Saturday Kitchen

jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this the same studio they filmed in previous series?
I am not sure if I like the new studio though

Comments

• nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Just switched on - all seems a little awkward at the moment. I'm sure the new set will seem a bit less strange in time, but it's a bit lacking in atmosphere. Certainly the back wall seems a bit too close to the workbench which makes it feel a bit claustrophobic. Oh, and has Olly Smith lost loas of weight?
  • RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The set doesn't work for me. The old one used what is clearly a very small space to much better effect.
    This looks incredibly small. I agree the workbench and the back wall are far too close together and panning up and down it constantly makes me feel slightly sick.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New studio, and they are now finally in HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks too much like 90% of any other cookery programmes on the Good Food channel, that is a bit dated. But I only watch for the food so I don't really care.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    Just switched on - all seems a little awkward at the moment. I'm sure the new set will seem a bit less strange in time, but it's a bit lacking in atmosphere. Certainly the back wall seems a bit too close to the workbench which makes it feel a bit claustrophobic. Oh, and has Olly Smith lost loas of weight?

I think it was commented on the last time he was on the Wright Stuff a few months ago.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hes lost a lot of weight and fake tanned
    I agree about the panning is hurting my eyes now
    Its a shame they havent refreshed the format -we still have the omlette challenge even though we all complain, we still have the Great British Menu which doesnt work as we cant watch a 5min clip and expect to be hooked. They should show The Great British Bake Off and split up the last episode of the series where mary berry and paul hollywood show you how to do each technical challenge properly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark, gloomy and echoes.Terrible camera angles. They changed everything except the boring omelette challenge.
  • hibbychubbshibbychubbs Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    love the table that look like tree trunks with glass on top wish i knew where to get one lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed Keith Floyd.
  • summerwinesummerwine Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to the new set and I have to say I’m quite disappointed. :( I was hoping for something bright and colourful and says ‘good morning!’. I always liked tuning in on a Saturday morning as it was always a bright, cheery atmosphere to start the day with my coffee.

Of all the kitchen designs out there today I can’t believe they came up with something so retro, ordinary, dark and dreary. I really don’t like the brick wall with bars on the fake windows. And there is that blank space behind the cooking centre with just a shelf. The sink is over to the side and it just looks all so disorganised, depressing and like others have said, like any other staged programme. I actually would have been happy if they would have stuck with the old set, it seemed much more welcoming on a Saturday morning.

I’ve also noted that there seems to be a clumsiness in the live programmes that have just come back from summer holidays. It’s like they’ve forgotten what they are supposed to do and seem to trip over their words. It’s a bit funny really. :D

EDIT: I also think they should have put on the British Bake Off as well. I am so tired of hearing about the Olympics now. Not only that but 'ground-breaking' and 'pushing the boundries' being said over and over again drove me crazy when I watched the original showing of the programme, now I have to listen to it all again! ugh! :mad:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Oh, and has Olly Smith lost loas of weight?
    He was on the Hairy Dieters and said that his method was to cut eating and drinking by 2/3 (I think that's what it was).
    Basically he said he didn't change what he ate or drank he just limited the amount.

As for the show, my Sky planner didn't pick up on it being back so I missed it :mad:
    Off to iPlayer I guess.
  • Mr.HumphriesMr.Humphries Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed Keith Floyd.

Television is a poorer place without him.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark, gloomy and echoes.Terrible camera angles. They changed everything except the boring omelette challenge.

Are they still persisting with that stupid omelette business...? you can carry an idea too far for too long, it is silly...I mean, how much faster can someone do an omelette? I think it is an amateurish thing to ask professional chefs to do. They need to change the record. Best cooking show ever was ol' Floyd...the one from back in the 80s' when he travelled around France showing us the real provincial cooking. I think that was his first - Floyd on France - nobody has bettered it yet. On the other end of the scale, Nigella with her eyelash-fluttering and her black satin night robe, she is not about the food she is about selling herself as something she is not - a domestic goddess because we all know she employs a cook, a nanny and staff...makes me want to kick the TV in. Floydy once said the show should be about the food, not the person stirring the pot. I miss him:(
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this show on for 90 minutes?

60 minutes of the show is filler. Take this off the air and put something decent on instead on a Saturday morning. Who wants to watch a bunch of self-important chefs faffing around making foams and emulsions?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this show on for 90 minutes?

60 minutes of the show is filler. Take this off the air and put something decent on instead on a Saturday morning. Who wants to watch a bunch of self-important chefs faffing around making foams and emulsions?

Judging by the threads on this forum, many people other than yourself maybe?

There are other channels available on a Saturday morning of course. ;)
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed how unsanitary and off-putting James Martin's habits are?

