Will Captain Jack ever meet the 11th Doctor?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will) but isn't Captain Jack a Stephen Moffat character? The Empty Child?

Would be good to see him with the 11th Doctor and River Song.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so :)

I love Captain Jack, a brilliant character. Would love to see how he'd get on with Eleven.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Or she found it in the back of the TARDIS

Or, as is most likely and the most plausible: they are both from the same period (51st Century?), and I'm pretty sure arms companies are unlikely to make bespoke generic guns...

It's entirely reasonable to believe they have both acquired the same type of gun independantly of each other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedRooster wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will) but isn't Captain Jack a Stephen Moffat character? The Empty Child?

Would be good to see him with the 11th Doctor and River Song.

I believe he may have been an idea from RTD to lead up to the series 1 final, however he gave moffat the permission to write him,

Then again I could be wrong with that.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Big Steve wrote: »
    I believe he may have been an idea from RTD to lead up to the series 1 final, however he gave moffat the permission to write him,

Then again I could be wrong with that.

The character was in the original series breakdown - think that was all RTD's work but not sure if he was actually named as Jack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    RTD created the character "Captain Jack Harkness", but he first appeared in The Empty Child, which was a Moff episode. Originally he was going to be called Jax, I think (or Jakx) :)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Because he hasn't been well in recent years and wasn't up to doing it at the time he'd have been needed for filming. That's why he doesn't get involved in much of the action in his SJA story, and why Mike Yates and not the Brig appears in the recent Tom Baker audios. The man is eighty and has had a stroke, he's in good shape for his age but a hectic filming schedule like that would be strenuous for someone twenty years younger!
    That's debatable. Do you know how old Lis Sladen is? Considering that she first played Sarah Jane in 1973 - 37 years ago? She's 62!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    That's debatable. Do you know how old Lis Sladen is? Considering that she first played Sarah Jane in 1973 - 37 years ago? She's 62!

I would have been happy for The Brig to do what Hartnell did in The Three Doctor's. Sit there and advise, or just be a consultant. No-one expects him to be like he was in the 70's anymore, just sitting there and talking would do me!!!!! :)
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be making this up, but didn't Courtney say that if he does return to Doctor Who for TV, he would like his character to be killed off?

This is why I would have loved the Brig to have met the Tenth Doctor. Tennant would have seen him when he was wee and the emotion that would come from seeing this old friend die could be more easily seen/provided.

Not that Matt Smith wouldn't be able to carry it off, but it would be great if he was provided with DVDs of some of the best Doc/Brigadier stories so he could analyse the characters' relationship. The Invasion, Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Zygons would be a good selection. (One from each Doctor...my god, he's a busy man, he probably wouldn't have time for even three!)
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be making this up, but didn't Courtney say that if he does return to Doctor Who for TV, he would like his character to be killed off?

Not as far as I can recall. He was asked if he'd be OK with them killing him off in Battlefield in 1989 and was fine with it, but since they changed their minds on that he's been equally happy to revisit the role on numerous occasions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just have to say I like the idea of the Brig being happily retired. It doesn't happen often in Who, so lets keep one, aye?
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OI!

I'm from 1973, and it's only 36 years ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    korbany wrote: »
    Or Amy's reaction to Jack hitting on Rory and ignoring her ;)

LOL very true - and possible!
    Nevermind those two; Captain Jack and River Song anyone? :cool:

now that could be bloody brillant!! with as much of a flirt as she is...and him being him...
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    Now that would be funny if they turned out to be ex-lovers :D

can almost picture the meeting up again scene in my head! think for just a moment and you can probably picture the look Matt would have on his face! :) (hope someone is reading this thread and taking notes...Mr Moffit!)
    Big Steve wrote: »
    That would never happen, does our captain actually have a type or does he go for anything with a heartbeat?

not terribly sure it has to have a heartbeat...River mentioned being with a Rory type robot with changeable heads after all ;)
    Tumpy wrote: »
    No prizes for guessing my view. Captain Jack back - yeah and I'd love to see him and River but you know you just want him to say hello to Amy or Rory and for the Doctor to say 'stop it!'

