Why do most people on here dislike Cilla so much?

Comments

• Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    There are so many reports that she is awful when meeting up with the public. I dislike her tendancy to go on telly and tell us all about her various holiday homes in Portugal and the Bahamas and how successful she is and how much money she has when the rest of us are trying desperately to keep our homes and she seems totally unsympathetic and quite ignorant about how a lot of people are struggling. I find the extremely THICK Liverpool accent hard to believe after living so long in London. If she adores Liverpool why does she not live there!!!
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Scousers hate her, she had a row in the local evening paper a few years ago with Ricky Tomlinson [Ricky was born in Blackpool, but has lived in Liverpool for most of his life] over who was a proper Scouser, & most of the comments in the Letters section suported Ricky. Cilla's just a profesional Scouser[& quite loathsome by acounts], i'd doubt she'd give £1million to Alder Hey Children's Hospital donation like Ricky has done.

Indeed, go Ricky. MANY years ago a friend of mine worked for Brian Epstein Enterprises in London, she was a young secretary and was fortunate to meet all of Epstein's famous act. She had nothing bad to say about Cilla, in fact she said she was always friendly and helpful. I myself queued behind her for the toilet in a theatre and she was friendly enough with those who recognised her. But this was many years ago and we all change. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt but there is no need for that stupid accent, jeez people in Liverpool do not say fur hur .... :eek:
  • Rachel2006Rachel2006 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard that she can be a very unpleasant lady to work with and to her fans. think the reputation is very much deserved.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Leafing through the Sunday papers I noticed that after her triumphs at the London Palladium and elsewhere over the years Cilla is this year appearing in panto in.....Aylesbury:eek:

Well she only lives down the road from there I think:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I find the extremely THICK Liverpool accent hard to believe after living so long in London.

That's one thing I slightly defend her on, given that Lulu left Glasgow at about 15 to live in London. 45 years later she still gets some flak now and again for not sounding Glasgow enough even though she spent about just 1/4 of her life there. By keeping her Liverpool accent Cilla sometimes get stick too so its a double edged sword. I do think however she does try to hard to retain the Scouse accent and pronounces words in ways Scousers wouldn't as has been said "hur" for "hair" ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Leafing through the Sunday papers I noticed that after her triumphs at the London Palladium and elsewhere over the years Cilla is this year appearing in panto in.....Aylesbury:eek:

That's my local theatre! :eek::o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By keeping her Liverpool accent Cilla sometimes get stick too so its a double edged sword. I do think however she does try to hard to retain the Scouse accent and pronounces words in ways Scousers wouldn't as has been said "hur" for "hair" ;)

She's Berkshire's greatest scouser. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like the insincere, deluded, thatcher-loving old hag.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    She did couple of good singles IMO 'Alfie' and 'If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Miind'
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of reports about her being a nasty piece of work.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember years ago she was telling what she thought were funny wee stories about her past in showbusiness and said her and Bobby her late hubby were speeding along the motorway and a car pulled up beside her pointing to the door.. she told her hubby to ignore the man as he was a fan and probably wanted her autograph.. but the man in the car insisited on telling her something .. but she still kept telling her hubby to get away from him.. as he was being a pest... it turned out her mink coat was trapped in the door and dangling out on to the road... She is a shrewd business woman who couldnt sing and has been very lucky in her career.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's one thing I slightly defend her on, given that Lulu left Glasgow at about 15 to live in London. 45 years later she still gets some flak now and again for not sounding Glasgow enough even though she spent about just 1/4 of her life there. By keeping her Liverpool accent Cilla sometimes get stick too so its a double edged sword. I do think however she does try to hard to retain the Scouse accent and pronounces words in ways Scousers wouldn't as has been said "hur" for "hair" ;)
    As soon as Lulu crosses the border she reverts back to Eastend Glasgow slang. so dont let her living in London for years fool you.. but at least she can sing well..
  • azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    My brother in law worked for British Airways for nearly 30 years and he said in all that time she is the worst person to ever have on board.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member

but cilla hasnt got a 'thick' liverpool accent. she only sounds scouse to people in other parts of the country - i'm a scouser and i'd say she just about sounds as tho she's from the north west
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Yes, it very much is true. There are exceptions, but women are incredibly bitchy and catty about each other in general.

There is definitely an element of that. In general though, women just feel the need to put other women down in order to make themselves feel better. I've seen it many times in real life. Men do the same thing, but not to the same extent. I'm a woman btw.

Well, as a woman, all I can say is I absolutely despise bitchiness, and think that jealousy (male or female) is sad and utterly pointless. I always have and always will.

As for Cilla, I'm a Scouser myself and loved her when I was little. I have rarely heard anyone say anything nice about her after meeting her IRL, so can't help wondering how nice she really is. They mall all be talking nonsense for all I know, but there seem to be an awful lot of them.
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    As soon as Lulu crosses the border she reverts back to Eastend Glasgow slang. so dont let her living in London for years fool you.. but at least she can sing well..
    I agree on that in terms of singing ability Lulu >> Cilla IMO. I'm from Glasgow myself, so agree totally also that as soon as Lulu is asked about her childhood or background, she can turn the accent into total Glasgow - and usually in a joking way.

I always cut Lulu some slack though, as she doesn't force the Glasgow accent 100% just for the sake of it. I think if you move from say, Glasgow to London at 15 and mix with not many Glasgow people, by even 20 you might talk a bit different (Lulu was among the Beatles/Stones/London music scene by 17/18 - lucky her!!)

