Options

Is it acceptable for judges to be fans of a contestant, or should they be impartial?

VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On ITT, Zoe said the judges were fans of a certain contestant; and at least one of the judges said it themself during the final. That makes me wonder whether they can be judging fairly.

I think many agree that judges shouldn't be fans. Just look at all the complaints that appear when people think someone is the judges' favourite. (The disagreement is more about who, if anyone, the favourite is.)

I'm often sceptical of the idea that the judges have favourites in that sense (rather than just thinking someone is the best dancer because of how they've danced), but it's a different story if the judges are fans of a contestant. That casts real doubt on whether they are sufficiently impartial, imo.

Comments

• Options
    Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The judges should be impartial imo. It annoyed me how much Craig favoured Pixie and undermarked Frankie.

Pixie's latin and ballroom technique was not that great but because she was all jazz hands and pirouettes Craig loved her.
  • Options
    mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are only human and can't help having favourites. The trick is not to show it... like Craig did
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Best comment on here this year, was in last week's semi final discussion thread.

"Simon's up next, so Darcy is hunting for her 12 paddle"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are only human and can't help having favourites. The trick is not to show it... like Craig did

It seems they all probably showed it, for Zoe to tell the contestant the judges were fans.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I suggested many series ago having an extra judge and discounting top and bottom scores. This would help with the DO 'casting vote' controversy too.

Obviously for that system to work properly another judge or two apart from Craig would need to employ their low paddles too (so that it's not Craig's mark dropped every time)...but that's fine with me.
  • Options
    foxyredfoxyred Posts: 15,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only favouritism that I noticed was Craig with Mark and Darcy with Simon... were there any others?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxyred wrote: »
    The only favouritism that I noticed was Craig with Mark and Darcy with Simon... were there any others?

Who did Craig give 10s to?
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Best comment on here this year, was in last week's semi final discussion thread.

"Simon's up next, so Darcy is hunting for her 12 paddle"

so he can spank her with it :D
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick average score work out (if anyone wants to check, feel free cos you know - sums :blush:)

Caroline:
    Craig 8.3
    Darcy 8.8
    Len 8.8
    Bruno 9.1

Frankie:
    Craig 8.1
    Darcy 8.6
    Len 9.0
    Bruno 9.1

Simon:
    Craig 7.4
    Darcy 8.6
    Len 8.5
    Bruno 8.4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    A quick average score work out (if anyone wants to check, feel free cos you know - sums :blush:)

Caroline:
    Craig 8.3
    Darcy 8.8
    Len 8.8
    Bruno 9.1

Frankie:
    Craig 8.1
    Darcy 8.6
    Len 9.0
    Bruno 9.1

Simon:
    Craig 7.4
    Darcy 8.6
    Len 8.5
    Bruno 8.4

It seems that, by that, Craig and Darcey favoured Caroline, Len favoured Frankie, and Bruno couldn't decide between F & C.
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes no difference who the judges like personally, the producers decide how the leaderboard/DO will look and the judges oblige.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the french shows system of two sets of marks would be good for the show (like ice skating technical mark and artistic mark) in case of a tie in do tech mark applies :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    bendymixer wrote: »
    the french shows system of two sets of marks would be good for the show (like ice skating technical mark and artistic mark) in case of a tie in do tech mark applies :)

I'd like to see that adopted. I think they are currently very inconsistent with their scores, sometimes being picky about technique, sometimes being carried away by the performance so the scores end up very random.

But then, it suits the show more to have the ability to manipulate the scoring when it suits them with the current system.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One bad thing is that the points dont correctly evaluate for all positions, as ties are not scored correctly. It may help popular losing contestants stay in longer.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

They will inevitably have favourites. Their marking should be impartial though.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I think the only one who shows incredible bias is Craig - he often marks ridiucuolusly low and out of kilter with the other judges but only to the dancers he doesn't appear to like. Last night there was no way he was going to give Kevin and Frankie a ten and no way he was going to score Caroline anything but tens - it was petulant I feel.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    I think the only one who shows incredible bias is Craig - he often marks ridiucuolusly low and out of kilter with the other judges but only to the dancers he doesn't appear to like. Last night there was no way he was going to give Kevin and Frankie a ten and no way he was going to score Caroline anything but tens - it was petulant I feel.

Craig is used to produce the right total. He distinguishes the 39 from the 40 , and the 35 from the 36. He also stops everyone weak getting 28 every week by opning up 24-28. . I think they think its easier to have one baddie, than to have an anti-judge vote because two people have given someone a (realistically) low mark. Arlene and Craig was overkill. You now have the right order produced - while 3 judges remain looking likeable, and someone whose judgement is more likely to be followed. .
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows of this nature always need a hard man on the judging panel, and Craig fills that role very well. He counterbalances the sometimes over-generous scoring elsewhere. I would favour a simple system whereby an odd number of judges just voted, with the winner decided by a straight majority. The casting vote leaves a bad taste.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a light entertainment show primarily they should entertain.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^

Of course, part of being 'entertaining' is not to wildly insult the viewers' intelligence by conspicuously over-marking or under-marking.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosaer wrote: »
    It makes no difference who the judges like personally, the producers decide how the leaderboard/DO will look and the judges oblige.

As said before, the producers really really don't care who is top/bottom of the leaderboard. ALL they care about is ratings ratings ratings.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »

That would work if there were judges who were able to judge technique, but as it stands, only Len is able to do that.

If they ditched Darcey and brought in someone like Karen Hardy (not that I'm a particular fan of hers!) they could then have Len & Karen judge technique and Craig & Bruno judge performance/artistry.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    ^^

Of course, part of being 'entertaining' is not to wildly insult the viewers' intelligence by conspicuously over-marking or under-marking.

If that is what is happening, it galvanises votes. So it does the job they want it to do.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    They will inevitably have favourites. Their marking should be impartial though.

Exactly.

but no adult over the age of 18 should ever be a "fan"
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    If this were a professional competition, then clearly the Judges would have to be completely impartial - but then again, they would also all have to be qualified in judging Latin and Ballroom.

As it's an Entertainment show, the judges are there to add to the entertainment - after all, we're all supposed to be voting for our favourites, so why should the judges be any different!

Of the final 3 - Craig favoured Caroline and didn't like Frankie, Darcey favoured Simon, Len favoured Frankie and Bruno was just very excited about everyone!

At the end of the day, when it gets to the final the judges don't make any difference at all - they might as well give everyone 10s all the way - as it's down entirely to the viewer vote.