Options

Imax - where to sit

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We wasted our money watching Spiderman in DBox seats but whilst we were there sneaked into the Imax cinema, its MASSSIVE !....we are bumpkins. We are now going to see Total Recall, mainly because we need to experience a film, any film in Imax. Can't wait for Skyfall. Anyway, where is the best place to sit to fully experience the Imax screen. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a chance (ie, if it's still showing) go see The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX, large sections of it were filmed on 70mm film which is the native format for IMAX and will fill the screen, it's esentially the same aspect ratio as your widescreen TV so is more natural on the eye than a standard 'letterbox'' movie in my opinion.

The sound is the biggest thing with IMAX for me though, and is the reason I will always go see that format if it's available, so I try and sit closer to the front than I might for a standard screening, but not too close as you can get a sore neck as the screen is so damn big!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    If its the London imaxx your talking about, best place to sit is as far back as you can and in the middle. If your sitting to far to the front your just going to get neck ache from looking up at the huge screen.
    Few months ago I stayed up till 4am to get food seats for dark knight rises, can say it was worth it though!
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Has anyone been to the Crawley Cineworld and seen an Imax film. They introduced IMAX earlier this year. I have been to this 15 screen cinema a few times. Its massive and makes my local 6 screen cinema look a pale imitation. So anyone know how many screens are Imax? have they now got less screens? Where are the Imax screens? this cinema has two or three floors. It used to do luxury seating so i am wondering if they have used those screens. Im thinking of going to see Skyfall there when it opens but not sure if its worth an hour long drive there if the imax screen isnt as good as the one in London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Well there is a lot! Of fake IMAX screens here in the uk. Londons Waterloo screen is the real deal, And a few of the science museums have them.
    But if it's a odeon or cineworld IMAX then their not the real deal, just a chain cinema version of them. Not as big or as good sound quailty.

See it in Waterloo of you can. An amazing experience.

http://nerdtears.com/your-mission-not-be-ripped-off-with-fake-imax/
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i saw Harry Potter in IMAX at Birmingham.

personally, i found it too big to take in. We were central, near the back - but it was still like looking at a doub le decker bus from 3 paces.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there is a lot! Of fake IMAX screens here in the uk. Londons Waterloo screen is the real deal, And a few of the science museums have them.
    But if it's a odeon or cineworld IMAX then their not the real deal, just a chain cinema version of them. Not as big or as good sound quailty.

Just to clarify, the Odeon IMAX at Manchester Printworks is a real IMAX, and I think around the same size as the BFI.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are going to Crawley Cineworld Imax.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odeon's Premier seats are a total waste of time & money.

All they are is a normal seat with a slightly taller headrest.:confused::eek:

In the Manchester IMAX, I always sit at the back, either the last 2 seats on the Right or Left, as there is masses of leg room, plus it makes it easier to sneak out to the toilet quickly.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a chance (ie, if it's still showing) go see The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX, large sections of it were filmed on 70mm film which is the native format for IMAX and will fill the screen, it's esentially the same aspect ratio as your widescreen TV so is more natural on the eye than a standard 'letterbox'' movie in my opinion.

The sound is the biggest thing with IMAX for me though, and is the reason I will always go see that format if it's available, so I try and sit closer to the front than I might for a standard screening, but not too close as you can get a sore neck as the screen is so damn big!

The other plus point is the fact that there are no trailers or adverts (in Manchester anyway), which is great, although that is the least they can do considering how expensive the tickets are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the Crawley Cineworld and seen an Imax film. They introduced IMAX earlier this year. I have been to this 15 screen cinema a few times. Its massive and makes my local 6 screen cinema look a pale imitation. So anyone know how many screens are Imax? have they now got less screens? Where are the Imax screens? this cinema has two or three floors. It used to do luxury seating so i am wondering if they have used those screens. Im thinking of going to see Skyfall there when it opens but not sure if its worth an hour long drive there if the imax screen isnt as good as the one in London.

The Crawley IMAX is probably the best IMAX Digital I've seen (and heard!)... beats the Odeon ones by a wide margin and I think is the largest IMAX Digital screen in the country (of course not counting the 15/70mm film IMAX's here).

Crawley Cineworld is built with screens on a number of levels, stacked on top of each other, and the IMAX auditorium (just one of them) is the height of them all. When you go in right at the front, its basically two 'normal' stadium seating rakes on top of each other with a crossover halfway back.... try to sit at the back of the first rake, so halfway up really. I found if we sat any further back, because the screen is literally floor-to-ceiling you can just get peoples heads clipping the bottom of the picture.

The entrance is on the ground floor just behind the refreshments. Think there's an entrance from the first floor bar level as well, though not totally sure.

Saw Prometheus here last and was thoroughly impressed. In contrast I saw Total Recall at Odeon Southampton IMAX a few weeks ago and felt thoroughly ripped off as the pic was no bigger than the large screen at my local 'plex, yet three times the price!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Hi, At the Crawley Imax, any ideas, about where is the best place to sit, as some folks are saying the view is obstructed by a safety barrier, or is anything above row Q good, I looked at the seating plan and its as clear as mud!!!

