Words and phrases in the tabloids & general media which you hate

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Rolling news reporters who now "give us a sense" of the item they are reporting on rather than just telling us.
    Bad enough for implied vagary, but worse is when the news anchorman/woman turns to the on-screen reporter and says "Give us a flavour of what's...."

This is Syrian unrest we're dealing with, not a trip to an ice cream parlour FFS.
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pal
    insider
    source
    onlooker

– all of them always made up.

One onlooker said, 'They were all over each other!'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Any time the Daily Mail uses the word 'bizarre' or 'hilarious' or as others have said, when they mention the house value for no reason. I don't care if the person whose child died in a terrible accident lived in a £750,000 house. That's not the story and it's disrespectful and lazy journalism.

Also, it's not strictly what they write, but when they photograph relatives leaving flowers at the scene of where they lost a loved one or at the funeral. Intrusive and disrespectful again.

I could go on for hours!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redacted. It's as if everybody in the media has just discovered a new word.
  • bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    "Flat screen TV" is a favourite outrage statement with the Daily Mail.

They do realise you can't actually get any other type of TV these days don't they...? You haven't been able to pick up a brand new CRT TV in the UK for a number of years now.

Unless they think all benefits claimants should be issued with a gigantic cumbersome CRT TV when they first go and make their claim?? :rolleyes:

That made me laugh, would make a good sketch. People signing on and being handed non-flat screen tellies - sponsored by the Daily Mail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Star / Celebrity when applied to non-entities known for nothing other than perpetually being in the tabloids with some seedy story about their latest conquest / domestic / battle with weight / drugs.
  • TyeverasTyeveras Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    The way the media keep referring to Carina Trimingham as Chris Huhne's "bisexual" partner!

What does her sexuality have to do with the news story? Nothing; but they label her anyway.

On a pronunciation topic - attention all newsreaders: When exactly did a conTROVersy become a CONtroversy?

Seethe..... :(
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "13 years of Labour mismanagement/misrule."

" The mess we're in."
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Fear' always 'stalks the streets' after there has been a murder,rape or even something relatively trivial in a 'close-knit community':rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broken Britain
    ...The way they PUT some words in CAPITALS or BOLD because they think their READERS are too STUPID to understand the PERTINENT points THEMSELVES (to be fair, they might be justified in many cases)

Sorry to cut your post but the bit left is what I came on to post. Bolding it would have been too ironic ;)

Also, not sure if this counts, as its not printed but OP did say media, but the Sky News BREAKING NEWS banner when it comes on with a big flash (and audible SWOOSH!) when the NEWS BREAKS for the first time - and it turns out to be Justin Beiber has apologised to fans for being late on stage, or similar :sleep:
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    Sorry to cut your post but the bit left is what I came on to post. Bolding it would have been too ironic ;)

Also, not sure if this counts, as its not printed but OP did say media, but the Sky News BREAKING NEWS banner when it comes on with a big flash (and audible SWOOSH!) when the NEWS BREAKS for the first time - and it turns out to be Justin Beiber has apologised to fans for being late on stage, or similar :sleep:

By definition, isn't all news 'breaking news' as it should be 'new'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    The obsession with the words "racist" and "racism" when often neither are correct because it's xenophobic or xenpophobia they should be using.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    "...by Richard Littlejohn"
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suspects are never questioned, they are always 'quizzed'.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that has really annoyed me recently is the papers using the term 'gay rape' in the Nigel Evans case as if the 'gay' prefix somehow makes it worse or different. They do tend to chuck in the word 'gay' unnecessarily a lot of the time though. Why do they need to talk about two men who are going out together as having a 'gay relationship' for example?

And then there's the old favourite, 'all grown up.' Just so leery and horrible.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychotic
    The gene for disease X
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sources say..aka...someone told us and we can't be bothered to verify it....
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyeveras wrote: »
    The way the media keep referring to Carina Trimingham as Chris Huhne's "bisexual" partner!

I seem to recall the Sun used to do that a lot with 'the Gay actor...." Bizarre.
  • cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    "Suffers From" in relation to a person with a disability, so insulting
  • bbbb Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    "Bungling" - often seen in Daily Mail headlines, such as "Bungling Council" or "Bungling BBC".

"Hilarious" - Mail again. Often used to describe a set of, at best, slightly amusing photographs of dogs in clothing, or cats that look like their owners.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used in particular to describe young football players "Chelsea make bid to sign goal scoring ace".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    "Phone box fiend sent to prison." This was a headline in my local evening paper a few days ago, about a man who was convicted of getting cash out of phone boxes. It makes a change from sex fiends and dope fiends.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Sideboob
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    When something unfortunate happens in any town/village in the country there is always a 'close-knit community' who are 'devastated':rolleyes:

I also get tired of the word devastated and gutted. When ever anyone reacts to anything bad they always say they are either devastated or gutted. No one used the word devasted before Windsor Castle had a fire in 1991 and Prince Andrew said to the reporters that his mother was "devastated". After that everyone suddenly used the word.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    cantelpit wrote: »
    "Suffers From" in relation to a person with a disability, so insulting

Unfortunately this is a tricky one because whilst it's not politically correct and may be insulting, it may also be correct.

I have both physical and mental disabilities and I occasionally will say "suffering with" and I get pulled up for it and told I should say "living with" instead.
    Depending on my mood decides if they get a two word reply or not.
    Any illness can affect people in different ways even if it's not a disability. So if I feel like I am suffering, why can't I say it?

Allowed - I'm suffering with hayfever
    Allowed - I'm suffering with a migraine

Why aren't they banned and people have to say at this moment in time I'm living with hayfever or a migraine?

I usually would say I live with depression, I live with a knackered back, but I also say I am suffering with arthritis and I'm suffering from knackered knee joints. The reason being is both of them give me continuous physical pain.

The choice of wording has to be down to the individual and if he or she wants to use the term suffering from than they have the right to use it. So if the newspaper is using the terminology used by the person they are reporting about then that isn't wrong. However labelling and generalising is.
    As I say it's a tricky one.