Options

Oscars tonight

hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My daughter, who is a self-professed expert :) ( who ever thought that 'film-studies' could earn you a degree ? ! ) says that Avatar is a shoo-in for best film, and that Sandra Bullock is an equal dead cert for best Actress.

Do you agree ? ... and what other predictions are there before the red carpet is trod ...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably right about Sandra, but there seems to be a backlash developing about Avatar, and a lot of the critics are saying The Hurt Locker may get Best Picture. Directed by James Cameron's ex-wife - ouch !
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she's doing film studies she should know that Avatar is by no means a shoo-in. Sandra is a bit of a safer bet though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she's doing film studies she should know that Avatar is by no means a shoo-in. Sandra is a bit of a safer bet though.

Oi ... that's my princess you're dismissing !

Let's wait till tonight shall we ... then we can say who was right or wrong in their predictions

Until then, it's anybody's guess :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'm doing Film Studies too (2nd year) and while i loved Avatar i reckon it will be either The Hurt Locker or Up In The Air that snags it (they would both deserve it too. Excellent films). I also think that Kathryn Bigelow will get Best Director seeing as the Oscars are trying to get high TV ratings this year (as evidenced by the increase to 10 BP noms) and her winning would be fairly special seeing as no woman has ever won Best Director.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If Avatar wins, it will be a joke of an Oscars. I really really want to see a woman win the Best Director Oscar. Fingers crossed.
    who ever thought that 'film-studies' could earn you a degree

I hope that was not a dig at Film Studies as a choice of degree...
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avatar will do well. hurt locker may in did be a good film but im sick of seeing war films about iraq and afghanistan. im sure im not the only one.
  • Options
    Vanilla_SliceVanilla_Slice Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    I watch films. Avatar will win best special effects.
  • Options
    Shane ParrishShane Parrish Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meryl Streep deserves Best Actress
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meryl Streep deserves Best Actress

Isn't she nominated every year?

I thought Carey would win.;..
  • Options
    LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be over the moon if Carey Mulligan won Best Actress and Colin Firth won Best Actor.

Seriously I'd be thrilled lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is safe to say that Waltz, Bridges and Mo'Nique are certs, as is Bigelow for Director. The ones I am still slightly hesitant about are Best Actress and Best Picture, as the last few weeks has seen a slight shift in favour. I still ultimately feel that Bullock and Hurt Locker will triumph.
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the Oscars tonight.

I am expecting The Hurt Locker to win Best Picture, and Up Best Animated Feature. Avatar should win special effects.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    With the new rules aout best film where you give 10 points to your fav , 9 points to your 2nd fav etc, anything could happen.
  • Options
    Vanilla_SliceVanilla_Slice Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Where can I watch the Oscars if I can't sleep tonight.

P.S I don't have Sky or Virgin.
  • Options
    scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where can I watch the Oscars if I can't sleep tonight.

P.S I don't have Sky or Virgin.
    I want to know that too - I gather its on Sky Premier, but I dont have the Sky Movies package so was wanting to know if it'll be available on any other channel? Thanks..:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think The Hurt Locker will win Best Picture, but fingers crossed for Avatar.

I think if another barely seen by the cinema going public film wins the award it will be bad for the Oscars.

Also, it is The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and SCIENCES, so I don't think Avatar can be written off just yet.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it will be on TVU Player or U stream.
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    i would love for up or district 9 to get best picture as i thought avatar was very meh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You dont need to do film studies to like or hate a film. In fact the more intellectual you get about films, the more boI1 ocks you usually talk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Avatar wins, it will be a joke of an Oscars. I really really want to see a woman win the Best Director Oscar. Fingers crossed.

I hope that was not a dig at Film Studies as a choice of degree...

Not at all !

... just that back in my day it wasn't an option for study ( I'd have loved it to have been though :) )
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christophe Waltz must be a "Shoo-in" for best supporting actor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    *paul* wrote: »
    You dont need to do film studies to like or hate a film. In fact the more intellectual you get about films, the more boI1 ocks you usually talk.

I partly agree with you and i say that as someone who is doing FS! Look up the "auteur theory", It's a load of pretentious shite that has been made up by self important directors, and yet my lecturers preach it like its gospel (apart from the Screenwriter Lecturers!).
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are so many Best Pic nominees I'd rather see win than Avatar, but fear it will take the prize. The Hurt Locker is its nearest rival though.

Agree about Bullock, it was a great performance, but then I also loved Streep's and Mulligan's. Think Sandra will take the award.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    (Hello, im new here!)

I think that The Hurt Locker could and should win Best Feature, its far and away the best film i've seen in a looooooooong time. Probably since The Fellowship of the Ring. I have not seen Avatar and neither do i wish to, to me it just sounds like "The Last Samurai" with CGI. Ive only seen Jeremy Renner out of the best Actor nominees, however he was brilliant in the hurt Locker. Im a big fan of George Clooney however. Best supporting actor must, MUST go to Christoph Waltz, the man was evil personified, and imo, i think he created one of the best on screen baddies i've ever seen. I dont want it to seem like im simply in love with Hurt Locker (which i kind of am!), but I would have liked to have seen Anthony Mackie be nominated for Supporting Actor, especially when you consider how far he has come since 8Mile! thats my two cents for now!
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Hello, im new here!)

I think that The Hurt Locker could and should win Best Feature, its far and away the best film i've seen in a looooooooong time. Probably since The Fellowship of the Ring. I have not seen Avatar and neither do i wish to, to me it just sounds like "The Last Samurai" with CGI. Ive only seen Jeremy Renner out of the best Actor nominees, however he was brilliant in the hurt Locker. Im a big fan of George Clooney however. Best supporting actor must, MUST go to Christoph Waltz, the man was evil personified, and imo, i think he created one of the best on screen baddies i've ever seen. I dont want it to seem like im simply in love with Hurt Locker (which i kind of am!), but I would have liked to have seen Anthony Mackie be nominated for Supporting Actor, especially when you consider how far he has come since 8Mile! thats my two cents for now!

Agree completely about Waltz, that was a great performance.

I really wasn't expecting much from Clooney, I'm not a very big fan really, but he was fantastic in Up In the Air, and if he wins it I'd be very happy to see the award go to him (though I suspect Bridges or Firth will win.)