Options

Fidel Castro has died

1235»

Comments

• Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've most likely seen this image at some point. http://salmanshaheen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Che_Guevara.jpg

Who he is will largely depend on who you're asking. To some he is a hero, a revolutionary figure. To others he was a monster. The truth is somewhere in the middle I expect. He was also a trained doctor. He did many good things, but also some bad.

Now I'm confused. So Che was Castro???
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    They tried and failed, BIG time! So they threw their dummy out and imposed sanctions thinking Cuba would cave in.

They failed big time, but did not try big time. Let's get that clear.

If the USA had really wanted to invade/take over Cuba it could all have been done within a week.

Cuba to the USA in terms of military power is like comparing chalk with cheese.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Lots of diverse opinions here about Castro. There is no doubt he brought radical change to Cuba and yes lots of elderly Cubans were devoted to him, but he was a dreadful dictator, killing and imprisoning many thousands of people who spoke out against him. When I visited Cuba several years ago, there were no mobile phones, very restricted internet and most if not all young Cubans who I met were just waiting for him to die in the hope that their lives would improve. Havana is literally falling down, the other major towns are in some cases little more than slums with open sewers. There are some excellent things about Cuba though, everyone is guaranteed a job if they want one, The health service and education services are second to none They have a great idea about moving around the island, if you are in a car or truck and have room for passengers, they have marshals who will stop you, find out where you are going to and make you take on unpaid passengers. Hopefully Cuba will now come out of the dark ages it has been trapped in for the last few decades and things will improve for the ordinary Cuban. I suspect the reason that Castro is so revered by many is not so much that he was a great man but that he cocked a snoot at America for so long.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I'm confused. So Che was Castro???

Lol. I kinda hope you're not serious, but just in case you are, no, Fidel Castro and Che Guevara were not the same person. :D

In your previous post you asked who Che was. In a nutshell, Che helped Castro overthrow the Cuban govt (under Batista) which was heavily supported by the US but also very corrupt. Fidel Castro had problems too, but the US constantly undermined him, so it's not surprising.

This is Fidel and Che, just after they took over in Cuba. http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/picture-taken-in-the-early-60s-of-the-cuban-revolution-leader-fidel-picture-id52016445

Lots of people will say how unreliable Wikipedia is but honestly, it's a good starting point for historical figures and events. Che was quite a fascinating guy, Castro too. Have a gander some time. :)
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I suspect the reason that Castro is so revered by many is not so much that he was a great man but that he cocked a snoot at America for so long.

True. Which is weird really, because you don't see people lauding Kim Jong-Un or Putin for the same reason. Maybe their health services aren't good enough.