If somehow The Apple iPad reaches UK, Will you buy it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    And would only drive on 50% of the nations roads....

and you would be able to do the shopping in it - or commute to work - but not both in the same trip.

Though they would never break down :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Does the iPad support DIVX/XVID out of the box?. Or will it be a case of needing a Mac or PC to convert first, then sync with iTunes?. That could be a real pain in the derrière.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »

Ah the Apple fanboy's fantasy lives on.
    Forum Member

Yes they would, just not as often as others would.

Or you would start it up, and it would randomly delete your passengers but Apple would deny that is a problem. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they would, just not as often as others would.

Or you would start it up, and it would randomly delete your passengers but Apple would deny that is a problem. :D

Or your widscreen would turn black completely at random for no apparent reason and you have to press all the buttons in the car all at the same time to clear it (happens on my iPhone from time to time).

Or suddenly for no apparent reason - all the gadgets in your car would stop working and you have to hook it up to a computer running apple software in order to get them working again (again from time to time the apps on my iPhone stop working for no apparent reason and I have to sync with iTunes to get them going again).

You'd also only get 2mpg out of the car despite manufacturers claims it will do 40mpg.

and when the battery needs changing - rather than take it to Halfords or do it yourself - you'd have to send it off to the manufacturer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the iphone it is only apple product I have ever bought.

I couldn't see myself buying an ipad. I have lots of technology in my house and I do enjoy using it.

But I actually feel quite sad as items like the ipad are going to take the place of books, I am old fashioned that I don't like the idea of reading books online. I prefer to hold a book and wander through libraries and books stores which I believe are in trouble.

I think the technology behind it is great and interesting but it is just not for me.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For browsing the web there is simply no greater device than an iPhone.

Desktop or Notebook. . .when you use iPhone they get blown away.

Adaptive website size and zoom - it just makes all the difference. So easy to use and this will appeal to people in the netbook market who just want to browse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Ah the Apple fanboy's fantasy lives on.

haha, I am a girl and I'm teasing you you plonker (meant in a nice way :D) . I am NOT GOING TO BUY THE IPAD because I think its not up to scratch and I think apple are up to their usual cynical marketing to get people interested but only really offer what people want several generations down the line.

As for the Macs vs PC "wars" - its RUBBISH. They both offer different things to different people. And you know, you can have both at the same time and it doens't matter.

Whatever choice a person makes, its right for THEM and that's what matters. Not what anyone else thinks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundburst wrote: »

Unless the website you want to browse contains Flash elements like streaming video, picture galleries etc.....

Also - in landscape mode the keyboard obscures over half of the screen so its difficult to see what you are typing in forums etc.

Its good when out and about - but for web browsing its in no way superior to my desktop PC and 23 inch 16:9 monitor running at ~1900x1200 resolution
    Forum Member

Adaptive website size and zoom - it just makes all the difference. So easy to use and this will appeal to people in the netbook market who just want to browse.

Really?.

Hmm, OK if you say so says I while watching flash videos on many sites (not just Youtube), playing flash games on other sites (love retro games) on my 22" widescreen monitor or my 16" laptop.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

iPhones are good for browsing when out and about but there is no way I'd use it instead of a full size screen at home.
    Forum Member

What about people in the netbook market who want to play flash games, watch video websites and all those people who play flash games on Facebook?. Or those who want to work on documents at the same time as doing research online in their local coffee shop or McDonalds?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    iPhones are good for browsing when out and about but there is no way I'd use it instead of a full size screen at home.

They're great for when you're in bed (and have time to use them of course! :p ).
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're great for when you're in bed (and have time to use them of course! :p ).

My netbook is good for that too and it has no problem with any websites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member

I can see why that might be important on a phone-sized browser, but I'm yet to encounter a website yet on my netbook that has made me sigh to myself, 'darn, if only I had adaptive website size and zoom'. Maybe I am just surfing on the wrong websites? In any case, if I did want to zoom, I would just press the 'Ctrl'&'+' keys.
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    That is simply scary. My God, who would chose this instead of an IPad? Plus it works on Windows like all of them, the worst system in existence. Besides buying the Ipad, I'm buying all the Apple features. The Iphoto on The Ipad left me drooling.

That's just fud, windows is nowhere near as bad as people would like to make out.

