Brit Awards - Who's been snubbed?

2»

Comments

• ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah. Forgot about best female. She was the biggest star in the world at that point, and they just completely ignore her.

It was a difficult night for her fans. I still remember it.:cry:

But looking back, it was probably due to timing. She hadn't yet had her Worldwide success when the votes were in and Spirit was released quite late in 2007. I don't think anyone had quite processed its impact at the time of voting. Her major worldwide success was in 2008 and that led to 3 Grammy nominations.

Fan voting meant that Bleeding Love didn't win a Brit which looking back was ridiculous. It is still played Worldwide today and is probably now on its way to becoming a classic. It is certainly a bigger song than the song which beat it.

And she gave a great performance that night.

Of course, I'm not bitter. :blush::D
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I love that Gary Barlow has been snubbed.

I just can't stand the guy and how overexposed he is.

He hasn't been snubbed, neither was Robbie Williams as both released too late to qualify, not a fan of either and to be honest they don't really need another Brit to feed their ego's.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1975. Should have been nominated for breakthrough, band and album.
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if the Viking gods are right on that day and if it is over we will not see it.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting article about the lack of real charisma in the nominations

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/09/brits-2014-awards-wheres-the-charisma-music

I don't agree with the blanket statement that UK music lacks charisma but certainly the mainstream does. Can you picture any of these artists doing a Jarvis Cocker or a Noel Gallagher (as much as I can't stand him, he makes things interesting), or a Danbert Nobacon.

Where are the 'characters' in mainstream music? The people who are not manufactured to be controversial or edgy but are just naturally that way?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/09/brits-2014-awards-wheres-the-charisma-music

I don't agree with the blanket statement that UK music lacks charisma but certainly the mainstream does. Can you picture any of these artists doing a Jarvis Cocker or a Noel Gallagher (as much as I can't stand him, he makes things interesting), or a Danbert Nobacon.

Where are the 'characters' in mainstream music? The people who are not manufactured to be controversial or edgy but are just naturally that way?
    I'm not sure it's really improved very much by artists acting in that way. It makes me laugh when artists such as the Gallaghers/Oasis etc. act all anti-establishment like they're too cool to be there. Of course, they still turn up hoping to win an award :D.
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actual I think the Sex Pistols and Nirvana or even Gun And Roses, and Even the Manic Street Preachers are more anti establishment than Oasis.Well Noel more the better one nowadays but Liam is all green these day.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love or hate Noel, he gives a great interview.

Of course the nominees are more boring personality-wise than their 90s counterparts, it'd be ludicrous to suggest otherwise. I certainly wouldn't tune into the awards expecting any kind of controversy (which actually used to be a big drawing point for the Brits).
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's really improved very much by artists acting in that way. It makes me laugh when artists such as the Gallaghers/Oasis etc. act all anti-establishment like they're too cool to be there. Of course, they still turn up hoping to win an award :D.

They all know beforehand who has won to be fair. I've read countless autobiographies where the phrase "We were told we'd won a Brit Award...." is written
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive been saying for years there are too few categories meaning restrictions on the amount of nominees and usually who gets nominated. What is wrong with adding best pop, rock, indie, urban, dance the UK shines in all these categories yet so many artists are ignored (yet this year im surprised in a good way at disclosure and rudimental) A peoples choice award sounds good with say 10 of the best*UK and international acts. Obviously we don't want endless categories but say 5 more wouldnt hurt and would allowa better representation.

It always feels to me they try too hard with the actaul show and the performers and the nominations/awards are last.

Read more:*http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/thesound/a543040/brit-awards-2014-nominations-who-missed-out.html#ixzz2q5a2Fm1U*
    Follow us:*@digitalspy on Twitter*|*digitalspyuk on Facebook
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Love or hate Noel, he gives a great interview.

Of course the nominees are more boring personality-wise than their 90s counterparts, it'd be ludicrous to suggest otherwise. I certainly wouldn't tune into the awards expecting any kind of controversy (which actually used to be a big drawing point for the Brits).
    I don't think it needs controversy to be less boring. There was a good interview on Drowned in Sound with the guy who used to produce the Brit Awards show where he was lamenting how safe and uncreative the actual show has become (and music on TV in general). Put on a more musically interesting show and you don't need an attention seeker trying to be 'controversial'.

They all know beforehand who has won to be fair. I've read countless autobiographies where the phrase "We were told we'd won a Brit Award...." is written
    Yes, it's probably to guarantee artists turn up, especially the foreign ones.

simonk243 wrote: »
    ive been saying for years there are too few categories meaning restrictions on the amount of nominees and usually who gets nominated. What is wrong with adding best pop, rock, indie, urban, dance the UK shines in all these categories yet so many artists are ignored (yet this year im surprised in a good way at disclosure and rudimental) A peoples choice award sounds good with say 10 of the best*UK and international acts. Obviously we don't want endless categories but say 5 more wouldnt hurt and would allowa better representation.

It always feels to me they try too hard with the actaul show and the performers and the nominations/awards are last.

Read more:*http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/thesound/a543040/brit-awards-2014-nominations-who-missed-out.html#ixzz2q5a2Fm1U*
    Follow us:*@digitalspy on Twitter*|*digitalspyuk on Facebook
    Yes, it needs more categories like other genres to be a better representation of British music. I would even scrap the 'international' categories to make room for them and make it purely about British music. Artists from other countries don't really care about The Brit Awards anyway. It would never happen though, as you say they seem more concerned with the show itself than the actual awards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed with lack of recognition given to The 1975, Chvrches and Foals

I think if there were more categories it would be more fair, surprised Tinie Tempah and Miley Cyrus haven't been nominated, but it was unrealistic to think Rebecca Ferguson, Saturdays and Little Mix would be nominated - they haven't had the sales and the critical acclaim Arctic Monkeys, 1D and Ellie Goulding have had
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Miley Cyrus definitely. She's had decent sales considering this is the first album she's really properly launched over here, I mean before 2013 nobody in the UK really cared or knew much about Miley, where as Gaga and Katy have two albums which already did very well over here, so Miley isn't far behind them considering they've been the bigger stars since 2008.

Plus 2 number one singles, which were good quality songs in fairness, and the fact she's been the most talked about singer of last year - she definitely deserved a nomination at least.
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, Iggy Azalea! Forgot about her.
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getty wrote: »
    He hasn't been snubbed, neither was Robbie Williams as both released too late to qualify, not a fan of either and to be honest they don't really need another Brit to feed their ego's.

I'm surprised Robbie hasn't been nominated for Best Male at least. He has had 2 albums out in the past 18 months, which is more than enough to justify him being nominated.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wondered why they got rid of Best international album and Best international breakthrough.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OneRepublic!
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    OneRepublic!

Yes a brilliant group and one of the biggest hits of the year.

I counted "6" British categories 6? So few I find it so bizarre to have so few just odd :confused:

An insult that there is no category for best dance and best urban the UK leads the world in these areas embarrassing :blush:
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1975 have been snubbed big time.

The reason Miley has been ignored is probably down to the music being so horrendous.
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Mix
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spindiddly wrote: »
    The 1975 have been snubbed big time.

At least they didn't get snubbed in. the NME awards, they got nominated for worst band.