Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    asparagus spears. Do people eat those raw? .

Does asparagus spears, make for smelly farts, if so it might be one to avoid
  • PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 weeks into the diet and exercise regime. I've done pretty well at sticking to 1900 calories a day and exercsing each evening.

So far:

Starting weight - 15 stone
    Week 1 - 14 st 10
    Week 2 - 14 st 7

Half a stone in a little over 2 weeks. :)

Good luck for next week everyone :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weigh in this morning,eek,not done bad I think this week but starting to get choccy in my brain,but if I have lost anything it should keep me on track,if not I know I will get disheartened and over indulge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yey 3llb off since 2nd Jan,
    sw 11st 9
    cw 11st 6
    Onwards we go,good luck this week everyone.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I'm having surprising difficulty working out how many calories are in my standard breakfast of peanut butter on (usually) wholemeal bread toast with margarine.

One slice of wholemeal bread is 109 calories according to the packet. Margarine is 60 calories for a 10g serving, but I don't believe that I'm spreading 10g on a piece of toast. Peanut butter is similarly 63 calories for a 10g serving, and I probably get closer to that. If I assume 5g of margarine and 10g of peanut butter, that would be:

109 + 30 + 63 = 202 calories

Can anyone help me out with the accuracy of this estimation? I'd think that I spread fairly typical amounts of both marg and peanut butter.

Plus a golden delicious apple at 82 calories, and my calorie count for today is 284 already.

Edit: And on a different tack, could people recommend some foods that turn out to be useful. E.g. I've found that Iceland Spicy Beanburgers are 125 calories if baked. I find this makes a useful component of a calorie controlled meal if I combine them with steamed vegetables or something. Any other hints?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having surprising difficulty working out how many calories are in my standard breakfast of peanut butter on (usually) wholemeal bread toast with margarine.

One slice of wholemeal bread is 109 calories according to the packet. Margarine is 60 calories for a 10g serving, but I don't believe that I'm spreading 10g on a piece of toast. Peanut butter is similarly 63 calories for a 10g serving, and I probably get closer to that. If I assume 5g of margarine and 10g of peanut butter, that would be:

Can anyone help me out with the accuracy of this estimation? I'd think that I spread fairly typical amounts of both marg and peanut butter.

Plus a golden delicious apple at 82 calories, and my calorie count for today is 284 already.

Edit: And on a different tack, could people recommend some foods that turn out to be useful. E.g. I've found that Iceland Spicy Beanburgers are 125 calories if baked. I find this makes a useful component of a calorie controlled meal if I combine them with steamed vegetables or something. Any other hints?

I use myfitnesspal for calorie counts all counts are verufied by several people I find it quite accurate. Huge data base of foods too compared to other sites.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I use myfitnesspal for calorie counts all counts are verufied by several people I find it quite accurate. Huge data base of foods too compared to other sites.

Thanks. I've joined that site. I am getting confused though. Myfitnesspal says that I should consume 1870 calories per day. Another site I checked last night said 1500-1600. That's quite a difference. I suppose the bottom line will be to choose a calorie target, stick to it, see what happens over time, and adjust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do loads with passata,its only seived tomatoes so wouldnt have thought there were many calories,i use it as a base for loads of soups,sauces and I slow cook low fat stewing steak or chicken in it.
    Forum Member
    I do loads with passata,its only seived tomatoes so wouldnt have thought there were many calories,i use it as a base for loads of soups,sauces and I slow cook low fat stewing steak or chicken in it.

I have a very bad habit of opening bottles of passata and not getting through them. So I've switched to using tomato puree in a tube. If I'm making relatively low calorie meals which are stewed vegetables etc, then I find adding some tomato paste seems to make it much more like a 'meal' rather than 'vegetables'.

I haven' got anything labelled passata at the moment, but I have a box of Sainsbury's "creamed tomatos" which is surely the same thing. It's 500grams and 24 calories per 100grams. So 120 calories for the whole pack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a very bad habit of opening bottles of passata and not getting through them. So I've switched to using tomato puree in a tube. If I'm making relatively low calorie meals which are stewed vegetables etc, then I find adding some tomato paste seems to make it much more like a 'meal' rather than 'vegetables'.

I haven' got anything labelled passata at the moment, but I have a box of Sainsbury's "creamed tomatos" which is surely the same thing. It's 500grams and 24 calories per 100grams. So 120 calories for the whole pack.
    Oo I have never heard of those,but they seem low enough in calories.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though I think My Fitness Pal is extremely useful, I've come across quite a few calorie counts that haven't been verified by anybody, and I do think they need to be treated with a degree of caution. I remember coming across something (though I've forgotten exactly what it was) where the information was inaccurate, and I think that was provided by just the one user.

