Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no particular order.

Best: London, Sheffield, Birmingham.

Worst: Liverpool, Hull, Wigan.

the proof of the pudding is in the eating...

coachloads of tourists every day..mainly Japanese and Chinese, plenty to see and do and many fine eateries...

so...if you try it you may like it
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    You think Swindon is the best town/city in the UK?! Seriously?! :o

I do indeed. I love Swindon.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    In no particular order.

Best: London, Sheffield, Birmingham.

Worst: Liverpool, Hull, Wigan.

Really? Out of all the places you could pick in the UK I just can't comprehend that. A lively, modern city centre with great shops and restaurants, loads to do. Like the last poster would say, I'm sure the many tourists would disagree with you there.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I went to Glasgow and that was a horrible place. At least the part I was in.

The West Side is meant to be arty and rather fancy. :)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    ely is the only city i can think of that i like.

like:
    saffron walden
    kings lynn
    cromer.

loathe:
    london
    cambridge
    oxford.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best
    - Edinburgh

Worst
    - Jaywick - I only learned of this hovel's existence because of a similar thread on here. I still can't believe how bad it looks. It's like something from the 3rd world.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are obvious themes to my favourite and least favourite cities. My favourites being beautiful historic places such as Winchester, Bath, York, Cambridge, Durham, Lincoln and Norwich, and the worst being more modern / industrial places such as Birmingham, Manchester and sorry, yes Liverpool, definitely Liverpool.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Best Cities...

3rd - Edinburgh
    The Scottish capital is the definition of a pretty picture. Many cities are interesting to look at, and even often beautiful (if you have an appreciation for architectural beauty as well as natural beauty) but it takes something for a city to look stunning. Edinburgh is indeed stunning, and backs it up with plenty of places to explore, something to do around every corner, and places to see nearby as well. As for its people, I'll say they're probably among the most proud when it comes to their hometown, but it's a justified pride... they are mostly very welcoming and friendly, though you have to accept that like London there is usually a bit of a hectic rush about everything.

2nd - Liverpool
    Having only very recently been to Liverpool I was astonished by it. It has a brilliant mix of character, vibrance, charm and friendliness about it. It's only two hours from London, half hour from Chester and Manchester and yet holds its own with an array of iconic landmarks, a fantastic and modernised shopping area and a very welcoming feel to it. Living in London, I've never really found anywhere else that can match its convenience and variety until I saw Liverpool. It's genuinely the first place in the UK I've found that I would be happy to live in away from London.

1st - London
    The only real problem with London being the top position, apart from my bias as a resident of Greater London, is that it's a very marmite-esque choice for people, and the reasons that people love it are perfectly justifiable as reasons why other people would loathe it. It's huge size means that it lacks the charm of a smaller city, and the brisk pace of everything means that a rush may be mistook for being unfriendly. Most people in London though are genuinely very friendly though, and whilst London is both crowded and expensive there is plenty to see and do no matter your budget or how long or short you have there.

Worst Cities...

3rd - Norwich
    A 'worst' city is likely to always be subjective to personal bad experiences, and often isn't actually that bad at all - 'bad' in the case of Norwich simply means 'the worst of a very good selection'. Whilst there's little actually wrong with Norwich, it doesn't have the character of other similar cathedral cities... it's tried to modernise over time and not necessarily succeeded. It's big enough to lose the charm it'd have as a small city, but not big enough to have the vibrant character of the UK's bigger cities. My personal bias comes in here, and I'll admit that Norwich wasn't home to the friendliest locals I've met either.

2nd - Swindon
    It's horrible to admit it but Swindon is the 'nothing there' city as far as I'm concerned. There is little that appeals in a visit to Swindon, but that seems to simply be because it seems to simply be a city where people live but there's not actually anything there for the people who visit. Its few attractions are very niche, and because it's so not catered to tourists, it also doesn't offer the best in terms of hospitality either.

1st - Birmingham
    For me Birmingham is the definition of bland. It's London without the landmarks. Whilst there are a few things worth seeing there, the bulk of the city is simply dedicated to being an identikit of every other huge city. It's good for shopping, but so too are London, Manchester and Liverpool among others, and they have a lot more of other things that Birmingham just seems to lack. Its size means its just as "unfriendly" and hectic as London, but it's far less interesting, and far further away from anywhere interesting. Even as my least favourite city, it's still perfectly fine and is simply the worst of a good selection (of those I've visited at least).

Other Cities I Liked:
    Belfast
    Cardiff
    Plymouth
    Chester
    Canterbury
    Nottingham

Other Cities I Didn't Like:
    Cambridge
    Newport
    Leicester
    Coventry
    Portsmouth

I might think about deciding on some towns as well, though I've visited so many I'll do that another time. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might think about deciding on some towns as well, though I've visited so many I'll do that another time. :)

You already have, Swindon's a town not a city.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spent from age 12-36 in Woking, now that is one dive I'm glad I don't still live in.

I live in Bath and, much as it's considered a great place to visit, it's also not too bad to live in but obviously living somewhere you get to know the worst of a place, rather than being a tourist seeing the best bits. I'm glad I moved here though, I love it.

I haven't lived in any other places in the UK since being a toddler, so I can't really make a best/worst list as I think you have to live somewhere to really know if a place deserves to be on the list. Visiting isn't the same at all.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »
    You already have, Swindon's a town not a city.

So it is! :o
    I'd substitute Newport in Wales into my 'bottom 3' for basically the same reasons though. :)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so...if you try it you may like it

I have. I didn't.
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I'm sure the many tourists would disagree with you there.

