Options

O2 Breaking data protection law

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
Just had a text message from O2 which says...
Hi (my name). Did you know you get lots of extras just for being an O2 customer? Because you asked us to stop sending you emails and texts, we weren't able to let you know about them. So if you want to change your mind, please visit http://s.o2.co.uk/optin/

So basically they've admitted that I've opted out of them sending me emails or texts that inform me of special offers so they decided to send me a text to inform me that I may want to change my subscripon settings because they weren't able to inform me of such offers.

Surely this in itself is a clear breach of data protection law seeing as by their own admission I've opted out of receiving messages related to offers. I should not be receiving any such text messages as I've asked not to be contacted with news about offers so why have they just sent me this message?

I have a good mind to report them to Offcom. I have no time or sympathy for companies that don't respect customers privacy requests.

The link wont work because I've removed the last part of the URL which contains my mobile number and links to my account.

Comments

• Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    In what way have they broken data protection law?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way have they broken data protection law?

I have opted out of receiving texts and emails with regards to special offers so sending someone messages of this nature when they have specifically asked not to be contacted is a breach of privacy laws.

Sending someone text messages to ask them to reconsider changing their privacy settings so they opt in to receive these messages is in my opinion a breach of my privacy settings.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they haven't broken data protection by sending you the text, as they clearly know your number as they supply it to you.

they haven't sent you a text that you have opted out of.

however, as you said you have no time for companies like this, i assume you will be cancelling immediately?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which one of these principles did it violate?

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/the-data-protection-act

They don't seem to have shared your data with anyone without your knowledge.
    The Wizard wrote:
    Sending someone text messages to ask them to reconsider changing their privacy settings so they opt in to receive these messages is in my opinion a breach of my privacy settings.
    When there is a set of clearly defined guidelines your opinion doesn't really enter in to it.

Although I agree the text is a bit silly.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Daft text, likely as demonstrated counter productive but no breach.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people sticking up for o2 here? They basically said you've opted out of receiving this message but we are going to send it to you anyway. Unforgivable.

OP might have got his laws/acts mixed up but o2 are breaking some kind of law doing this. Ofcom would not approve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are people sticking up for o2 here? They basically said you've opted out of receiving this message but we are going to send it to you anyway. Unforgivable.

OP might have got his laws/acts mixed up but o2 are breaking some kind of law doing this. Ofcom would not approve.

What law?
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    No laws have been broken.

Theyve sent a text to a sim card and telaphone number they own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »

Whether it's my own network provider or not, receiving marketing messages from a company that you've specifically asked not to contact you anymore with regards to this kind of message I would have thought was classed as spamming and illegal.

I was always under the impression that if a company continues to send you messages when you've previously asked them not to contact you anymore is breaking the law. My privacy settings clearly state that I don't wish to receive these kind of messages but they decided they're gonna send them anyway. Bang out of order!
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    This thread is pointless...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »

Yes they have broken the Privacy and Electronic Regulations 2003. They have contravened section 21 of the act which clearly states that it's illegal to send someone marketing messages/calls to a.number that has unsubscribed or opted out of such.correspondence. The fact that O2 own the number is irrelevant. This doesn't make them exempt from the law.
  • Options
    wb9999wb9999 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    PECR only applies to messages that are 'marketing'. I don't agree with the type of message O2 sent (and so not defending them). They could easily argue their message was not marketing, and merely requesting confirmation from you of your opt-out settings - and this is permitted although likely to annoy the customer.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Yes they have broken the Privacy and Electronic Regulations 2003. They have contravened section 21 of the act which clearly states that it's illegal to send someone marketing messages/calls to a.number that has unsubscribed or opted out of such.correspondence. The fact that O2 own the number is irrelevant. This doesn't make them exempt from the law.

So when did they call you?
    Unsolicited calls for direct marketing purposes

21. (1) A person shall neither use, nor instigate the use of, a public electronic communications service for the purposes of making unsolicited calls for direct marketing purposes where—
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether it's my own network provider or not, receiving marketing messages from a company that you've specifically asked not to contact you anymore with regards to this kind of message I would have thought was classed as spamming and illegal.

I was always under the impression that if a company continues to send you messages when you've previously asked them not to contact you anymore is breaking the law. My privacy settings clearly state that I don't wish to receive these kind of messages but they decided they're gonna send them anyway. Bang out of order!

so you are cancelling then?
    as you said you had no time for such companies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Thread of the day.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face with your drama queen reaction OP! :D
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I think I might be a bit envious of someone who has so little drama in their lives that this would even enter the list of things to worry about...Lucky man....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i got the same text from O2 a couple of days ago.
    guess what i did... i hit delete and continued with my life....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I think I might be a bit envious of someone who has so little drama in their lives that this would even enter the list of things to worry about...Lucky man....

It's all about perspective and priorities.

Receiving a text from O2 wouldn't even make it on to my list.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a text message from O2 which says...

So basically they've admitted that I've opted out of them sending me emails or texts that inform me of special offers so they decided to send me a text to inform me that I may want to change my subscripon settings because they weren't able to inform me of such offers.

Surely this in itself is a clear breach of data protection law seeing as by their own admission I've opted out of receiving messages related to offers. I should not be receiving any such text messages as I've asked not to be contacted with news about offers so why have they just sent me this message?

I have a good mind to report them to Offcom. I have no time or sympathy for companies that don't respect customers privacy requests.

The link wont work because I've removed the last part of the URL which contains my mobile number and links to my account.

They have to remove you within a certain number of days, of course they can send a confirmation text asking if you're sure, but after the period you can complain about being contacted and further hassled.

The ICO is who deals with this sort of stuff, not Ofcom (one F). However I doubt the information commissioner will get too excited over 1 further text, especially if it was within the period they have to remove you (something like 7 days)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link. I actually agree that the text is stupid, I'm just not convinced it breaks any laws, presumably O2 would have checked that out prior to sending these texts.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link. I actually agree that the text is stupid, I'm just not convinced it breaks any laws, presumably O2 would have checked that out prior to sending these texts.

Exactly, in fact as the holder of information they have a duty to make sure that they keep their records up to date (which includes marketing preferences). I can't see how seeking confirmation and telling the consumer how to change it, is breaking any laws.

Provided they also ask people who are opted in and don't harass subscribers with too many requests then I don't see the problem - other than clumsy wording.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Yawn.. Is this thread still going? Really? Come on now.

I'm going back to sleep..