astra 1n comming soon

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sat.Deelay wrote: »
    The footprint is shown on the website. Looks like it'll still be receivable in some parts outside of the UK on a 60cm dish, so not exactly as tightly focused as the Irish spot-beam.

EDIT: Forgot to add the link!
    http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/satellite-fleet/satellite-list/astra1n/index.php

Interesting that only one of the three beams is UK focussed, the other two are pan-European.

So roughly 16-18 UK transponders.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Astra 1N is currently named Object A orbiting 25,000 km x 36,000 km and is located here http://www.n2yo.com/?s=37775 at 4°W.

The other bird is named Object C and appears to be close to its designated orbital location.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Interesting that only one of the three beams is UK focussed, the other two are pan-European.

So roughly 16-18 UK transponders.

But all are switchable wide or spotbeam so in effect all 52Ku band transponders are potentially able to run spotbeam (not that they will all be used at 28.2E at all but they have the potential to run more than 16-18).
    Forum Member
    Astra 1N is currently named Object A orbiting 25,000 km x 36,000 km and is located here http://www.n2yo.com/?s=37775 at 4°W.

The other bird is named Object C and appears to be close to its designated orbital location.

Cheers for this link Ray, looks like it's being slowly circularised. It's now at 50E as it is still obviously moving in GTO.
    Forum Member
    M60 wrote: »
    Cheers for this link Ray, looks like it's being slowly circularised. It's now at 50E as it is still obviously moving in GTO.

Looking even better this morning, now seems pretty much in GSO and nearly circularised. I presume they've carried out another burn when, in GTO, it reached the Apogee overnight. It's now at 3.3W with a difference between Apogee and perigee of 240km. Presumably a bit more manouevering and it will be fully circularised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's just hope that if they stick it at 1.8E, one of the inclined orbit satellites doesn't crash into it! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the IO birds are thousands of km away.
    Forum Member
    She's moving eastwards slowly, still in not quite fully circular in orbit but now 0.38E so very close to her testing target of 1.8E.
  • EUROPAEUROPA Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But all are switchable wide or spotbeam so in effect all 52Ku band transponders are potentially able to run spotbeam (not that they will all be used at 28.2E at all but they have the potential to run more than 16-18).
    maybe the BBC wi8ll wake up and offer a europe package and get some of the money going to the mafia on the costas
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will be good to see it up & running at 28 degrees, hopefully for fresat, even if that means i won't be able to watch it in france
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we hope freesat will be transmited pan europe beam
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belson wrote: »

YOU DO that would be good i would be wiling to pay good money for that
  • EUROPAEUROPA Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that just hope,or do you have some info to that effect:confused:
  • TerranusTerranus Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do not request a special UK spot beam for just a few months of interim operation before the satellite moves to its actual home position at 19 east, if they do not intend to use it !
    You can expect that all UK FTA services of Freesat will move to 1N and be broadcast via its spot beam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terranus wrote: »
    They do not request a special UK spot beam for just a few months of interim operation before the satellite moves to its actual home position at 19 east, if they do not intend to use it !
    You can expect that all UK FTA services of Freesat will move to 1N and be broadcast via its spot beam.

thats right you tell us & spoil all our hopes:(
  • mudhutsmudhuts Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Do we know for sure its going to be tested at 1.8E as I can't seem to find any reference to this on the facebook page as was mentioned and it Its currently at 2.26E and still moving east :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ YOu dont want to take too much notice of the tracking sirtes when the satellites are being manoeuvred around - it takes the tracking sites a few days to catch up.

The word came from SES themselves:

https://www.facebook.com/SESASTRA

This thread:

Fantastic flight - great to see 1N safely delivered to orbit :)

Christopher can you see if you can find out at which orbital slot 1N will be tested - it hasnt been mentioned on the broadcast
    07 August at 00:23 ·

Third answer up from the bottom

SES Astra The testing position is 1.8E. Cheers. Christopher.
    12 August at 08:23

Christopher works for SES in Betzdorf and his info has proved accurate over the last few months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not going to happen
    peter05 wrote: »
    YOU DO that would be good i would be wiling to pay good money for that

Dunno what you are worried about Pete - Theres plenty of 1N overspill into France.
    Forum Member
    ^^ YOu dont want to take too much notice of the tracking sirtes when the satellites are being manoeuvred around - it takes the tracking sites a few days to catch up.

So in essence the n2yo site offering 'Real Time Tracking' is only a simulation of it's final orbiting position and not actually 'Real Time' in the true sense of the words?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in essence the n2yo site offering 'Real Time Tracking' is only a simulation of it's final orbiting position and not actually 'Real Time' in the true sense of the words?

No it's realtime alright not a simulation but only gets updated maybe once or twice a day. So if the bird is moving about, with plenty of dV it can be wrong. The general position of 1N or Object A is correct now give or take a few degrees. Maybe they should publish accuracy and tolerance details?

There are possibly better data sources but I quite like n2yo as its simple to use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having said all that the latest data shows Object A at 1.8ºE with an almost circular orbit just 70km between apogee and perigee. Astra 2D has a 30km difference. Let the testing commence!
    Forum Member
    Having said all that the latest data shows Object A at 1.8ºE with an almost circular orbit just 70km between apogee and perigee. Astra 2D has a 30km difference. Let the testing commence!

Cheers for the info Ray, I think n2yo is probably one of the better tracking sites too, just wasn't sure how frequently it was updated?

Noticed when I checked this morning the reduction in distance between perigee and apogee. Ariane said at launch that Astrium would hand the Satellite over to SES after 12 days of orbit circularisation, that will be tomorrow so my guess is to expect testing some point tomorrow or Friday. I guess n2yo will have 1N's orbit even more closely circulated by tomorrow. Astra 3B's is about 26km.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know when they opened the solar panels and how the bird got its batteries recharged before that time.
    Forum Member
    I'd like to know when they opened the solar panels and how the bird got its batteries recharged before that time.

I was wondering the same unless it had sufficient onboard power with it's panels as one or two would still be sun-facing when not deployed?

Analoguesat's the man with the answers, I'm sure he can fill us in. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it look astra 1n near 1,8e but transmited signal yet?