Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    1982 knew how to produce proper long lasting classic pop music of all kinds.

Give it four or give years and everything they ever learned would seemingly be forgotten. 81-85 was the feast before the famine.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Give it four or give years and everything they ever learned would seemingly be forgotten. 81-85 was the feast before the famine.

What a good way of putting it.

You mention the word "famine" and for all the talk of SAW and videos taking away from the music etc, and over production, the Geldof effect is always in my mind too, and things changed from that point onwards too. Far too many charity tracks coming out for literally anything. We'll have one at No1 on next weeks 1987 chart, the rather odd concept looking back now of Ferry Aid.

Then there are all the oldies that came back stuffing up the charts from adverts mostly. It really was a perfect storm of 4 or 5 factors all hitting music within a year or so that totally derailed everything in my view, I felt it very much at the time and with a few years hindsight my view remains unchanged.

1985 is the last consistently high quality year from start to finish. Afterwards it was always patchier.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a good way of putting it.

You mention the word "famine" and for all the talk of SAW and videos taking away from the music etc, and over production, the Geldof effect is always in my mind too, and things changed from that point onwards too. Far too many charity tracks coming out for literally anything. We'll have one at No1 on next weeks 1987 chart, the rather odd concept looking back now of Ferry Aid.

Then there are all the oldies that came back stuffing up the charts from adverts mostly. It really was a perfect storm of 4 or 5 factors all hitting music within a year or so that totally derailed everything in my view, I felt it very much at the time and with a few years hindsight my view remains unchanged.

1985 is the last consistently high quality year from start to finish. Afterwards it was always patchier.
    I actually think 1987 was quite a good year of music. 88/89 was when it became full of SAW produced music.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The greatest record in this weeks 1982 chart - Dollar, Give Me Back My Heart. I adore this record more than words can possibly say. :):):):):cool:

I can't believe it but it's actually bought me to tears it's so well made and brings back such fond thoughts. :cry: .... :blush:

OMG!! :o I totally agree, the most perfect pop song of all. Also agree with you about "Desiderata". Chas n Dave a very close second to Dollar, superb song.

But how anyone can adore "Give Me Back My Heart" whilst at the same time liking that awful dirge "Ebony and Ivory" is a true mystery to me!
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Goombay Dance Band, Imagination, Chas & Dave, Roxy Music, Classix Nouveaux and ABC the only standout tracks from the 82 chart
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought i was hearing a repeat this week as 1972 & 1982 were featured on this week in 2012 .the 72 hour was nearly identical but the 82 chart was a little different :)

2012 version http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fq6gr

2014 version http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b040ld8b
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1984 onwards was great times with my disco S A W records got stick but people danced to those records, there were so much variety of songs back then I agree with rich tea the "Dollar single was brill great production by Trevor horn.( Videotheque was good too)

I loved the 80s during my mobile disco days it all started 1980- 1996 then the music had changed big time !
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    1984 onwards was great times with my disco S A W records got stick but people danced to those records, there were so much variety of songs back then I agree with rich tea the "Dollar single was brill great production by Trevor horn.( Videotheque was good too)

I loved the 80s during my mobile disco days it all started 1980- 1996 then the music had changed big time !

I did mobile discos between 82 and 92 and those 80's days were fabulous.
    We always ran background build up music for the fist half hour or so to let people get a drink or two down them and then it was full lights on, sound up and music on. After the release of Chain Reaction in 86 I don't think there wasn't a show that we didn't open up with that, 99% guaranteed floor filler and you just needed to keep it going from there on in.

I had to admit defeat in the end but the early 90's when people were asking for music I had never heard of. 92 to 95 was a bit of a black hole for music as far as I'm concerned, it was turned around by the arrival of Brit Pop.

I have done a few 'one offs' since and it's the 80's that always goes down well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hey Smooth Labi Siffre recorded more than It must be love.

Also I think the words to the chas and dave song are great. Gave it to an ex girlfriend just before i called it a day.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member

Listening to it really sounds like going "back to the future".

I stayed with my nan in the Easter holidays in 1982 at this time and she loved this Chas & Dave song!