When Lulu was about 19/20 she had a big BBC show in 1967/1968. Back then people were still more London based TV-wise. Coronation Street was a big deal just a few years earlier as people were not talking BBC Queens English. She probably had to tone down the accent even at 19 or so to be mainstream. The voice may change but the roots don't and Lulu has at least written and sung some songs in the last 10/15 years about her background (I.e Where The Poor Boys Dance).

Cilla though has forced herself into keeping the Liverpool accent for effect I think, even after decades away from Liverpool - so forced to the point that it doesn't even sound like a Scouser anymore! (Some Liverpool posters might agree?)

So what's better? I think Lulu's more honest in that she hasn't always been around Glaswegians in 45 odd years and sounds like she hasn't. Cilla tries too hard to stay Scouse. She gets flak for it. If she didn't sound a bit Scouse though she'd likely get flak too, so it's a weird one on what to expect from her.

Accent issues aside though, if you're a bitch to people, you're a bitch. Having never met her, I couldn't comment....

As said earlier, Cilla as a singer? I will say "If I Thought Yould Ever Change Your Mind" is very good. She did have a few very good singing moments.
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    but cilla hasnt got a 'thick' liverpool accent. she only sounds scouse to people in other parts of the country - i'm a scouser and i'd say she just about sounds as tho she's from the north west
    Yes I agree totally :) She tries too hard and people know it's false. Lulu is from Glasgow and hasn't lived there in 45 years or so but gets flak for not sounding Glasgow. So what's the best thing to do? As I said above, I think Lulu's a bit more honest despite the flak she gets. Cilla tries too hard to be Scouse, to the point it's too false. Too false not just to you Scousers, but to everyone ;)
    Forum Member
    She's Berkshire's greatest scouser. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like the insincere, deluded, thatcher-loving old hag.
    Well yes, this is another issue. From Glasgow myself, I feel Glasgow and Liverpool are very close in some respects (and having been to Liverpool a few times, it's a great city of similar people IMO.) Cilla's support for Thatcher in the 1980s? That went down like a lead balloon, I bet. She had left Liverpool and was doing great in the 1980s. Lots in Liverpool were not - to put it mildly. How can you expect people in Liverpool especially to stay warm to her, when she is in such a different wealth and social status than her old school friends would have been.

I compared Cilla's feeling among Liverpool people to Lulu's reaction among Glasgow people in an earlier post. I am sure I remember Lulu backing Thatcher too? Shows how their respective positions changed down the years by the time the 80s came round! ;)
  • Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, this is another issue. From Glasgow myself, I feel Glasgow and Liverpool are very close in some respects (and having been to Liverpool a few times, it's a great city of similar people IMO.) Cilla's support for Thatcher in the 1980s? That went down like a lead balloon, I bet. She had left Liverpool and was doing great in the 1980s. Lots in Liverpool were not - to put it mildly. How can you expect people in Liverpool especially to stay warm to her, when she is in such a different wealth and social status than her old school friends would have been.

I compared Cilla's feeling among Liverpool people to Lulu's reaction among Glasgow people in an earlier post. I am sure I remember Lulu backing Thatcher too? Shows how their respective positions changed down the years by the time the 80s came round! ;)

Spot on there. I think Liverpudlians bond best with people from Glasgow, Dublin and Newcastle;)

As for Cilla, believe me the accent is put on. She speaks with a rather posh accent in reality. Not a nice person from what I've heard and hated in Liverpool, even by the local media who are usually supportive of anyone from the city who's done well for themselves.

The fact that local hero Ricky Tomlinson slagged her off only made things worse for her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    I have rarely heard anyone say anything nice about her after meeting her IRL, so can't help wondering how nice she really is. They mall all be talking nonsense for all I know, but there seem to be an awful lot of them.
    What's that Tom Baker says about the world being round? "That'd be controversial. The rest of the world says it is, I says it isn't"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her accent was awful during the Blind Date/Surprise Surprise era - so put on! I will say it is slightly more authentic in recent years, which I assume must be since she has been spending so much time with Paul O'Grady.

I know people who have met her, and she has been very brisque and unfriendly, quite dismissive of her fans. I think this is what irritates most scousers...the fakeness and the 'ideas above her station' attitude she has.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    People on here dislike everybody.

Except Dannii.
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cilla Black, the woman that said if Labour got into power sh'ed leave the UK. she's still here

Cilla Black has something in common with being a National Treasure.........both should be buried!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Yes, it very much is true. There are exceptions, but women are incredibly bitchy and catty about each other in general.

In general though, women just feel the need to put other women down in order to make themselves feel better. I've seen it many times in real life. Men do the same thing, but not to the same extent. I'm a woman btw.

I'm sorry, but I really take issue with statements like this! Women are individuals and how dare you lump one section of society together in a negative way like that?? Would you say 'in general gay men are bitchy', or 'In general Chinese/disabled/Muslim' etc. etc. people are bitchy?? No you wouldn't dare and rightly so, yet you think it is ok to attack WOMEN like that?? Well let me tell you not ONE of my girlfriends is jealous or bitchy, and in fact go out of their way to empower other women and improve their esteem and confidence. As women, I think we should support each other and not buy into discrimination.
  • HilboHilbo Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Leave Berkshire out of it, she lives in Denham, Bucks. lol:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interview with the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/dec/21/cilla-black-entertainer

Has fame brought any difficulties?

No. You know what I can't stand about famous people? That they complain, when notoriety is what they've worked for. If you're not in the mood for signing autographs or making conversation with taxi drivers, then don't go out.

Talk about 2 faced!