General Ident Discussion Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,154
Forum Member
I suspect that BBC might give BBC One's ident a new look, considering they're moving to Salford and it's Olympic year.

What do you think their new theme should be? I think they should have a ''Sport'' themed set of idents, of course as it's Olympic year and it would suit the BBC well.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only part of the BBC is moving (and in many cases, has already moved) to Salford.

They are unlikely to create totally new idents, more likely to have a few new Rings ones to run alongside the existing ones to coincide with the Olympics.

A complete change at this stage would be unjustified in the light of the budget cuts.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One - Antiques R Us
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do not need a new ident the one they have will suffice. Why change it for the sake of change, will it enhance the viewing experience — NO!
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind them changing it back to the balloons :cool:
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd love an updated, modern globe ident, but I don't think it will happen.

The current idents look tired now, but I don't know if they'll be changed this year.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new revamped BBC One idents could be based on Water , Air , Fire and Earth , with select themes to each distinctive element.
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind them changing it back to the balloons :cool:

I miss them.
  • TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    BBC1HD two letters less making for a smaller logo. :P
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I miss the old globe spinning round! :cry: That was BBC to me! In all it's forms - it was iconic!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Only part of the BBC is moving (and in many cases, has already moved) to Salford.

They are unlikely to create totally new idents, more likely to have a few new Rings ones to run alongside the existing ones to coincide with the Olympics.

A complete change at this stage would be unjustified in the light of the budget cuts.

Apparently ALL FOUR main BBC channels are to get new idents this Autumn. Although BBC3's will likely be just a tweaking.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Apparently ALL FOUR main BBC channels are to get new idents this Autumn. Although BBC3's will likely be just a tweaking.

They change them every 4.5 years or so, so it's about time for a change based on that.

Whatever they do, just don't make close up faces of individuals the main focus of the idents. THAT is what makes an ident date really quickly. Note how the BBC moved away from that as time went on, and ITV used to have that in its main idents a few years back, which it ditched after 9 months.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope if we do get new BBC1 idents (and possibly a new BBC1 logo with it?) that they keep with the circles theme. I think basing the idents around a circle gives all the idents in the package a clear focus and common identity and is a brilliant symbol for the mainstream television outlet of a public service broadcaster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back to the balloons and if it really has to have an Olympic theme have them floating over the various Olympic areas...or just have the old balloon idents back and save some cash...
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

Where is that news quoted please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,154
    Forum Member
    Maybe to cut costs, BBC One and BBC Two have the same ident?
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the things the BBC could spend money on......

What possible difference is it going to make if they change any or all of their "idents"? Are they going to lose viewers? Are people going to feel any better or worse about the BBC?
  • steve1488steve1488 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I would bring back the bbc globe. I hope the BBC also bring back the bbc clocks before the news as well. Also why has the BBC got this thing about red?. Its all over the place. Its on bbc news channel bbc news bbc parliament.
  • sp2011sp2011 Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they change the idents, the one ident that really annoys me is the Hippos swimming, I don't know why it bothers me so much :D
  • TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    steve1488 wrote: »
    I would bring back the bbc globe. I hope the BBC also bring back the bbc clocks before the news as well. Also why has the BBC got this thing about red?. Its all over the place. Its on bbc news channel bbc news bbc parliament.

Great Nostalgic trip that would be but it will lead to even more stupid on screen and colourful logos. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Go back to the balloons and if it really has to have an Olympic theme have them floating over the various Olympic areas...or just have the old balloon idents back and save some cash...

The trouble with the Olympics ones is that once the Paralympic events are over, those idents will be in the recycle bin.
    steve1488 wrote: »

It's been like that since the late 90s revamp, along with filling the screen with a single colour at the end of trailers, which as I've said before, looks immensely shit because it's so generic and dull.

C4 followed suit at the start of 2005 with that (albeit different coloured) and BBC2, ITV and C5 now do similar things.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    The trouble with the Olympics ones is that once the Paralympic events are over, those idents will be in the recycle bin.

It's been like that since the late 90s revamp, along with filling the screen with a single colour at the end of trailers, which as I've said before, looks immensely shit because it's so generic and dull.

C4 followed suit at the start of 2005 with that (albeit different coloured) and BBC2, ITV and C5 now do similar things.

Its about branding and identity.
    Corporate thinking, by men in suits.

The sort of thing that belongs in German engineering companies, banks or chemical firms.

Like having standardised end credits (see ITV1), which are crap.

All very stuffy and not all creative.IMO

BTW The Paralympics are on C4 I believe.
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of having circle based idents for BBC One, lets break the tradition and have only one ident and not have it based on anything circular and have it just like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ41GJ059ys

But at the end of the ident when the continuity announcer speaks, have it end as a static picture which can be any three of these variations: http://i41.tinypic.com/m90w0n.png http://i39.tinypic.com/hvcndh.png http://i40.tinypic.com/5mn5fa.png

Waayyyy better than the current BBC One idents don't you think? In fact, if I was someone who worked in the BBC One department, I would be begging for the mentioned ident to be used! ;)
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    The trouble with the Olympics ones is that once the Paralympic events are over, those idents will be in the recycle bin..

A bit like what happens at Christmas then. On for a few weeks then seen on You Tube forever more!
  • LiquidizerLiquidizer Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I've always thought all of the BBC channels should have similar idents, it annoys me that they're all different :D

I think if BBC One do get new idents they should keep the circle theme.
    Perhaps they could have do some sort of Olympic theme with five circles ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Object Z wrote: »
    Its about branding and identity.
    Corporate thinking, by men in suits.

The sort of thing that belongs in German engineering companies, banks or chemical firms.

Like having standardised end credits (see ITV1), which are crap.

All very stuffy and not all creative.IMO

Indeed. All people who need a good hard slap.
    BTW The Paralympics are on C4 I believe.

Ah, even less time for the idents to be of use.
    Instead of having circle based idents for BBC One, lets break the tradition and have only one ident and not have it based on anything circular and have it just like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ41GJ059ys

But at the end of the ident when the continuity announcer speaks, have it end as a static picture which can be any three of these variations: http://i41.tinypic.com/m90w0n.png http://i39.tinypic.com/hvcndh.png http://i40.tinypic.com/5mn5fa.png

Waayyyy better than the current BBC One idents don't you think? In fact, if I was someone who worked in the BBC One department, I would be begging for the mentioned ident to be used! ;)

LOL :)
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i weas more or less looking towards a space theme out to put that idea into picture on the net i find difficult to do