Funny you should say that, in April 82 I was 15 and just about to turn 16 in May. I had met a girl who would become my first proper girlfriend. We met through CB radio and had eyeballed on the Good Friday. On Easter Sunday I too was at my Nan's and couldn't wait you get home just to find her on the CB so I could have my long chats with her.
    On the day after Easter Monday we started going out proper.

As you say, such great memories the music of Easter 1982 brought back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    We always ran background build up music for the fist half hour or so to let people get a drink or two down them and then it was full lights on, sound up and music on. After the release of Chain Reaction in 86 I don't think there wasn't a show that we didn't open up with that, 99% guaranteed floor filler and you just needed to keep it going from there on in.

I had to admit defeat in the end but the early 90's when people were asking for music I had never heard of. 92 to 95 was a bit of a black hole for music as far as I'm concerned, it was turned around by the arrival of Brit Pop.

I have done a few 'one offs' since and it's the 80's that always goes down well.[/QU

You are so spot on I know a guy who is still doing mobile discos when I used to do them he is in his sixties now and I was at a wedding he done last year mind you he had his daughter with him keeping him right LOL

PS I always thought karaoke was the death nail for mobile discos as the karaoke host sang and played cds guising as a dj
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 April 1982

Top 20
    20 THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT - TIGHT FIT - I prefer their Abba-soundlalike follow-up soundalike Fantasy Island, but this is great too. I do feel sorry the man who was actually singing on the record, though.
    19 EBONY AND IVORY - PAUL MCCARTNEY WITH STEVIE WONDER - I've admitted before of my liking for the Macca duets, and this is no exception. I can understand the need for a video quickly, but it's so cheap-looking.
    17 SEE THOSE EYES - ALTERED IMAGES - This is OK, but I couldn't listen to more than one Altered Images song in one go.
    16 NIGHT BIRDS - SHAKATAK - This isn't bad, but I much prefer Down On The Street.
    15 POISON ARROW - I wish I'd been a bit older to appreciate how great it was that two Sheffield bands - The Human League and ABC - were have such big success during this period. Fantastic Trevor Horn production.
    13 DEAR JOHN - STATUS QUO - Shame they were back to typical Quo after the much better Rock And Roll.
    11 IS IT A DREAM - CLASSIX NOUVEAUX - Know the song, but not anything about the group, and one I wouldn't have minded being skipped.
    10 HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN LOVE - LEO SAYER - Nice, but forgettable, Leo ballad.
    08 LAYLA - DEREK AND THE DOMINOES - Classic tune. Not sure if there was a reason for this being back in the chart, though I seem to recall it being used in an episode of Emmerdale Farm from around the time.
    07 GIVE ME BACK MY HEART - DOLLAR - More Trevor Horn magic. Glad it was played right until the end without interrpution.
    06 MORE THAN THIS - ROXY MUSIC - Another classy tune from Roxy Music, probably my fave of theirs.
    04 AIN'T NO PLEASING YOU - CHAS AND DAVE - It's a shame that such talented musicians as Chas and Dave didn't manage to get a no. 1 single. You can tell this is a totally honest song, written from personal experience.
    03 JUST AN ILLUSION - IMAGINATION - I just love the silky sound of Imagtination's records and I can understand how annoyed Leee John still is that this was kept off no. 1by the Goombay Dance Band in the UK.
    02 MY CAMERA NEVER LIES - BUCKS FIZZ - A lot of Bucks Fizz fans came out of the closet in this thread when The Land Of Make Believe was played earlier on this year. So I know I'll not have been alone in loving this. My fave song by them.
    01 SEVEN TEARS - GOOMBAY DANCE BAND - One of those novelty records that I just can't help singing along to.

