Options

Intel Broadwell is Here !

So Intel officially announced Broadwell processors yesterday, when do you think we might see the first laptops with these chips for sale in the UK?

Some people seem to think it better to wait for Skylake chips!

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it stay where ever it want to stay. i still will nto buy a Intel based machine if i can help it.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadwell, about mid 2016.
    Skylake, about late 2016 maybe

Processors are developed continuously, you can always 'wait' 2 years for something better.

The main gains now are in the Integrated Graphics and power consumption, however what manufacturers do is cut costs by installing lower capacity batteries, less cooling required, thus back to square one.

What users do is download Rubbish and Malware that slows their PC/Laptop to the performance of a year 2000 PC and CPU, so much for a 'latest' processor.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's always best to wait until the next generation of CPUs gets released and then get the fastest i3, i5 or i7 in the previous generation. In other words, if you have a 3rd generation i3, i5 or i7, wait until the last/fastest processor of your choice in the 4th generation gets released and then the first 5th generation gets released before buying the last 4th generation release. The jump in performance by doing this should be quite a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    And it stay where ever it want to stay. i still will nto buy a Intel based machine if i can help it.

What do you have against Intel?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any particular reason?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    What do you have against Intel?
    psionic wrote: »
    Any particular reason?

Because of the dirty tricks they played a few years back to try and force others out. They are a stagecoach of the CPU world.

Thankfully it did not work and we still have a choice, the problem is they are now coming into the mobile market.

Like a screen saver used to say on my Amiga, Intel outside.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What dirty tricks, can you expand on that ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    What dirty tricks, can you expand on that ?

Do a search and you will find out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do a search and you will find out.

Did a search but can't find out what dirty tricks you refer to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did a search but can't find out what dirty tricks you refer to.

you did not look too far then.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/1321-amd-anti-trust-complaint-intel-alleges-worldwide-dirty-tricks-campaign/

and that was just 10 seconds.

and another one
    http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2008/08/04/amd-still-accusing-intel-of-dirty-tricks/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats just business Adrian, nowt to get worked up about, and they do make better CPU's than AMD :)
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like this is one of the first http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/6/7501385/dell-xps-13-2015-edition-announced-at-ces-2015

No word on UK availability though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats just business Adrian, nowt to get worked up about, and they do make better CPU's than AMD :)

No, it is called dirty tricks. Intel chips are better in some way than AMD, but you still pay hefty price for them. AMD APUs are pretty impressive for the price. Intel Iris graphics is not all that special and you still pay a hell of a premium for a Intel based motherboard.

Do any of Intel processors come without built in video now?
    Also, i did read a bit about this new Broadwell and from what I have read it is not really the big upgrade in CPU which it is made out to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to go AMD, but the risk of breaking/snapping one of the pins is what stopped me from building an AMD system (I know, it's just paranoia). I do think one of the reasons why Intel charge more is because of the Intel name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it is called dirty tricks. Intel chips are better in some way than AMD, but you still pay hefty price for them. AMD APUs are pretty impressive for the price. Intel Iris graphics is not all that special and you still pay a hell of a premium for a Intel based motherboard.

Do any of Intel processors come without built in video now?
    Also, i did read a bit about this new Broadwell and from what I have read it is not really the big upgrade in CPU which it is made out to be.

Its still just business and most big business's do similar. AMD make some good CPU's but if you want real performance you need to hand over some extra coins and go the Intel route. You've said in the past you are using an old AMD machine and thats great if it suits your needs, me, I want better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I was going to go AMD, but the risk of breaking/snapping one of the pins is what stopped me from building an AMD system (I know, it's just paranoia). I do think one of the reasons why Intel charge more is because of the Intel name.

Bend the pins? you just need to be careful, i have built and rebuilt many AMD based machines and only once had a problem with bent pins and that was on a K5 and someone had taken it out of a machine and not bother to protect it, a credit card between the pins sorted that out thankfully, but it took a bit of time.

I agree, Intel charge more because people will pay for the name, even if the chip is not that powerful. I know people who have gone for celerons because it is Intel.

I know AMD have some catching up to do if they are looking for the higher end market, but to be honest I do not think they are.
    I have had AMD since my second PC, a 233Mhz machine, my first one was a Cyrix and apart from my laptop I have never paid for a Intel based machine, I have got two other laptops here, intel based and a desktop, they was given to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its still just business and most big business's do similar. AMD make some good CPU's but if you want real performance you need to hand over some extra coins and go the Intel route. You've said in the past you are using an old AMD machine and thats great if it suits your needs, me, I want better.

It will be four years old around the middle of this month, I just had a look on Ebuyer to see when I got the parts, I have updated some things since then, a slightly better video card, a SSD, a decent sound card and more storage. It is not a bad spec.

AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition 125 Watt Socket AM3 3.5GHz
    Asrock 970 extreme 3 motherboard
    8GB of Corsair DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS.
    The video card could be better, a Sapphire radeon HD6570 with 2GB of memory, but I needed a card at the time and that was better than what I had without going mad money wise.
    My latest update, the Hanns-g 27 inch monitor which I got on Saturday.

CPU power is not the issue for me, I need more GPU power for hardware rendering. My CPU is not really used when rendering.
    Once I get back to my normal life, like getting back to work I will think about updating the machine.
    I did think about updating the board, memory, CPU and video card, but to be honest I am having second thoughts on that.
    Maybe just updating the CPU to something like a AMD FX-8350 4GHz if the board can take it, which I am pretty sure it can, a Radeon R7 video board of some sort and update the SSD.

We will see once things get back to normal