Bread maker recommendations please.

TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi All

I have looked for recent threads on this subject but can't find a current one, so sorry if this is a duplicate. I would like to make my own spelt bread and would appreciate recommendations for a bread maker and feeback on just how easy they really are to operate!

Many thanks.

Comments

• VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Good for you - but in my experience the people I know made bread once, twice maybe three times....then it was put in the cupboard next to the ice cream maker and juicer.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people think that a Panasonic is the best machine on the market. Which model you choose depends on how adventurous you want to be. The more expensive one has a nuts dispenser which while handy is not really essential.

As for making bread, it takes about five minutes to put the ingredients in the metal pan. Three or four hours later you have a freshly baked loaf.

Unfortunately most breadmakers use a paddle to mix the dough and this is baked with the loaf. When removing the paddle, you will probably tear the loaf at the bottom.

Home made bread is not really suitable for sandwiches but is lovely for eating soon after baking but it does not keep well. That made more than 24 hours previously is best eaten as toast.

I have made my own bread for the last five years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason these are on special this week.
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend whichever is the most recent Panasonic model. I've had one for about four years and it's great. I've never heard a complaint from anyone who's gone with the Panasonic either and a few people I know have one.
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Most people think that a Panasonic is the best machine on the market. Which model you choose depends on how adventurous you want to be. The more expensive one has a nuts dispenser which while handy is not really essential.

As for making bread, it takes about five minutes to put the ingredients in the metal pan. Three or four hours later you have a freshly baked loaf.

Unfortunately most breadmakers use a paddle to mix the dough and this is baked with the loaf. When removing the paddle, you will probably tear the loaf at the bottom.

Home made bread is not really suitable for sandwiches but is lovely for eating soon after baking but it does not keep well. That made more than 24 hours previously is best eaten as toast.

BIB: :confused::confused: That's just about all I use my home made bread for. Unless you aren't very good at slicing bread and can only cut doorstops there's no reason at all why you can't use it for sandwiches. I slice my loaves in the evening after they've cooled and wrap most of the slices before putting them in the freezer for use throughout the week. If there are a few of you, you won't need to do this, of course, as the bread will be gone in a day or so! :D
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Good for you - but in my experience the people I know made bread once, twice maybe three times....then it was put in the cupboard next to the ice cream maker and juicer.

This is so true, my mother has been brought a a blender, one of those machine to steam your veg, chocolate fountain hasn't used them once she wanted a omelette maker for her birthday got her one it hasn't been out of its box since she had one look at it :p
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry to jump on your post as well as the last poster, but in my Panasonic this has never happened. The paddle stays in the bowl and leaves a little hole in the underside of the loaf. Its true however that it doesn't keep as long as shop bought bread, but then it has none of the additives of shop bought bread.

Beware, breadmakers can lead to sudden weight gain, unless you have an iron willpower, you WILL devour the first loaf you make, with butter in the space of an hour.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not bought a loaf of bread since 2007. I have a Panasonic and use it every day. I put the ingredients in at night, set the timer so that the bread is just finished at 7.30 am and, hey presto, fresh bread for the day.

A bag of white bread flour is 62p in Tesco and you get 4 large loaves from a bag. I make brown bread, wholemeal bread and granary bread. I make dough for rolls too.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    For some reason these are on special this week.

Surely the OP could just nick one of them :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I have had a breadmaker for many many years.

Makes great sandwiches for me, cut very thin.
    I make three loaves a week, so it never goes off before I eat it.
    The paddle leaves a small indent, but not a problem, I usually use the middle of the loaf for breadcrumbs, if its damaged and give to the birds or freeze them for cooking use,

I have not bought a loaf of bread since I got my first one.
    The best bread recipes I ahve found are at http://www.bakingmad.com/recipes/breadmaker

I make naan bread, pizza dough, white, brown, wholemeal, french baguette dough, italian tomato and herb breads, brioche, rolls etc. in it.

As somone else said white strong flour is only 60p, so good for about 4 loaves, I use Asda own brand.

Allinson are now doing the easy bake yeast in a tin now so easier to use than the little packets, and its half the price. I use veg oil or olive oil in mine instead of butter.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A big thank you to all breadmakers very much indeed for your advice, I am most grateful.

Thanks Woodbush. That thread was from 2010 and I did read it but I made a new thread in case there were new makes and models.

Cheers Voodoo, but I don't have a juicer or an icecream maker, not really a gadget person 'til this one came along...!

Keefy - is AWT trying to get some quick bucks to pay for a stay in the Priory do you think for some Kleptomanic Aversion Therapy?

Davethorp - as soon as I read Keefy's post I was with you!

Supratad, I shall heed your warning about sudden weight gain!

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Mmmmmm I bought a breadmaker years ago and it went into a dark hole never to be recovered. But now having read this I do fancy making bread, might have to haul it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Mmmmmm I bought a breadmaker years ago and it went into a dark hole never to be recovered. But now having read this I do fancy making bread, might have to haul it out.

Haul it out, haul it out - you won't regret it. Even if you use it to bake one of those ready bread mixes from the supermarket. The granary one is nice.
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a Panasonic with the nuts and seeds dispenser, and it's really good. I have no complaints. I use it at weekends mostly so we have fresh bread for breakfast. I also use it if I have guests coming. I don't use it every day as the bread is so good we'd be enormous.

My son has the same make and model. He doesn't buy bread anymore and makes all his own. He's a skinny streak so can get away with it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I've had a Panasonic for 4 years and have never bought a loaf in all that time! I even make pitta bread, brioche etc.

I think it works out something like 40p a loaf for delicious bread and totally unlike shop bought. Add a handful of walnuts, or sundried tomato & rosemary, and you have speciality breads that would cost 3 or 4 quid in our local posh bakers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Panasonic too. Makes good bread for sandwiches but you need a good bread knife as it's so soft. I also like cinnamon and sultana bread but it's too easy to eat the whole thing so I don't make it too often.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Haul it out, haul it out - you won't regret it. Even if you use it to bake one of those ready bread mixes from the supermarket. The granary one is nice.

Ok I will do, thanks.:):):)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Panasonic - absolutely brilliant. Just works perfectly every time whatever I'm making.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a panasonic model, the one with nut dispenser. I use my machine all the time, I don't always have it bake the bread tho' I often have it make the dough which I then bake myself.
    Its lovely to wake in the morning to the smell of fresh baked bread.

made lovely ciabatta yesterday to have with my chicken and veggie soup... yummy!
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member

next to the slow-pot-roaster and the sodastream.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it by hand.. easier than you think.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member

This

Flogged ours in a boot sale last year - made about two loaves!!!

(They were nice though)
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you got a bread maker?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the breadmaker does it for me - overnight too.