LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 28)

Comments

• thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    I've always wondered why callers ring in when they're going to disagree with J O'B. Could these callers have masochistic tendencies? :o
    If they do, I think you could apply the same logic to those who profess to dislike JOB but appear unable to stop themselves listening to his show.
  • sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thewilson wrote: »
    If they do, I think you could apply the same logic to those who profess to dislike JOB but appear unable to stop themselves listening to his show.

Because he doesn't act badly all the time, James is very good on topics where he doesn't have an entrenched viewpoint.
  • thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    Because he doesn't act badly all the time, James is very good on topics where he doesn't have an entrenched viewpoint.

If having an entrenched viewpoint equals acting badly, then I think LBC presenters in general are guilty of bad behaviour with some perhaps even guiltier than JOB.
    IMO it is more to do with the subjects about which he has certain views than his entrenchment regarding them that some find so upsetting.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the caller who agreed with James and then said it's made him want to vote UKIP. :D

I bet James O'Brien was so rattled and upset by that he forgot to use his usual tactic of cutting the person off!
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

Hope I don't stand as one of the 'accused'?! TBF - and have always said - I use the 'clicky off' switch when James proves too much.
    Likewise, I can only withstand so much of J-HB who, for the short interval that I listened today, was going nearly spare because some of her callers were more articulate than her in their counterarguments. Literally, she butted in so much telling the callers she must speak, the need to dominate was as equally aggravating as our 10 am presenter ! Both of them seem to lack understanding in the art of people skills....
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I am not a long term listener but he (his mood) is all over the place from day to day. Does anyone know what his sudden illness was the other day just before he was due to broadcast?

Trapped wind. :D
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    I love it loz. That's the stiff upper lip we seem to be missing in these days of entitlement (cf. Burlybear's post #1945), and political correctness. Classic.

It was classic - talk about understatement! :o:o:D
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    I am not a long term listener but he (his mood) is all over the place from day to day. Does anyone know what his sudden illness was the other day just before he was due to broadcast?
    [/B]

Look, let's just put forward a simple deduction without casting any serious aspersions about J O'B's medical affairs. He was taken short for immediate hospital treatment after expounding largely on Nigel Farage's impending interview with Nick Clegg scheduled for the 26th. He became very excitable on air expelling his hatred of UKIP. Hospital confinement followed shortly afterwards ..maybe his ranting and ravings still left some more 'windy' issues which needed the expertise of doctors to sort it out :D. J O'B's time in an NHS hospital was so brief you couldn't make it up as for anything authentic, his tweets conveyed a medical 'quick fix'....he does have an ego though which his doctors may not have an instant solution to.
    My thoughts....you couldn't make this guy up if you tried.

:D
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B_Dizzle wrote: »
    So you've not noticed the last 6 years of unabashed Conservative Political Broadcasting that is LBC. Were you drunk?:o:D
    :):)
    I love reading right-wing posters who are so insecure in their ideology, that they insist on being the only voice in the room.

WHOA, there.....I am not a political creature. Neither a drunkard - or, right wing :D

James discusses, ' The poor' with alacrity - but without experience. He has a good heart - but he patronises......

I have been listening to LBC for much longer than 6 years & find it well balanced.

You hear what you hear :)
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    Steve allen has same vew points as hopkins does ( welfare state etc.. ) Don't listen to the mug anymore. James whale is far better than steve allen.

One suspects J W would have exactly the same opinions as S A regarding welfare state etc
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    WHOA, there.....I am not a political creature. Neither a drunkard

You don't know what you're missing... *hic* :D
    James discusses, ' The poor' with alacrity - but without experience. He has a good heart - but he patronises......

I think James gets it wrong sometimes and there are times when I could happily strangle him. But I continue to maintain that he gets it wrong a lot less than many of his colleagues, but who don't get it in the neck like he does on this thread. Ian Collins for one seems to bang on as if he were the font of all knowledge, but in fact seems to talk a load of old baloney in the most pompous, supercilious way most of the time. Ferrari, to my ears, is just a rather nasty bully-boy.