In some cases errors may be caused by someone who hasn't read the nutritional information on the pack properly, but it may also be that manufacturers will change the recipe for their product or the pack size. I'm therefore a bit cautious about accepting the MFP calorie counts as being bound to be accurate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I've joined that site. I am getting confused though. Myfitnesspal says that I should consume 1870 calories per day. Another site I checked last night said 1500-1600. That's quite a difference. I suppose the bottom line will be to choose a calorie target, stick to it, see what happens over time, and adjust.
    That does seem quite a high calorie allowance. I believe the factors that MFP takes into account when setting a daily calorie limit are:
    • Your starting weight.
    • Whether you're male or female.
    • Your age.
    • Your level of physical activity (Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active or Very Active).
    • How much of a weekly weight loss you want, the recommended figure being 1 lb per week.
    • The amount of exercise you plan to do.
    Assuming that you've gone for the default weekly weight loss of 1 lb per week, I suppose if you're male, youngish, generally quite physically active and aiming to do more exercise workouts each week, then your calorie allowance will be fairly generous. However, as you say, no doubt a sensible approach is to "see what happens over time, and adjust" if necessary.
    Forum Member
    I'm not youngish, but definitely middle aged. And I'm not as active as I should be. Time to get the bicycle fixed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    roland rat wrote: »
    Does asparagus spears, make for smelly farts, if so it might be one to avoid

Not sure if that's a myth or not. I do like Asparagus and during the English Asparagus season eat quite a lot of it. I don't think it makes my farts smell and certainly haven't noticed any complaints from my wife and friends.
    Forum Member
    I'm not youngish, but definitely middle aged. And I'm not as active as I should be. Time to get the bicycle fixed?

That's on my agenda for this weekend too. Get the bike fixed and start cycling 3 miles to the station everyday. I used to do it all the time but got into a habit of getting the bus or driving. It should also save me quite a bit of money too and because I can park is right next the station, the journey is probably quicker this way.
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    First week done. Not that great, but ok.

Last week - 12 stone 8 ibs

this week - 12 stone 6ibs.
    D

Not that great? Two pound loss is loss is good and also a very gentle and safe was of losing it. Well done I say.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Personally I think that taking vitamins and diet supplements is a complete waste of money unless there's a medical reason you should be doing it. Having a balanced diet should give you all the nutrients etc. your body needs.

My personal trainer basically told me that training is important but diet is the thing that will make the biggest contribution. And don't over estimate how much you burn off at the gym, it's far less than you think. So you can run for 20 mins (for instance) but only burn off the calories in a packet of crisps. It's a long term thing, not a quick fix.

Aim for a slow and steady weight loss if that's your thing. The issue with big 'lose fast' plans is that as soon as you stop them people tend to put the weight back on and sometimes more. Slow and steady makes much more sense.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down 3lbs in my first week. Not too bad as I've done no exercise since Wednesday and I went to the pub for a "few" beers last night.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    That does seem quite a high calorie allowance. I believe the factors that MFP takes into account when setting a daily calorie limit are:
    • Your starting weight.
    • Whether you're male or female.
    • Your age.
    • Your level of physical activity (Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active or Very Active).
    • How much of a weekly weight loss you want, the recommended figure being 1 lb per week.
    • The amount of exercise you plan to do.
    Assuming that you've gone for the default weekly weight loss of 1 lb per week, I suppose if you're male, youngish, generally quite physically active and aiming to do more exercise workouts each week, then your calorie allowance will be fairly generous. However, as you say, no doubt a sensible approach is to "see what happens over time, and adjust" if necessary.

I've taken the calorie allowance as a guide only and consume a lot less, under 1000 calories a day works for me but my allowance would give me 1400.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Personally I think that taking vitamins and diet supplements is a complete waste of money unless there's a medical reason you should be doing it. Having a balanced diet should give you all the nutrients etc. your body needs.

My personal trainer basically told me that training is important but diet is the thing that will make the biggest contribution. And don't over estimate how much you burn off at the gym, it's far less than you think. So you can run for 20 mins (for instance) but only burn off the calories in a packet of crisps. It's a long term thing, not a quick fix.

Aim for a slow and steady weight loss if that's your thing. The issue with big 'lose fast' plans is that as soon as you stop them people tend to put the weight back on and sometimes more. Slow and steady makes much more sense.

I completely agree about the vitamins and minerals. Especially as it is possible to overdose on some of them which is just as bad as not having enough. If you eat healthily, then you should get everything IMHO. Alternatively, just take some vitamin and mineral tablets once a week/month/etc (unless directed by a GP of course).

And I like the slow and steady approach to getting in shape too.

Anyway, really enjoying the thread.

Congratulations to all those who have lost weight. And for those who have slip-ups, I guess we are all human and it is still possible for it to be easy to return to a more sensible way of eating and/or moving your body.