I wouldn't choose that device in particular, but at least it can multitask which to me is a fairly basic requirement.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    :cry::confused:

I'm a bit let down by the iPad. I would buy it if it was the same price / a little more than the ipod touch but not at £400+. and no way will I touch the 3G version at £500 with extra mobile broadband charges ontop.

Its worthless in my opinion at that price. The LCD bright glossy screen will strain your eyes when reading your £15 "book"- that's why e-readers have e-ink. There's no camera for web conversation, no USB to quickly load files on and off without having to use itunes and no external card slots. its not that mobile and will need a protective case = more bulk to carry around. Its capacity is smaller than notebooks/laptops too.

I love my ipod touch even more now because it does everything the ipad does at a third the cost. If I want to read a book I will go buy one and a fraction of the cost that's physical.
    the ipod touch/ iphone is small and portable too but I still use the laptop for entertainment and office use on the go because it gets things (multiple things) done. - what can the ipad do that laptops/ notebooks and ipods cant?

the ipad is a recreation device that's true but its just adding to the increasing number of other devices. a phone, laptop and ipod is all you need. the iPad just doesn't seem to be comfortable - its not a tablet pc yet its not an ipod.. its .. nothing and an expensive noting at that.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    That's just fud, windows is nowhere near as bad as people would like to make out.

Well to me it's just a big unstable mess. The feature i require the most in my computers, due to the nature of my job, is stability and it needs to be absolutely reliable.

I can understand that gamers would not be to pleased with the Mac, for the rest besides the price( that it pays itself in the long run because macs last forever) I see no reason, why would anyone choose a computer running on windows.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Well to me it's just a big unstable mess. The feature i require the most in my computers, due to the nature of my job, is stability and it needs to be absolutely reliable.

I can understand that gamers would not be to pleased with the Mac, for the rest besides the price( that it pays itself in the long run because macs last forever) I see no reason, why would anyone choose a computer running on windows.

To the rest of us, the iPad is a crippled though stylish device. No flash rules it out completely for me. You may bleat on all you like about HTML 5 and H.264 replacing it, but there is one trouble with the future, and that is, it's not here yet. No point in releasing a device now for the web as it will be in 3-4 years' time. I'll have bought a new one by then.
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member

Windows from Vista SP1 onwards has been just as stable and reliable as a Mac. More so in my experience.

And "macs last forever"???
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All my windows devices are reliable. You can make any PC unstable and unreliable if you try but there is nothing intrinsically better about the unix branches, unless you buy into the mudslinging about windows.

A Mac wouldn't last any longer than a well built Windows box, hell you can run them on the same hardware so why would it?
  • noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    And "macs last forever"???

Until the next generation version comes out. Thus it must be replaced and the old one tossed in the bin.
    Forum Member

Was the last time you used Windows in the days of ME?.

After XP SP2 and now Windows 7 I have never had a crash to be honest. To be honest I only switched back to Windows at home because my 4 year old iMac gave up the ghost and I couldn't justify the asking price of another Mac. However, I was very surprised at the stability of XP on the laptop I bought having last used Windows on a home machine that ran ME (now that was an unstable, crap pile of pooh).

Next machine I bought was a Vista laptop, again no problems with it at all. Had a video conversion app crash a few times but it didn't bring down the whole system and the next version of the app fixed reliability issues. Now on a self built W7 system and it's superb so far.

Besides, even Macs have problems sometimes, otherwise Apple wouldn't need a support forum :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noelfirl wrote: »
    Until the next generation version comes out. Thus it must be replaced and the old one tossed in the bin.

Like a PC, TV, DVD or any other electronic device.

Unless you don't and you keep on using them as they are. It's the operating systems, programs and external devices that force change. The iMac and G4 laptop I got nearly 10 years ago both still work fine, they are just not up to date OS wise.
  • System CrashSystem Crash Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely will NOT be buying one.

When it comes to Apple, you are paying for a brand name.

My current mobile phone for example can record High Definition video as well as having an 8-megapixel camera and an AMOLED (organic LED) screen. The hardware is absolutely superior to anything on an Apple smartphone.

But it costs half as much as an iPhone 3GS. People who buy Apple aren't getting increased functionality or hardware, they are simply paying for a "brand name".

It's not as if Apple has a better reputation than Sony or Samsung anyway, yet they still see fit to charge twice as much, for equivalent and/or inferior hardware.