Not Played
    18 A BUNCH OF THYME - FOSTER AND ALLEN - Not sure how this ended up getting in the charts and it's certainly not as well remembered as most of the other songs on this chart. So, I'm glad it was skipped.
    14 DON'T LOVE ME TO HARD - NOLANS - Would have liked to have heard this, but it would probably have been a re-recording.
    12 DAMNED DON'T CRY - VISAGE - I like this better than Fade To Grey, though that's probably because it's been so overplayed.
    09 QUIEREME MUCHO (YOURS) - JULIO IGLEASIAS - Remember Beguine The Beguine from the time, but not this one.
    05 GHOSTS - JAPAN - I didn't know this song until I bought an 80s compilation CD with it one. Such a haunting song and should definitely have been played being in the top 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    10 April 1982

Not Played
    18 A BUNCH OF THYME - FOSTER AND ALLEN - Not sure how this ended up getting in the charts and it's certainly not as well remembered as most of the other songs on this chart. So, I'm glad it was skipped.
    14 DON'T LOVE ME TO HARD - NOLANS - Would have liked to have heard this, but it would probably have been a re-recording.
    12 DAMNED DON'T CRY - VISAGE - I like this better than Fade To Grey, though that's probably because it's been so overplayed.
    09 QUIEREME MUCHO (YOURS) - JULIO IGLEASIAS - Remember Beguine The Beguine from the time, but not this one.
    05 GHOSTS - JAPAN - I didn't know this song until I bought an 80s compilation CD with it one. Such a haunting song and should definitely have been played being in the top 5.

Although Julio made No3 in the UK with this single in 1982, Quierieme Mucho (Yours) was actually at No1 in Holland for 3 weeks back in September 1979.

I'm not aware of ever having heard the Foster & Allen track. It flew well under the radar did that one.

I always remember seeing the video for ABC's Poison Arrow and hearing the song for the first time on one of the last ever edition's of Noel Edmonds Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, and instantly loving it.

I also recall seeing bald headed Sal Solo led Classix Nouveaux doing Is It A Dream? on Cheggers Plays Pop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 April 1982

Top 20
    20 THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT - TIGHT FIT - I prefer their Abba-soundlalike follow-up soundalike Fantasy Island, but this is great too. I do feel sorry the man who was actually singing on the record, though.
    19 EBONY AND IVORY - PAUL MCCARTNEY WITH STEVIE WONDER - I've admitted before of my liking for the Macca duets, and this is no exception. I can understand the need for a video quickly, but it's so cheap-looking.
    17 SEE THOSE EYES - ALTERED IMAGES - This is OK, but I couldn't listen to more than one Altered Images song in one go.
    16 NIGHT BIRDS - SHAKATAK - This isn't bad, but I much prefer Down On The Street.
    15 POISON ARROW - I wish I'd been a bit older to appreciate how great it was that two Sheffield bands - The Human League and ABC - were have such big success during this period. Fantastic Trevor Horn production.
    13 DEAR JOHN - STATUS QUO - Shame they were back to typical Quo after the much better Rock And Roll.
    11 IS IT A DREAM - CLASSIX NOUVEAUX - Know the song, but not anything about the group, and one I wouldn't have minded being skipped.
    08 LAYLA - DEREK AND THE DOMINOES - Classic tune. Not sure if there was a reason for this being back in the chart, though I seem to recall it being used in an episode of Emmerdale Farm from around the time.
    07 GIVE ME BACK MY HEART - DOLLAR - More Trevor Horn magic. Glad it was played right until the end without interrpution.
    06 MORE THAN THIS - ROXY MUSIC - Another classy tune from Roxy Music, probably my fave of theirs.
    04 AIN'T NO PLEASING YOU - CHAS AND DAVE - It's a shame that such talented musicians as Chas and Dave didn't manage to get a no. 1 single. You can tell this is a totally honest song, written from personal experience.
    03 JUST AN ILLUSION - IMAGINATION - I just love the silky sound of Imagtination's records and I can understand how annoyed Leee John still is that this was kept off no. 1by the Goombay Dance Band in the UK.
    02 MY CAMERA NEVER LIES - BUCKS FIZZ - A lot of Bucks Fizz fans came out of the closet in this thread when The Land Of Make Believe was played earlier on this year. So I know I'll not have been alone in loving this. My fave song by them.
    01 SEVEN TEARS - GOOMBAY DANCE BAND - One of those novelty records that I just can't help singing along to.

