Gillian Wright: Jean taking a back seat

JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a409978/eastenders-gillian-wright-jean-can-be-cruel-ugly-and-nasty.html

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if this reflected Lorraine Newman's opinion on the character of Jean, and if so, whether that will now change in view of Gillian's 'best actress' award?

Comments

• KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she needed to take a back seat after her Michael Moon storyline. I can only take her in small doses.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Fair enough - I think he's on a bit of a break too after this week. I thought she did great with that storyline though. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I think she needed to take a back seat after her Michael Moon storyline. I can only take her in small doses.

I agree with this . She is a very capable actress , there is no doubt there, but her character can easily be annoying and irritating if given enough exposure
  • LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Newman is aware of how popular Jean is, she wasn't given a reprieve in 2010/2011 for nothing, the article just says Jean is being rested in terms of storylines for a while which is cool because the character needed a break after a heavy summer.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Lousiana wrote: »
    I'm sure Newman is aware of how popular Jean is, she wasn't given a reprieve in 2010/2011 for nothing, the article just says Jean is being rested in terms of storylines for a while which is cool because the character needed a break after a heavy summer.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It just struck me as an odd comment from Gillian Wright. Normally (and understandably) the actors go on breaks after a big storyline, rather than just hover in the background!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Jean, but its good she is backing off because those little monologues were getting annoying.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I like Jean, but its good she is backing off because those little monologues were getting annoying.

I liked them, and I hope they continue. I hope that "taking a back seat" just means she isn't getting into any heavy storylines of her own, but I hope she continues to be the sort of "mad wise woman" of the square.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lousiana wrote: »

And let's face it, most characters are rested or take a back seat at some point, especially after being involved in a major storyline. So this is nothing new.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,680
    Forum Member
    Just the way soaps work, characters dip in and out.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,931
    Forum Member
    They do need to do something else with Jean, she really needs a man. I still wish they had kept Ted on, his ocd storyline potential could have been really good for the show.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,680
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    They do need to do something else with Jean, she really needs a man. I still wish they had kept Ted on, his ocd storyline potential could have been really good for the show.

I 100% agree with that post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's doing panto this year where I live:)