If a presenter had to have experience of a topic before expounding on it, then LBC would be mostly dead air!
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wondered why callers ring in when they're going to disagree with J O'B. Could these callers have masochistic tendencies? :o

They must have :D

He waits for them like a Rottweiler, ready to attack. Shame, really - he is not doing himself or, his politics any favours !
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have :D

He waits for them like a Rottweiler, ready to attack. Shame, really - he is not doing himself or, his politics any favours !

I agree and when he starts to lose the argument, as frequently happens, then James O'Brian behaves like a spoilt child and cuts them off air.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    tonupkid wrote: »
    And huge respect to you Nosedive. Sounds like you're working now and I'm happy for you.
    Best of luck with everything. xx

Thanks tonup, you're a sweetheart. They've just extended my three month contract for another three.
    I think I managed to remain fairly grounded during my out of work period too. My dole officer however seemed to turn into more and more of a communist each time I signed on !
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Look, let's just put forward a simple deduction without casting any serious aspersions about J O'B's medical affairs. He was taken short for immediate hospital treatment after expounding largely on Nigel Farage's impending interview with Nick Clegg scheduled for the 26th. He became very excitable on air expelling his hatred of UKIP. Hospital confinement followed shortly afterwards ..maybe his ranting and ravings still left some more 'windy' issues which needed the expertise of doctors to sort it out :D. J O'B's time in an NHS hospital was so brief you couldn't make it up as for anything authentic, his tweets conveyed a medical 'quick fix'....he does have an ego though which his doctors may not have an instant solution to.
    My thoughts....you couldn't make this guy up if you tried.

:D

Can we get an "Amen" in here?,

He said the doctor in A&E gave him a couple of tablets and he was right as rain in ten minutes. It was probably gripe, the big baby.
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Such a perceptive comment.

Such a predictable comment.
    Forum Member

Yeh like the way you can't stop yourself listening to anti-vapeing Iain Dale? :D
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the anniversary of his birth, here is some excerpts of Steve Allen from the early years, including his last broadcast on UBN. Produced by David Lloyd former MD of LBC.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    James, when Steve is distressing people, forced to rely on social security, just remember we are paying for his health treatment for his diabetes. It is also well known that he is grossly overweight and has a poor diet. Self loathing I consider often results in loathing others. High time that he was booted off LBC. Wouldn't it be ironic if he lost his job at LBC and couldn't find work? He has said many times he thrives on people's misery and you get more listeners if people hate you. He has also passed on this wisdom to Cristo who is equally unlistenable. Tune into James Whale from 06.30 every morning on BBC Essex James and just ignore this nasty vicious little man. :) What was that little trick you used to do with the meter again Steve?

How are 'we' paying for his health treatment ? He works 5, soon to be 6 days a week and pays all his taxes.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Emitting wind, makes a change from talking out of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha he should try working 7 nights a week! Understandable.
    He has neither the voice nor temperament for radio. He would be far more suited to working as a ladies hairdresser.
    Forum Member
    Steve is getting very dramatic over the lost plane. He keeps likening the possible debris sighted in the Indian Ocean, to the find of the Titanic !
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are 'we' paying for his health treatment ? He works 5, soon to be 6 days a week and pays all his taxes.

Steve Allen's health treatment is being funded out of general taxation, to which he contributes. Most people claiming social security are also contributing to general taxation or have done in the past. It's a bit hypocritical of Steve Allen to think he is entitled to a benefit funded by general taxation but others are not.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Steve Allen's health treatment is being funded out of general taxation, to which he contributes. Most people claiming social security are also contributing to general taxation or have done in the past. It's a bit hypocritical of Steve Allen to think he is entitled to a benefit funded by general taxation but others are not.

You should know by now that Steve only thinks in tabloid headlines. To him 'benefit claimants' are the work-shy fraudsters who claim invalidity benefit and are then pictured playing football or cleaning windows. They're single mums with umpteen kids by umpteen different men, who expect their local council to provide them with a big house. It's what his audience expect and enjoy.

Morning all. :)
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emitting wind, makes a change from talking out of it.

Don't diss his favourite orifice
This discussion has been closed.