I want to find out information and even then I'm loathe to really believe what is actual fact.

Sales were down 10% recently and I can see them slumping further and it isn't for the lack of delivery lads and girls.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    With respect Boddism I don't think many really care. Newspapers, for me certainly, have not been relevant for many years unless I want to find out information and even then I'm loathe to really believe what is actual fact.

Sales were down 10% recently and I can see them slumping further and it isn't for the lack of delivery lads and girls.

i think you're right, but say the "Daily Mail" demographic: Are they more cynical about the press or do they still just swallow it??

It just seems very obvious that the tabloid press, once this great influential power in elections is becoming less important, even down to the fact that theyre widely RIDICULED when certain stories are run (Eg: George Osbourne MOney Supermarket.com fromt page)
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    i think you're right, but say the "Daily Mail" demographic: Are they more cynical about the press or do they still just swallow it??

It just seems very obvious that the tabloid press, once this great influential power in elections is becoming less important, even down to the fact that theyre widely RIDICULED when certain stories are run (Eg: George Osbourne MOney Supermarket.com fromt page)

To be honest I really believe that people now don't have much political thought when they buy some newspapers, it would be more likely if there was some type of offer, page 3 or just some lowlife putting an article in.

You are quite right in that the newspapers play a far lesser role in an such as an election. People have far more access to other media to inform them of what is going on, opinions and I'd say information between each other. I think we all have a lot to learn from the Scottish Referendum Campaign and how well it engaged people. It is about peoples voices not about media moguls and misleading headlines.

I'm going to enjoy the rest of me vino now :D apols for any typos ;-)
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

I've noticed that the 'man in the street' tends to repeat the usual nonsense spouted by tabloids whenever one is interviewed by the news and issues like welfare claimants or immigrants come up. It's often a case of those who shout loudest and earliest being treated as speaking the truth, regardless of whatever corrections and evidence comes to light later. People remember what was said first, not what happened after.

This is why tabloids, and other parts of the media (plus the press offices of political parties and the government) should be severely fined for misleading the public until they stop doing it.

Increasingly they all the have habit of claiming anything they like, regardless of how accurate it is. They'll then retract or correct if they have to, but by then the damage has been done.

As for Murdoch, his days of deciding who runs the country are gone. Sure, he can still influence things to some extent, but a lot of his stuff is behind pay walls now, and fewer people buy newspapers by the year.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the future of the Murdoch press post Murdoch?

Sorry- I know the "rightful" home of this thread is in the Press section, but I want it to stay in Gen discussions as it might have a wider audience & perhaps people who have studied Media Studies etc.

Recently Ive been noticing that the Sun etc doesnt have the power over the electorate it once had etc (because of falling circulation). THis, combined with the fact that Rupert Murdoch is now in his 80's now points to the fact that we will soon be in the post Murdoch era.

What will happen to his press empire in the UK?? Of course Im not naive enough to believe that Murdoch still has a big say in the day to day running of his UK press industry, but when hes gone (and James Murdoch focusing on the US wing of the business) is this going to lead to a change to his British interests, or even a fragmentation of the business in the UK?

Bearing in mind his children will take over his interests I would say there will still be a Murdoch empire but the simple fact is it does not have the same clout now as it did until relatively recently. As for the US interests the US interests own the UK ones and will probably continue to do so.
  • Options
    Drift AwayDrift Away Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    They have their fingers in many pies and maybe thier influence has lessened but it won't be totally gone for a while I imagine.

I'm no expert though. I don't know much about him or his family to be fair.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I've noticed that the 'man in the street' tends to repeat the usual nonsense spouted by tabloids whenever one is interviewed by the news and issues like welfare claimants or immigrants come up. It's often a case of those who shout loudest and earliest being treated as speaking the truth, regardless of whatever corrections and evidence comes to light later. People remember what was said first, not what happened after.

Yes, I think the influence of tabloids can be underestimated. People like to think they see through the rubbish, yet people do still repeat it. Even if an individual doesn't read the Sun, they may listen to a radio station where the presenters talk about articles, or they get repeated by colleagues, or the mouthy man in the pub. If you aren't paying attention, the drip, drip, drip gets to you.