Options

Shakespears Sister - The Duo behind "Stay"

Comments

• Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay is a great song.

I'm in a VERY musical mood tonight... so no hate.

All you need is love! Love is all you need.

Peace.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Stay is a great song.

I'm in a VERY musical mood tonight... so no hate.

All you need is love! Love is all you need.

Peace.

Have you checked out their other work? It's well worth a try if you like Stay. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread ignited my interest to read all about them. I think the chance of a re-union of Fahey/Detroit is virtually zilch. It's like Fahey never wanted Detroit as an equal partner. Their animosity is demonstrated brutally clearly in the I Don't Care video.

According to Detroit, Fahey didn't want Stay released as a single - coincidentally the song with Detroit's biggest contribution.

Apparently the belatedly released #3 album which was originally shelved after I Can Drive only made no. 30 is an absolute classic. Anyone else got it?
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will look into some more of their work when I get home! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    This thread ignited my interest to read all about them. I think the chance of a re-union of Fahey/Detroit is virtually zilch. It's like Fahey never wanted Detroit as an equal partner. Their animosity is demonstrated brutally clearly in the I Don't Care video.

According to Detroit, Fahey didn't want Stay released as a single - coincidentally the song with Detroit's biggest contribution.

Apparently the belatedly released #3 album which was originally shelved after I Can Drive only made no. 30 is an absolute classic. Anyone else got it?

I knew they didn't like each other but I had no clue it was as bad as that. Rather sad, really.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I think Marcy did start off/was meant to be a backing singer/ co-writer like with Eric Clapton etc - but her large part in SS breakthrough song "You're History" made them seem like a duo. I think it snowballed and Hormonally Yours featured Marcy on the cover and Stay's HUGE success kind of confirmed it in everyone's eyes except Siobhan.
    SS was very much Siobhan's alter ego (or that's how I saw it at the start) - and even I was convinced they were a duo by 1991. I guess Siobhan wanted to take back control and restore her vision....a shame everyone saw it as "a split" and #3 sadly was never released until a few years back.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On top of which, it was by far their biggest hit (was even big in the US), so it must have rankled... and apparently Fahey absolutely hated French & Saunders' spoof, with Dawn as Fahey with a foghorn as a voice...

And I absolutely loved Marcella's solo single "I Believe", I can't, er, believe it wasn't a bigger hit...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I love Shakespeares Sister - I have all the cds - the first two are great but I wasn't keen on 3. Loved all the recent stuff. Hormonally Yours is by far my fave - the mix of the two voices was amazing. The Trouble With Andre is my fave track. The amazing thing is the album doesn't even sound dated!
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Siobhan Fahey is a huge Prog Rock fan...

Just saying. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I think Marcy did start off/was meant to be a backing singer/ co-writer like with Eric Clapton etc - but her large part in SS breakthrough song "You're History" made them seem like a duo. I think it snowballed and Hormonally Yours featured Marcy on the cover and Stay's HUGE success kind of confirmed it in everyone's eyes except Siobhan.
    SS was very much Siobhan's alter ego (or that's how I saw it at the start) - and even I was convinced they were a duo by 1991. I guess Siobhan wanted to take back control and restore her vision....a shame everyone saw it as "a split" and #3 sadly was never released until a few years back.

That's really interesting.

I wish Marcy would perform as a soloist in the UK. I'd pay good money to see her live.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First album I was ever bought, along with Michael Jacksons Dangerous. I always remember as an 7 year old chuckling away because she had SEX written on her jumper on the album cover.
  • Options
    MarshallFishMarshallFish Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    That's really interesting.

I wish Marcy would perform as a soloist in the UK. I'd pay good money to see her live.

BTW, her real name is Marcy Levy. And yes, you can definitely hear her singing with EC on "Lay Down Sally".

My article on some collectible Now Music CD's:
    http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/A-look-at-some-Now-Thats-What-I-Call-Music-releases
  • Options
    max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to Shakespears Sister a lot lately. What a fascinating duo with great music. Obviously I knew 'Stay' but I agree that the 'Hormonally Yours' album is fantastic. I particularly love 'Moonchild'.

I also really like Marcella's solo work from what I've heard of it. Her vocals are amazing and work so well with Siobhan's. Ironically they weren't that successful as solo acts, but together was where the magic happened. I guess it was a small moment in time that allowed such magic to happen!

I have noticed online (well on YouTube videos) that peopel fall into two camps: Team Marcella and Team Siobhan. Quite interesting!

