Options

Recommendations Needed

FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read a lot, mainly crime, murder, gore etc. But every so often I enjoy a break from them and go for quite cheesy, mundane, supernatural type books (vampires, werewolves etc)

I've read all of Charlaine Harris' series (Sookie Stackhouse, Lily Bard, Aurora Teagarden as well as her new one from last year etc) and Deborah Harknesses All Souls Trilogy and I'm now on the look out for something similar - preferably a series.

Or even something quite lighthearted a bit fun? I'm in the last few weeks of pregnancy and have just started my maternity leave and I'm struggling to read the heavier stuff.

Any help will be massively appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series are among my favourites.

Harry is a practising Wizard in Chicago (he's in the phone book). The books are funny, witty, sometimes OTT sometimes quite sad, certainly cheesy. Harry himself is delightful.

And there are 15 books to go at!

Or if you like steamy blockbusters, there's always Outlander - historical with a time travel twist. Eight books and counting.
  • Options
    cathy27cathy27 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Jim Butcher's Dresden series is very good. Best to start at the beginning if you do try them - Storm Front is number 1.

You could also try Stephen Leather's Jack Nightingale series, they're an entertaining read.
  • Options
    Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Swedish fantasy author Margit Sandemo and her Legend of the Ice People books. Would you believe there are 49 - yes, 49 - novels in the series altogether! However, unless you speak fluent Swedish, German or Polish you can only read the first seven, as those are the only ones that have been translated into English.

They are a really enjoyable, easy to read saga, set initially in Scandinavia around about 1500 and moving steadily forward in time. The Ice People are a clan of relatives who all have supernatural powers of one kind or another. I promise you they're not too serious or heavy. If you do try them, make sure you read them in the right order.

And good luck with your pregnancy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you :) just charging the kindle up and then im off to download.

Moll - just out if curiosity, how well has the translation been done? I found reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series quite difficult and I think it was because of the translation?
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    You can combine crime and the supernatural in James Oswald's novels Natural Causes, The Book of Souls, The Hangman's Song and Dead Men's Bones. They're crime novels set in Edinburgh with supernatural themes running alongside the detective work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    Thank you :) just charging the kindle up and then im off to download.

Moll - just out if curiosity, how well has the translation been done
    ? I found reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series quite difficult and I think it was because of the translation?

Fanielle, thanks for your message; in my opinion the translations have been done well; I certainly wasn't conscious of them being done badly while I was reading the books.

My suggestin would be to initially buy just the first one to (a) see if you're happy with the translation,and (b) see if it's your kind of book.

Moll
    x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello again Fanielle! :)

I've just thought of another author you might like - Juliet Marillier. She write books set in ancient Ireland; they are historical fantasy. In the first of one of her sagas, The Daughters of the Forest, a large family of children plays in the forest, which is worshipped by the Druids. A spell is cast on the heroine, Sorcha''s, brothers and they are all turned into swans. Sorcha must complete a magical task before they can become human again.

I really loved this book, and Sorcha is a great heroine. The other sagas Marillier has written are in a similar vein.

They really made me interested in that period of Ireland and in the folklore of trees etc.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    If you like Charlaine Harris, you might enjoy MaryJanice Davidson's books Undead series or Lynsay Sands' Argenau series. They're all very light-hearted quick reads that are just the thing for when you want something undemanding.

Sherilyn Kenyon, JR Ward and Christine Feehan also write paranormal romance. Christine Feehan has got a ton of series about all kinds of paranormal creatures - vampires, shape-shifters, witches, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah this is all brilliant thank you so much!

I'm currently having a really lazy stage where I can't even be bothered to start my kindle up, but I'm also struggling to sleep so will be checking all suggestions out tomorrow for sure.

You've all been so very helpful :) x
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    if you are looking for some fairly light-hearted crime stuff try a Scottish author called Christopher brookmyre

his jack parlabane novels are very funny , they start with a book called "quite ugly one morning"
  • Options
    ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the suggestions above I totally agree with with special mention to Christopher Brookmyre and Jim Butcher.
    Depending on how easy to read you want to go then Deborah Geary's books about modern witches (starting with A Modern Witch) are surprisingly good. They are very light reading but I became addicted.
    They are reasonably cheap on kindle (I only started reading them because they were on Kindle Unlimited) .