I would want him to say something very different but still mean the same thing. if he said "Stop it" I'd hear DT in my head for sure!
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    alphonsus wrote: »
    OI!

I'm from 1973, and it's only 36 years ago!
    Do the maths... it's not 2009 now.;)
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the maths... it's not 2009 now.;)

I'm still 36.

For another 3 weeks :(:(:(
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see CJ and RS together...assuming they don't turn out to be related in some way, since they're both SM creations...meanwhile, I'm jolly chuffed to hear that there are some aspects of so-called "Classic" Doctor Who that are an anathema to even the most fervent of RTD haters and that even though they included original (proper) actors they don't quite cut it as canon the way that the audio books and novels do :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see CJ and RS together...assuming they don't turn out to be related in some way, since they're both SM creations...meanwhile, I'm jolly chuffed to hear that there are some aspects of so-called "Classic" Doctor Who that are an anathema to even the most fervent of RTD haters and that even though they included original (proper) actors they don't quite cut it as canon the way that the audio books and novels do :D

Not. Audio. books.
    An audiobook is a book being read out. Big Finish audios are actual radio plays. There is a big difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not. Audio. books.
    An audiobook is a book being read out. Big Finish audios are actual radio plays. There is a big difference.

No, sweetheart, the big difference is that you cannot allow anyone to exist without correcting them for some reason or other...Big Finish Audios are not "Radio Plays" because they were neither written for nor premiered on Radio...they are, in fact, Audio Plays...or Audio Books for those who can actually be bothered to quibble about the difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, sweetheart, the big difference is that you cannot allow anyone to exist without correcting them for some reason or other...Big Finish Audios are not "Radio Plays" because they were neither written for nor premiered on Radio...they are, in fact, Audio Plays...or Audio Books for those who can actually be bothered to quibble about the difference.

An audio play is not an audio book. An audio book is not a full cast audio play. If I allowed that to pass I would be allowing those unfortunate enough not to have heard the audios to get completely the wrong impression.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An audio play is not an audio book. An audio book is not a full cast audio play. If I allowed that to pass I would be allowing those unfortunate enough not to have heard the audios to get completely the wrong impression.

I forgot that your raison d'etre is to ensure that the world is a better place for listening to your knowledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot that your raison d'etre is to ensure that the world is a better place for listening to your knowledge.
    Exactitude is its own reward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactitude is its own reward.

And loneliness is no excuse for boring others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And loneliness is no excuse for boring others.

Loneliness means craving the company of others. When the majority are far less engaging company than oneself, this is not a likely scenario. And boredom is something that happens only to those of limited imagination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loneliness means craving the company of others. When the majority are far less engaging company than oneself, this is not a likely scenario. And boredom is something that happens only to those of limited imagination.

Speaking as someone who has been driven through Shotley in Suffolk, "limited imagination" is certainly a phrase that springs to mind in terms of finding a place to live...the assumed superior voice, unlike your normal posts, suggests you have been watching "Sherlock" and presume yourself to be akin to the aponymous hero...if you didn't crave the company of others, you would not be alone, typing into your keyboard at 2am in the morning in order to acquire a response from somewhere, anywhere...

...I'm still uncertain as to your views on Capt. Jack (as opposed to Capt. Shoegazer, obviously) owing to the fact that he was created by SM (your God) but during the RTD (your Satan) era and since Torchwood is going to be partly filmed in the US (your most hated of countries) and since Capt. Jack is omnisexual (and you hate any kind of sexuality or emotional attachment in your TV diet)...what would you think about SM writing a meeting between Capt. Jack and the Eleventh Doctor?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the two characters would necessarily work well together. It just seems like an odd fit, to me.