I saw him at the Good Food Show once which was the first time I really noticed as I don't watch SK regularly, but this morning there were a number of things he did which made me cringe:
    • wiped lobster poop off the chopping board with a tea towel, threw the tea towel somewhere and then continued chopping other stuff on the board
    • coughed on his hand and immediately touched food (this happened more than once)
    • blew on a dish and then served food onto it
    • repeatedly wiping his dirty hands on his trousers

When I saw him at the GFS he made a big joke of people saying he was dirty. He blew his nose on a tea towel - he definitely touched his nose and mouth with it. He then proceeded to wipe a couple of plates with the tea towel - all the while acting as if it was hugely amusing. He served up the dish on the same two plates and then two 'lucky' people from the audience were called up to taste. I wouldn't eat anything served by him. Nasty.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how unsanitary and off-putting James Martin's habits are?

I saw him at the Good Food Show once which was the first time I really noticed as I don't watch SK regularly, but this morning there were a number of things he did which made me cringe:
    • wiped lobster poop off the chopping board with a tea towel, threw the tea towel somewhere and then continued chopping other stuff on the board
    • coughed on his hand and immediately touched food (this happened more than once)

When I saw him at the GFS he made a big joke of people saying he was dirty. He blew his nose on a tea towel - he definitely touched his nose and mouth with it. He then proceeded to wipe a couple of plates with the tea towel - all the while acting as if it was hugely amusing. He served up the dish on the same two plates and then two 'lucky' people from the audience were called up to taste. I wouldn't eat anything served by him. Nasty.

I noticed him coughing over the dish when he took it to the table this morning. I think it was Glyns dish
  • nwbrfcnwbrfc Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    So glad I am not the only one rolling my eyes at the continued omelette challenge - pointless waste of time.

My other gripe is the total disconnect from reality. The chefs use ingredients most of us can't buy down the supermarket and even if we can, they're not the standard these chefs get e.g. a sea bass fillet from Morrisons is tiny by comparison to the size and thickness the chefs use. I know people will say go to a fishmonger, but not all towns have one - I live in an ex mining town, ain't much call for a fishmonger here.

Saturday Kitchen shows wine being bought at normal supermarkets, why not show the food shopping being done as well? Show us how to cook great food using normal ingredients we can all access.
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »

Martin becomes childish when his mates are on. They get very ladish. He tries to act big and thows things about to be in with the boys.
    Happens regularly when Purnell is on.
    Sometimes in backfires like when Galton Blackiston was asked by Purnell whether his wagu beef was from Japanese cows and he said something like "no, they don't have slanty eyes" :eek:

There was an audible gasp from the celebrity guest.
    Forum Member
    nwbrfc wrote: »
    So glad I am not the only one rolling my eyes at the continued omelette challenge - pointless waste of time.

My other gripe is the total disconnect from reality. The chefs use ingredients most of us can't buy down the supermarket and even if we can, they're not the standard these chefs get e.g. a sea bass fillet from Morrisons is tiny by comparison to the size and thickness the chefs use. I know people will say go to a fishmonger, but not all towns have one - I live in an ex mining town, ain't much call for a fishmonger here.

Saturday Kitchen shows wine being bought at normal supermarkets, why not show the food shopping being done as well? Show us how to cook great food using normal ingredients we can all access.
    I've mentioned it a few times previously. There is a thread called tv food hates where I pretty much made the same point.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1763626
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Not so much the ingredients but was gratified today when having shouted at the tv, "That lambs not cooked," and Oh said "Wouldnt it be funny if Engelber said it was too rare" sure enogh Engelbert said he wouldnt eat the lamb, because he didnt like it, as it wasnt cooked"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it this morning for the first time in ages. One thing that annoys me is James' inability to chat naturally with the celeb guests. I know he's a chef first and foremost, but if they're going to continue to have the section where he cooks while chatting to the guest, he should learn to listen to what they actually say and continue the questioning based on their answers. He obviously has set questions to ask but he sticks to them so rigidly and asks them so unnaturally that they could answer with complete nonsense and it wouldn't matter because he would just ignore and carry on with the next question.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Not so much the ingredients but was gratified today when having shouted at the tv, "That lambs not cooked," and Oh said "Wouldnt it be funny if Engelber said it was too rare" sure enogh Engelbert said he wouldnt eat the lamb, because he didnt like it, as it wasnt cooked"

That was brilliant! I hope that clip ends up on Youtube!

I know a lot of people love undercooked meat, but it always safer to eat it only when it is well done.

I used to really like James Martin's Sat Kitchen program, but he is now on tv so much that even that has become boring. And as mentioned above I hate the omelette challenge - not only has it been done to death, but it's a morally wrong waste of food.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Galton's baby pig on a platter. Shocking!:o
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I used to really like James Martin's Sat Kitchen program, but he is now on tv so much that even that has become boring. And as mentioned above I hate the omelette challenge - not only has it been done to death, but it's a morally wrong waste of food.

The Omelette challenge is stupid, and the ridiculous puns just annoy me. I don't see what's morally wrong about it though, there's plenty of food to go round for everyone.

Regarding the lamb - I don't normally mind my meat a little rare but that was way too undercooked for my liking, he made a total mess of it.