Options

Could the Daleks appear in Torchwood 4

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
We dont know what Torchwood are going to be up against, but because its going to be a Amercian production, I might guess that the Daleks might be involved

It a enemy that the American viewers would know of straight away, and could get them more ratings

I would like to see the Daleks appear, but to see a different side to them, and seeing its not a kids program a darker side to the daleks

Or will RTD just go with a new monster all together

Comments

• Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see the Daleks fitting in Torchwood, somehow. They're too associated with the parent show and anyway, I doubt the Nation estate would allow it. It might also complicate matters contractually as regards them appearing again in Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect the Sleestaks will be featured before the Daleks. ;)
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very unlikely the Daleks will ever appear in Torchwood, partly because Torchwood is a post-watershed show and the Daleks are heavily associated with a family show. RTD has said that the Doctor won't ever appear in Torchwood for similar reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    It's very unlikely the Daleks will ever appear in Torchwood, partly because Torchwood is a post-watershed show and the Daleks are heavily associated with a family show. RTD has said that the Doctor won't ever appear in Torchwood for similar reasons.

But then, RTD is no longer in charge.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they could be sexually ambigous welsh daleks?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member

RTD is still showrunner of Torchwood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »

Well technically a Cyberman appeared in it.

Sort of.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssj2matt wrote: »

Sort of.

Indeed. And although that episode sucked it did at least show us a much darker version of the whole process of being cybered, and it made it look so much more scary and horrific. Torchwood could really go into detail with Daleks.
    But they'll never appear. They are too involved with Doctor Who; they walk hand in hand and the Nation estate would never allow it. It would be nice... but I'm not sure how Jack and co could possibly hope to fight them off.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Of Doctor Who no, but he's still in charge of Torchwood and SJA.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ssj2matt wrote: »

Sort of.

Sort of is the right word, she was less a Cyberman and more a woman in a metal bikini. :D
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er, I think you'll find that he is.

On a wider note, anyone who seriously thinks that there will be any crossover of adversaries from DW is missing the point. It's an adult programme, it has moved on and away from its DW beginnings, and is quite at home creating its own characters, stories and threats.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Daleks were the sole opponent (and, for the record, for the reasons cited above I don't think they'll ever appear) wouldn't this be quite a lot like the show that Nation tried to sell himself in the 60s? A team of people pursuing Daleks with no Doctor involvement for an American audience?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm guessing your very dissappointed to know that he is still head of TW then???:D

Daleks won't appear neither will anything directly Who related now that the show is going state side and is seemingly becoming more an more independant of its parent show...
  • Options
    MarrooMarroo Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see the Daleks fitting in Torchwood, somehow. They're too associated with the parent show and anyway, I doubt the Nation estate would allow it. It might also complicate matters contractually as regards them appearing again in Who.

They could take over from Ianto & make the tea ! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    neel wrote: »
    Perhaps they could be sexually ambigous welsh daleks?

*tries to imagine a sexually ambiguous dalek*

Nah, I give up, mind in boggle overdrive.

Unless you just go for the easy joke and make them glittery pink
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I hope not Caqptain Jack would just laugh at these new plastic ones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *tries to imagine a sexually ambiguous dalek*

Nah, I give up, mind in boggle overdrive.

Unless you just go for the easy joke and make them glittery pink

Back in 1999 Dapol, who then had the licence to make Doctor Who toys, almost did just that-they released a 'Millennium Dalek' set over the course of the year leading up to 2000 (why, I have no idea, as the new millennium actually began in 2001). Six glitter speckled Daleks in red, blue, green, purple, black and silver! And the 'red' one was definitely a bit on the pink side. Utterly bizarre...
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in 1999 Dapol, who then had the licence to make Doctor Who toys, almost did just that-they released a 'Millennium Dalek' set over the course of the year leading up to 2000 (why, I have no idea, as the new millennium actually began in 2001). Six glitter speckled Daleks in red, blue, green, purple, black and silver! And the 'red' one was definitely a bit on the pink side. Utterly bizarre...

Can't help but ask if you own them. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't help but ask if you own them. :D
    Umm...well...(*quickly hides Millennium Dalek set*):o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member

:eek:Truth is stranger than fiction

I want a glittery dalek!:(
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I hope we don't get any Daleks, yes its set in the same universe but its ad ifferent show with a different audience. Plus I'm not really a fan of the Daleks, even as a child watching classic who they sort of bored me.
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was a lot of debate at the time as to whether the new Millennium actually started in 2000 or 2001, with both sides putting up decent arguments. However, whatever the rights or wrongs, the new Millennium was celebrated at the start of 2000, so I am surprised that you have no idea why a company would try and cash in on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a lot of debate at the time as to whether the new Millennium actually started in 2000 or 2001, with both sides putting up decent arguments. However, whatever the rights or wrongs, the new Millennium was celebrated at the start of 2000, so I am surprised that you have no idea why a company would try and cash in on this.

Bearing in mind that there was no year zero AD, I still can't see why there was any argument. The millennium started once 2000 years had passed-at the end of the year 2000, just as the previous millennium would have begun at the end of the year 1000.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    daleks are great in doctor who but they would ruin torchwood
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    As the plebescite believes the millenium started Jan 1st 2000, and the millenium actually started Jan 1st 2001, an opportunity was missed to have two sets of Millenium Daleks... perhaps the second set could declare the first set inferior and obliterate them?

As for replacing Ianto and making the tea, they've had practice (although those were the old, inferior, not selling anymore in the shops Daleks, so perhaps not)

And no, they'll never be in Torchwood, for the reasons already given. Any crossovers have got to be done in such a way that younger DW fans won't be too upset at not being allowed to watch it.

I thought the new Daleks were sexually ambiguous, and Welsh. Am I wrong?