I'm sure some of them would and I'm sure some of them wouldn't. But this thread is about personal opinions, not whether a city has tourists visiting it or not.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    York is architecturally beautiful but is very traffic congested and SO busy. My son lives there. I couldnt stick all those people all the time.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Best

1. Swindon...
    Your nomination for Swindon as the best town in the UK must have been for a bet, right?

It's like someone decided to take an enormous shite around Vale of White Horse and Oxfordshire; then decided to name it 'Swindon'.

The only good thing to emerge from Swindon was XTC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your nomination for Swindon as the best town in the UK must have been for a bet, right?

It's like someone decided to take an enormous shite around Vale of White Horse and Oxfordshire; then decided to name it 'Swindon'.

The only good thing to emerge from Swindon was XTC.

No bet. It's all subjective.
  • Options
    SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Bristol
    2. London
    3. Bath
    4. Edinburgh

Dislike
    1. Bedford
    2. Ashford
    3. Leicester
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Best
    Liverpool
    London
    St Davids

Worst
    Birmingham
    Leeds
    Swindon
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Best: Totnes, Wells, Lewes

I have to take issue with the first one. Dartmouth.

Best.
    1. Dartmouth.
    2. London.
    3. Cambridge.

Worst.
    1. Merthyr Tydfil.
    2. Caerphilly.
    3. Swindon.

Not a complete list, I might add.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could I forget Belfast! Absolutely horrible place.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best:

1. Durham
    2. Newcastle upon Tyne
    3. Keswick

Worst:

1. Skegness
    2. Sunderland
    3. Berwick-upon-Tweed
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Best Cities...

3rd - Edinburgh
    The Scottish capital is the definition of a pretty picture. Many cities are interesting to look at, and even often beautiful (if you have an appreciation for architectural beauty as well as natural beauty) but it takes something for a city to look stunning. Edinburgh is indeed stunning, and backs it up with plenty of places to explore, something to do around every corner, and places to see nearby as well. As for its people, I'll say they're probably among the most proud when it comes to their hometown, but it's a justified pride... they are mostly very welcoming and friendly, though you have to accept that like London there is usually a bit of a hectic rush about everything.

2nd - Liverpool
    Having only very recently been to Liverpool I was astonished by it. It has a brilliant mix of character, vibrance, charm and friendliness about it. It's only two hours from London, half hour from Chester and Manchester and yet holds its own with an array of iconic landmarks, a fantastic and modernised shopping area and a very welcoming feel to it. Living in London, I've never really found anywhere else that can match its convenience and variety until I saw Liverpool. It's genuinely the first place in the UK I've found that I would be happy to live in away from London.

1st - London
    The only real problem with London being the top position, apart from my bias as a resident of Greater London, is that it's a very marmite-esque choice for people, and the reasons that people love it are perfectly justifiable as reasons why other people would loathe it. It's huge size means that it lacks the charm of a smaller city, and the brisk pace of everything means that a rush may be mistook for being unfriendly. Most people in London though are genuinely very friendly though, and whilst London is both crowded and expensive there is plenty to see and do no matter your budget or how long or short you have there.

Worst Cities...

3rd - Norwich
    A 'worst' city is likely to always be subjective to personal bad experiences, and often isn't actually that bad at all - 'bad' in the case of Norwich simply means 'the worst of a very good selection'. Whilst there's little actually wrong with Norwich, it doesn't have the character of other similar cathedral cities... it's tried to modernise over time and not necessarily succeeded. It's big enough to lose the charm it'd have as a small city, but not big enough to have the vibrant character of the UK's bigger cities. My personal bias comes in here, and I'll admit that Norwich wasn't home to the friendliest locals I've met either.

2nd - Swindon
    It's horrible to admit it but Swindon is the 'nothing there' city as far as I'm concerned. There is little that appeals in a visit to Swindon, but that seems to simply be because it seems to simply be a city where people live but there's not actually anything there for the people who visit. Its few attractions are very niche, and because it's so not catered to tourists, it also doesn't offer the best in terms of hospitality either.

1st - Birmingham
    For me Birmingham is the definition of bland. It's London without the landmarks. Whilst there are a few things worth seeing there, the bulk of the city is simply dedicated to being an identikit of every other huge city. It's good for shopping, but so too are London, Manchester and Liverpool among others, and they have a lot more of other things that Birmingham just seems to lack. Its size means its just as "unfriendly" and hectic as London, but it's far less interesting, and far further away from anywhere interesting. Even as my least favourite city, it's still perfectly fine and is simply the worst of a good selection (of those I've visited at least).

Other Cities I Liked:
    Belfast
    Cardiff
    Plymouth
    Chester
    Canterbury
    Nottingham

Other Cities I Didn't Like:
    Cambridge
    Newport
    Leicester
    Coventry
    Portsmouth

Swindon is a town, not a city.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have always lived in The Black Country. I have visited other places but I have not spent enough there to judge them.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst, Dundee

Best, Belfast.
  • Options
    japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I have to take issue with the first one. Dartmouth.

Best.
    1. Dartmouth.
    2. London.
    3. Cambridge.

Worst.
    1. Merthyr Tydfil.
    2. Caerphilly.
    3. Swindon.

Not a complete list, I might add.
    Since when was Merthyr Tydfil & Caerphilly made cities?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japara wrote: »
    Since when was Merthyr Tydfil & Caerphilly made cities?

To be fair to the poster...read the thread title.