Not Played

Not a patch on 1972.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    Not a patch on 1972.
    Well there was a 1972 top ten single back in the 1982 top ten as an even bigger hit second time around - Layla.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1969 and 87 are played this coming weekend.

1969 chart is a absolute gem. The difference between the first and second parts of the show is just so stark it is unbelievable. If ever there was an example of just how the quality had fallen by the late eighties Phil Swern couldn't have found a better one. The only fault is that if he had waited a week the Beatles would have slammed in at number one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only was the Julio Iglesias track originally from 1979 but I've just discovered that the Foster & Allen track was too, originally having topped the Irish chart that year. I gave it a listen and it is like a fish out of water in that 1982 chart, it doesn't remotely sound like a hit record to me, yet broke the Top 20 at the time. As mysterious as the enduring popularity of Daniel O'Donnell I guess, whom I could imagine singing that track.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 April 1982

Top 20

Not Played

As I recall Layla was used as the Vauxhall companies ad tune a lot in the 80s. I knew this cos my dad worked for them and was a massive Clapton fan
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »

I have done a few 'one offs' since and it's the 80's that always goes down well.

I agree, in fact I would place 1993 as one of the most terrible years for music. I think 91 was close behind
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend is the same age as me and a music lover he thought as well that when we got to the 90s the music changed ,in my opinion they were a couple of good tracks around 1993 - 1996 for example

Dreamer - living joy
    what is love - Haddaway
    luv u baby - The original
    unchain my heart - Toni Braxton ( disco mix)

A couple of M people tracks some brit pop Oasis, Blur . and some other disco dance tracks out in that period "Where love lives " Alison limerick " A monster club hit
    The 80s were my favourite time for music so much variety , never to be repeated , I am happy I lived through that era ( also the 70s pop and glam rock era) and had all that music that Tony plays as the soundtrack of my life!
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It occurs to me that, allowing for Easters past, it is appropriate for POTP to have featured 1982 last week and 1987 today. Easter Sunday in those years were April 11th and 19th respectively! Likewise, 1978 featured around the right time as Easter Sunday then was March 26th.

I have not analysed every year though!
  • Ian 57Ian 57 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    It occurs to me that, allowing for Easters past, it is appropriate for POTP to have featured 1982 last week and 1987 today. Easter Sunday in those years were April 11th and 19th respectively! Likewise, 1978 featured around the right time as Easter Sunday then was March 26th.

I have not analysed every year though!

Ferry Aid at number 1. I wonder how that may be addressed today. A coincidence as 1987 being featured has been advertised for a few weeks now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick Of The Pops today playing the hits from this week back in 1969 and 1987.

Radio 2 @ 1pm.

Interesting point made by Ian above regards Ferry Aid, the charity track that was rapidly recorded in the aftermath of the Zeebrugge ferry capsize on 6th March 1987 and was top of the charts within a month of that tragedy. The song sits at No1 in the '87 chart so cannot be swerved. A last minute swerve to a different year maybe, or are we just being too sensitive on matters? Unbelievable timing I must admit.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all...
    Hour 1 - http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1969-04-19/
    TOTP - -

17-4-69: Presenter: Pete Murray (Wiped)

(1) DESMOND DEKKER & THE ACES – Israelites (and charts)
    (15) CLODAGH RODGERS – Come Back And Shake Me
    (12) JOHNNY NASH – Cupid
    (NEW) THE FLIRTATIONS – What’s Good About Goodbye My Love
    (2) MARY HOPKIN – Goodbye ®
    (18) STEVIE WONDER – I Don’t Know Why (I Love You) ® *
    (NEW) THE BEATLES & BILLY PRESTON – Get Back (video)
    (16) BOB & EARL – I’ll Keep Running Back (crowd dancing)
    (6) THE WHO – Pinball Wizard ®
    (1) DESMOND DEKKER & THE ACES – Israelites
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1969 is sounding very good here today, although not too keen on the "Vitalite" sunflower spread track at No1.

Does anyone actually know what The Windmills Of Your Mind actually means?