Options

I notice more women read books than men

Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
Forum Member
On my daily travels on London Tube. I notice more women reading books. While men just don their massive oversized headphones nodding away looking like chimpanzees.

Is this a sign of times that women are now more well read and intellectual and men just getting dumber?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is to say that men are not avid readers in private? Your experiences of the London Tube are hardly representative of the whole country.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've got more spare time probably, after doing the ironing, washing up, etc.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my daily travels on London Tube. I notice more women reading books. While men just don their massive oversized headphones nodding away looking like chimpanzees.

Is this a sign of times that women are now more well read and intellectual and men just getting dumber?

Yes. Yes that's exactly what it all means.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    50 Shades of Grey has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure the type of books being consumed would necessarily sit well with charges of being 'well read and intellectual'...;)
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    50 Shades of Grey has a lot to answer for.

And Twilight :mad:
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Were men the readers previously then?
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, but it is a sign that you should maybe think about not staring at people on trains. :p
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Twilight? I prefer Jack Kilborn myself.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A lot of men might read their books at home. I'd guess that the books that a lot of women read on transport are fictional.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of my book-reading friends with whom I swap books are female, but my wife doesn't read at all (except for the 7 Harry Potter books which she read avidly as soon as they came out). I used to have my head in a book all the time but recently I've been writing so I've read far less.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen men reading on chairs in libraries but not on trains.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe guys of a certain age think reading is dumb or "gay " or whatever maybe I dunno . But I know men who read of all ages.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always reading I've nearly got through The Very Hungry Caterpillar this week.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that incredibly offensive, I'm male and I read heaps and heaps, I love it, have done ever since I was a child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love reading it's like an obsession to always have a book on the go.

Although my dad has stacks and stacks of books and could out-read me anytime in a competition (if such a thing existed). Mostly, I reckon some men wait for the right peace n quiet to read and good on em.