Options

The Great Train Robbery - BBC1 - 18th December

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I heard there's to be a minute's silence at all robberies this weekend as a mark of respect. ^_^
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I will reserve judgement until I have actually seen the programme. Hopefully it will show how violent they were, pity they can't name the people who were never caught that would really boost the viewing figures - at least one famous name often crops up.

Any chance of a clue?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    They'll probably pull it. It could be seen as sympathetic to him. And even though he was a criminal his family aren't and it would be upsetting for them to watch.

Upsetting for them to watch? Then they have a simple solution - don't watch it.

Personally, I won't be watching it because I've seen so many other versions, and also, long ago, read a couple of books about it.

I'm sure if any new revelations come from the programme, they'll be in the papers tomorrow.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Re: today's news - will they pull it?

K

Why would they do that ?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't intend to watch this drama but I don't believe in replacing a scheduled drama with something else just because a relevant participant dies.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable that Ronnie Biggs died on the day this drama is due to be broadcast. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when the film about Nelson Mandela was premiered. Spooky.
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 27 November 1962 and they have two A suffix-reg cars. Now that's a blooper as A reg didn't start until 1963.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, enough flaming music
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That singer was Eliza Doolittle, lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what I found absolutely disguisting was when I saw the news that Biggs had died on the DS main Page there were plenty of idiots on the facebook part says really nasty comments probably which none of them were probably even alive when Biggs did the crime.

Yes what the brothers did was criminal but what people are saying is just as bad. Probably kids saying all the messages anyway cos kids have a tendency to mouth off all they want but if you challenge them they act all quiet in person.
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what I found absolutely disguisting was when I saw the news that Biggs had died on the DS main Page there were plenty of idiots on the facebook part says really nasty comments probably which none of them were probably even alive when Biggs did the crime.

Yes what the brothers did was criminal but what people are saying is just as bad. Probably kids saying all the messages anyway cos kids have a tendency to mouth off all they want but if you challenge them they act all quiet in person.

Are you for real?
  • Options
    steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I'm not watching as I've seen several versions before but from the clips I thought Jim Broadbent was rehashing his role as Slater from Only Fools & Horses!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Have you not seen the comments then? Honestly the stuff people have posted on there is just plain disguisting!

Im sure they wouldnt like it if they had it done to them.
  • Options
    don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Anorak warning!! The robbery took place near Cheddington on the West Coast main line which has always been four tracked. They have shown a two tracked location while sussing the signaling. Shock horror!
  • Options
    GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The caption just said 6th August, but the trees are all bare with frost on the ground.
  • Options
    YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah the joys of sky television...the weathers just knocked my sky reception out. Annoying! missing the ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    the Series III FFR Land Rover fitted with a 70's/80's Radio kit made me laugh.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Nothing will better Mrs Biggs, although of course, that was primarily about her and not the actual robbery.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plan was pretty sound but the trouble was they were petty criminals and not used to something that big.
    Their carelessness is what ultimately did for them.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GaryB wrote: »
    The caption just said 6th August, but the trees are all bare with frost on the ground.

yes that was a terrible oversight
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    Had that not been a true story that would have made a great drama.

Bloody vermin, the lot of them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Yep, totally wrong Land Rover, that's just a really bad basic mistake. Also, shock, horror, the time pips towards the end had a long pip at the end. This didn't start being broadcast until 1971.
    I'm sure that must be more than just three mistakes ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GaryB wrote: »

I was just about to comment on that.