(I also love in 'Black Sky' when Marcella goes OFF with those high vocals. Amazing)
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe, in peace and harrrr-mon-eeeeee
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Stay make sense if you hadnt seen the video? its a great song, but it really needs the video appreciate what its about.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved Shakespear's Sister. I love Siobhan's and Marcella's solo work too. Both great artists and I agree, they were particularly great together. They were so different but their voices blended together perfectly. Shame they didn't get on. I remember the first time I heard You're History I was stunned by Marcella's voice. What a range.
  • Options
    woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 16 when hormonally yours came out and I played it to death'! I was fascinated by the two ladies , I loved their videos. Favorite track is black sky.
    At the time , I decided to get sacred heart ,their first album but it was ok , not as good as hy.
    After Marcella left though I lost interest.
    Still, Hy reminds me of my teenage years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I prefer Marcella's solo work to Siobhan's solo work so far (I am sort of working my way through it atm). I have only heard Marcella's 'Jewel' album and #3 by SS (which is just Siobhan).

I do love them both though, intriguing characters!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cf80cf80 Posts: 180
    Forum Member

It’s alright, nowhere near as good as ‘Hormonally Yours’ though.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of it years before it was finally released. A friend used to work at London Records, hated it and before he left he nicked a copy of the album from the vaults *lol*

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite interesting how both Siobhan and Marcella's points are quite valid but ultimately what cut the "peak" of SS short.

Marcella was a backing vocalist but was drafted in more and more to the point she was considered a band member- a duo with Siobhan. Siobhan later said she "parted ways" with Marcella because Ms Detroit wanted more limelight and more "creative control".

So you can understand it from both sides really- Marcella who clearly looked like she was an equal to Siobhan as an official duo wanted more say, whilst Siobhan wanted to have more control on her own project and idea.

I still hope they'll reunite for a tour or something. Siobhan was adamant she'd never return to Bananarama (as of 2010) and look what happened lol. Plus Marcy did say she wouldn't "rule out" working with Siobhan again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This thread is great, and has made me go back and dig out my old Shakespear's Sister stuff. Just remembering that the US version of 'Hormonally Yours' has different versions of some of the album tracks!!! I wonder what happened with the planned re-issue? Of all their albums, this was easily their most successful and deserves a 'Special Edition' release. Someone else said it earlier here, but I had forgotten how much I love 'The Trouble with Andre'....great track.

I can't ever see them getting back together unfortunately :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cf80 wrote: »
    This thread is great, and has made me go back and dig out my old Shakespear's Sister stuff. Just remembering that the US version of 'Hormonally Yours' has different versions of some of the album tracks!!! I wonder what happened with the planned re-issue? Of all their albums, this was easily their most successful and deserves a 'Special Edition' release. Someone else said it earlier here, but I had forgotten how much I love 'The Trouble with Andre'....great track.

I can't ever see them getting back together unfortunately :(

I'm going to check that out now!

The version I have (I assume) is the UK version. The only change I noticed is on the album, 'Hello (Turn Your Radio On)' doesn't have the drums on the chorus, like the iTunes one has. (I actually prefer it WITH the drums).

I'm investigating
  • Options
    Heanor_Man31Heanor_Man31 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could've sworn I once read (not sure if it was Marcella or Siobhan) that they likened 'Stay' to an Albatross around their necks.

I do like 'I Don't Care' and 'You're History' too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 02/03/18 - 14:01 #51
    I'm going to check that out now!

The version I have (I assume) is the UK version. The only change I noticed is on the album, 'Hello (Turn Your Radio On)' doesn't have the drums on the chorus, like the iTunes one has. (I actually prefer it WITH the drums).

I'm investigating

It definitely is different...I have both.

So, it is all a bit confusing:

In terms of the UK release, the initial pressing had the 'Album/LP versions' of "Goodbye Cruel World", "I Don't Care", "Stay" and "Hello (Turn Your Radio On)". Subsequent pressings added the Single versions of each of these (except for Stay), while retaining the same catalogue number as the first pressing. You can only really work the versions out by the track lengths. While the single versions are noticeably different for GCW, IDC and HTYRO, the difference is minimal for 'Stay' with there being a clicking sound at the start of the second verse on the 'Radio/Single Mix'.

As regards differences on the UK vs US pressings, on the US version you have the following:

* Album versions used for Goodbye Cruel World, I Don't Care, Stay and Hello (Turn Your Radio On)
    * Are We In Love Yet is a different mix
    * Black Sky and The Trouble With Andre don't segue into each other, and The Trouble With Andre fades out, rather than having a cold end
    * Let Me Entertain You is longer