Keep the good work up everyone as I am finding all the success stories on here as motivating :)
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I've taken the calorie allowance as a guide only and consume a lot less, under 1000 calories a day works for me but my allowance would give me 1400.

I agree. My allowance on my fitness pal is 1920 a day! I have been well under this everyday though (except fridays).
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am getting more disheartened with my weight loss plan.

I am 40 but a young 40. I have no kids but my job is a desk job and I work from home. However, I am disciplined and I NEVER snack, I eat pretty healthy but I feel because I don't move around as much as I used to (been doing this job nearly 2 years now) I am just spreading out. I am not overweight though but the thought of getting in a bikini fills me with dread. I am 5'2" and 8st 10lb. I know a lot of people will think that's nothing but I really need to tone up.

I have a gym membership and I go about 4 times a week. But It's been like this for months - nothing is changing, body shape isn't changing, weight isn't changing. What do I actually have to do? I don't eat big portions I just don't understand what I am doing wrong. It's such hard work for nothing!

Plus I am going to Florida mid April - I am desperate to not look a blob :(

Any advice appreciated x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm certainly not going down to anything like under 1000, except maybe on a few rare days when I've taken a lot of exercise and my net intake might come to around that. My calorie allowance on MFP is 1660 (net) per day, and I can lose weight on that — not fast, but at a rate that over a period of several months should get me to the weight I want to reach.

I do try to take a certain amount of exercise each day. Today, for example, I've cycled for 45 minutes and walked for about 30, which has used up around 533 calories. I therefore feel justified in drinking a half bottle of wine this evening and eating a small steak pie (plus lots of vegetables, of course), and I'll still be within my net calorie allowance. On other days I will be a bit more frugal, but this is my mild self-indulgence day!

Some of the posts in this thread do worry me a little, since it seems that some people are finding their weight loss such a struggle and, I fear, may be tempted into fairly cranky or very low calorie diets. I'm having to apply a bit of self-discipline, but I'm really not finding the process all that difficult or painful. Being male does make it easier to lose weight, though, so I suppose I've got a bit of an advantage there! :D

Incidentally, I hate gyms. I walk and I cycle, and when the weather improves and the soil dries out I'll do quite a lot of gardening (yes, that is listed in MFP as a cardiovascular exercise), but I have no intention of going anywhere near a gym!
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting more disheartened with my weight loss plan.

I am 40 but a young 40. I have no kids but my job is a desk job and I work from home. However, I am disciplined and I NEVER snack, I eat pretty healthy but I feel because I don't move around as much as I used to (been doing this job nearly 2 years now) I am just spreading out. I am not overweight though but the thought of getting in a bikini fills me with dread. I am 5'2" and 8st 10lb. I know a lot of people will think that's nothing but I really need to tone up.

I have a gym membership and I go about 4 times a week. But It's been like this for months - nothing is changing, body shape isn't changing, weight isn't changing. What do I actually have to do? I don't eat big portions I just don't understand what I am doing wrong. It's such hard work for nothing!

Plus I am going to Florida mid April - I am desperate to not look a blob :(

Any advice appreciated x

Contrary to popular belief, snacking is not bad, you just need to be wise with what you eat. You should aim to have 5/6 smaller meals a day. If you do that, it means your metabolism is constantly working and burning cals. Something like porridge for brekkie, handful of plain nuts as a mid morning snack then salad and protein for lunch, yogurt for mid arvo snack and then a dinner of lean protein with maybe sweet potato and veg? Should set you on the weight loss path. Also, what exercises are you doing at the gym? Instead of going at a steady pace for half an hour on bike, treadmill etc, mix it up, do bursts of 40 seconds full pelt, 20 seconds moderate, for 10/20 mins and that will burn far more calories. Try and incorporate weight training too. There will be plans on line for high intensity interval training or see if your gym does a free session with a trainer and gets some tips?
    Forum Member
    Contrary to popular belief, snacking is not bad, you just need to be wise with what you eat. You should aim to have 5/6 smaller meals a day. If you do that, it means your metabolism is constantly working and burning cals. Something like porridge for brekkie, handful of plain nuts as a mid morning snack then salad and protein for lunch, yogurt for mid arvo snack and then a dinner of lean protein with maybe sweet potato and veg? Should set you on the weight loss path.

Previously I was snacking a fair bit, and often quite high calorie snacks. Since I've been trying to lose weight I've been eating a fair amount of gherkins as my snacks, sometimes plain, sometimes on ryvita or crackers with sliced tomato.

Today I noticed that the YoYo fruit rollup things claim to have 27cal per rollup. That's not a lot, and a rollup is a small but acceptable snack. I bought a packet, but then didn't eat them. Perhaps I'll have one as dessert. 27cal is less than one ryvita.