Cheers..

re this article...
    http://www.frontroomcinema.com/midweek-mumble-why-is-it-so-hard-to-have-good-cinema-etiquette-5-the-multiplex/

For instance how many times have you been to a cinema that simply has bad design? For instance the new IMAX screen in Crawley near myself has the most shocking design ever. They have a big section for accessible seating on the middle terrace. Which is fine and dandy. It is the best place for it, as down the front is bonkers (far too close for anyone to sit). But then they put a large safety rail around the section. Which again is fine and essential to stop nasty accidents. But then the 4 rows behind this section cannot see the bottom part of the screen. They simply didn’t design the cinema very well, all they wanted was to get the maximum amount of patrons into their new (and I expect very costly) screen. If they had raised the section behind, or given up on the rows obstructed by this rail it would have made for a better experience. Matters are made worse by having to select your seat before you go, and if you haven’t been there before my word are you in for a shock!
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to aim for the middle, back row for these things. Normally never Pre book, so end up just having the closest I can to the back/middle, as the IMAX in Edinburger is ticket/seated Pre arranged already, I am sure other cinemas are the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I would agree with you, but, they say the vertical drop at Crawley means that if you are too high, you can see peoples heads obscuring the bottom of the imax screen!!

I would rather pre-book as its a massive cinema complex, and haven't got a clue as to whats what, as I have not been there before.........and its halfterm!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any recommendations for the BFI IMAX? Want to go and see Dunkirk, but all the premium seats are taken on the only day I get there.

Any thoughts on centre rows, G, H, J and K?
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J and K aisle seat are my preferred option. Far back, but not too far back is my advice. Worst place to sit is near the front, you will get neck-ache for sure when watching Dunkirk at BFI IMAX. Too far back and the bottom of the screen could be obscured by peoples heads, because the screen almost goes down as far as the actual floor. It's big...very big.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J and K aisle seat are my preferred option. Far back, but not too far back is my advice. Worst place to sit is near the front, you will get neck-ache for sure when watching Dunkirk at BFI IMAX. Too far back and the bottom of the screen could be obscured by peoples heads, because the screen almost goes down as far as the actual floor. It's big...very big.

Thanks Ted - plumped for row J.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

Good choice.

It's almost my local these days. Don't think I have ever had a bad experience there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good choice.

It's almost my local these days. Don't think I have ever had a bad experience there.

Yeah - first IMAX experience in the UK so looking forward to it - only time I've done it was in LA (Rogue One).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good choice.

Yeah - first IMAX experience in the UK so looking forward to it - only time I've done it was in LA (Rogue One).

Well this is IMAX 70mm, and such a presentation is very rare these days.

Regardless of what you think of the movie, I am sure you will be impressed by the presentation.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    For BFI IMAX, I was told row M and the middle seats(17 and 18). Pre-book as well.
  • Options
    Maxine TreetopsMaxine Treetops Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    We wasted our money watching Spiderman in DBox seats but whilst we were there sneaked into the Imax cinema, its MASSSIVE !....we are bumpkins. We are now going to see Total Recall, mainly because we need to experience a film, any film in Imax. Can't wait for Skyfall. Anyway, where is the best place to sit to fully experience the Imax screen. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I try to sit in the middle near the back.
    Too near the front it feels as if the screen is almost on top of you and you have to look slightly upwards. Also sometimes have to move your head sideways to see whats happening in some scenes, which can be distracting

There is no such thing as a 'fake IMAX'.
    If it says IMAX, it's IMAX
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues#United_Kingdom

• Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    I usually go on a weekday to the IMAX screen at Bluewater, as it's generally more quite and reasonable easy to get a seat right in the central area a week after a film has been released. They are expanding the amount of screens though to include an XPlus screen with Dolby Atmos sound system by December.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29/07/17 - 11:55 #24
    surfie wrote: »
    I usually go on a weekday to the IMAX screen at Bluewater, as it's generally more quite and reasonable easy to get a seat right in the central area a week after a film has been released. They are expanding the amount of screens though to include an XPlus screen with Dolby Atmos sound system by December.

Nottingham's Showcase is all XPlus and Atmos sound - amazing! They also have reclining seats and I MUCH prefer going to Showcase than Cineworld. Plus I have a free Insider card so cheap showings on Sunday nights, Mondays & Tuesdays. However, I now have an Unlimited card as the Cineworld is in the City centre and much easier to get to as I don't have a car than the Showcase.

My work shifts mean I work 4 days a week with every Wednesday off, so I can go see films during the day without them being too crowded. I've been to the IMAX screen twice now and both times had the same seat the same time at the end of a row M13!
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    Pucky wrote: »
    surfie wrote: »

Nottingham's Showcase is all XPlus and Atmos sound - amazing! They also have reclining seats and I MUCH prefer going to Showcase than Cineworld. Plus I have a free Insider card so cheap showings on Sunday nights, Mondays & Tuesdays. However, I now have an Unlimited card as the Cineworld is in the City centre and much easier to get to as I don't have a car than the Showcase.

My work shifts mean I work 4 days a week with every Wednesday off, so I can go see films during the day without them being too crowded. I've been to the IMAX screen twice now and both times had the same seat the same time at the end of a row M13!

That is the sort of screen Bluewater is getting with recliner seats.

Many years ago I use to go to the Virgin cinema in Rochester which had an unlimited pass each month. Working a 4 on 4 off shift I got to see many films, some times seeing two films a day - on one occasion having a whole screen to myself. Showcase though have much better seats which are more comfortable.