Options

Later... with Jools Holland - Series 44

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    This programme is really beyond a joke. How can anybody have lost so much joy and enthusiasm in their life that they actively choose to listen to the dreary and turgid dross served up on this show. It's truly a music programme for coffin dodgers.

I know it always mixes up the old and new together, but let's be perfectly honest here and wonder about the state of music in this country at the moment if this of all shows actually brings on Engelbert to do his most obvious star turn which was even a rather pedestrian song at the time it hit in 1967.

Who is Later actually aimed at nowadays? It's hard to tell. :confused:
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elbow always get you through.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neneh Cherry :D
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Elbow always get you through.:D

That last song by Elbow is proper beautiful. Love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote:
    That last song by Elbow is proper beautiful. Love it.
    Yes it is.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Elbow, Neneh, Agnes and Clean Bandit.

Engelbert did a great job. He may not hit all the notes these days. But the man will be 78 in a couple of weeks' time, so I think he's doing fine!

Eagulls seemed to be very worked up about something. But since I couldn't understand a single word, I'm not sure what they were on about.

Anyhow, great to see Jools back again - one of the few things worth watching!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Next week you have Paolo Nutini, Royal Blood, Neil Finn, Joan as Police Woman and Lucius.

No one really takes my fancy in that line-up either. Paolo Nutini will be interesting because he's been away for 5 years and has apparently come back with a rather excellent album according to most reviews. Neil Finn i know of, as for the rest no idea.

Love Split Enz, Neil Finn became a little more dull with Crowded House and his solo stuff.
    Heard of Paolo Nutini but don't like his music. The others I haven't got a Scooby.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Didn't think much of Joan As Police Woman - stupid name aswell. Plenty of 70s r&b out there without making new stuff.

I missed the beginning. I presume it was Nutini?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zara McFarlane was good.

Also liking this Royal Blood duet. Simple but decent enough tune. Also, unlike the White Stripes duet, this drummer can actually play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All I can concentrate is the underarm fat spilling out of the shorter ones dress. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thought i'd bump this thread for discussion of the show and the artists.

There is another thread but it's for slagging off the show.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Zara McFarlane was good.
    She was ok. She's not fully developed yet as a jazz singer but she's got a long way to go. I like jazz and wish Jools woud have a bit more of it on Later rather than some of the nondescript acts he's had on recently. Two fantastic British female jazz singers who have won awards (and one even got a gong for services to music) are Claire Martin and Tina May, yet neither have ever been invited on to Later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought i'd bump this thread for discussion of the show and the artists.

There is another thread but it's for slagging off the show.

To be honest I am surprised at the relative silence and lack of activity on this thread about the show, but take the quiet nature of the thread as indicative of the poor output in the series so far, especially the last show. When Later is good, it's brilliant, and when it is lacklustre it can be extremely poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomorrow night should be a good one and hopefully a return to form -

Coldplay
    The Black Keys
    Damon Albarn
    Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
    Aziza Brahim

Personally i'm really looking forward to Coldplay and The Black Keys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coldplay - Rolleyes and yawn in one!

I enjoy Later these days for the artists i've not heard of before. Most I don't follow up on but some get me searching for their other stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This Coldplay track sounds extactly the same as every other of theirs from the past few years.

Bland and then goes high pitched voice in the middle

I'm sure the BBC will be having it played out on dramas and idents for years to come
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Coldplay track sounds extactly the same as every other of theirs from the past few years.

Bland and then goes high pitched voice in the middle

I'm sure the BBC will be having it played out on dramas and idents for years to come
    I was just looking at the guys in Coldplay and thinking they all seem exactly the same as they ever were, whether it is now, 5, 6, or 10 years ago. I liked it when band members also changed image a little bit as the years passed. Coldplay could be from any year since 2000 looking at them, and as you say, listening to them too. Popular music seems stuck in a much of a muchness state in recent years in both sound and vision. Oh, I've just name checked a Bowie single! Now there's someone who never sat still from year to year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Black Keys not doing much for me. Reminiscent of a poor Arctic Monkeys in some ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I was just looking at the guys in Coldplay and thinking they all seem exactly the same as they ever were, whether it is now, 5, 6, or 10 years ago. I liked it when band members also changed image a little bit as the years passed. Coldplay could be from any year since 2000 looking at them, and as you say, listening to them too. Popular music seems stuck in a much of a muchness state in recent years in both sound and vision. Oh, I've just name checked a Bowie single! Now there's someone who never sat still from year to year.
    Yeah it's like they decided that their first album was successful so lets just keep doing the same.

Most of the bands I like progress and try something new.
    They might lose a few fans along the way but most will stay with them and many more will join.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, so it's The Black Keys who do the annoying song from an annoying advert
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coldplay - first song i liked the stripped back sound by overall it was dull, 2nd song i really liked but perhaps a bit too EDM-y production for me.

Black Keys - excellent. Was that 2nd song from an advert? i knew i recognised it from somewhere! Lol.

Damon Albarn - well, it was interesting at least and he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself. Would like to hear more to see what other songs sound like.

The rest wasn't my cup of tea.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder what input Jools has into the selection of those who appear on this programme.
    I make no secret of the fact that I'm not enamoured of his style of playing, but I accept he's quite an accomplished pianist. Given as I've mentioned before he can sound very insincere when he says "loved your CD," I think as I do, even he must wonder where the producers find some of the rubbish served up as music on this show.
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder what input Jools has into the selection of those who appear on this programme.
    I make no secret of the fact that I'm not enamoured of his style of playing, but I accept he's quite an accomplished pianist. Given as I've mentioned before he can sound very insincere when he says "loved your CD," I think as I do, even he must wonder where the producers find some of the rubbish served up as music on this show.

You're repeating yourself now Doghouse.

I've seen you express the same opinion before (not necessarily on this thread). Not that it bothers me particularly, as your opinion of anything does not upset me, I just thought you might like to know you've said it before.

tl;dr "Nurse! He's up again!" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where is the innovative new music? So much of it sounds like a constant re-tread even when new bands or artists come on. Where is the "wow" factor?