Options

I heard two teenage girls speak on the Bus and now I have a headache

Comments

• Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Most kids in state schools these days have adopted this disgusting Jafaican accent, and their thick dumb & overweight parents probably think it's charming.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I don't really mind what they say, it's the volume they say it at that bothers me. Do they really think they're soooo interesting the entire bus wants to hear their innane conversation? Or are they just so self absorbed they're unaware that there's anyone else around who might like to travel in a bit of peace?
    I keep trying to remember if I was like that when I was a teenager but I honestly don't think we screamed and shouted like that even though we were sitting right beside each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phaz0r wrote: »
    Teenagers and old people are the absolute worst on buses.

What's the problem with old people? They chat quietly to each other, move their bag if someone needs to sit down and don't put their feet up on the seats, listen to loud music on their ipods, or curse and swear at the top of their voices.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it doesn't sound nice. I also agree that on the surface it makes the speaker look less than articulate and so not quite as intelligent. However, teenagers use words in a different way. That's a living language. It constantly evolves.

In the context of the conversation in the OP, the use of like is to emphasise the feelings associated with the narrative so that they don't need to be explained after. It is a kind of verbal shorthand.

There's a bit of a rant from Emma Thompson here about the use of like

Smarter kids know how to change their linguistic style to suit the group or occasion. The really smart ones learn how language can convey authority.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Most kids in state schools these days have adopted this disgusting Jafaican accent, and their thick dumb & overweight parents probably think it's charming.

I have heard this a lot as well and it does make me wonder what their school teachers do when they hear such badly spoken English.

Nothing I suppose.

It's ironic that English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and yet is often spoken so badly in the UK.
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the problem with old people? They chat quietly to each other, move their bag if someone needs to sit down and don't put their feet up on the seats, listen to loud music on their ipods, or curse and swear at the top of their voices.

I used to take a bus to college, for 2 goddam years stuck with the great unwashed, old people are no better in my experience. A person's age doesn't define if they're an anti social cretin, their mentality does.

Some of the negative traits I found with 'older' people: Pungent smells, loud conversations, glaring and tutting at people they don't like the look of, expectation to instantly jump up and offer them a seat, chair hogging, slow to get on/off.....

No one group is perfect, but as I said, it isn't the age that defines if someone will be antisocial or not.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girl talking to her friend:

So I was like "when are you going to get it done?" and she was like "Well I cant do it cuz I have to do stuff" and I was like " Well if you are not going to do it then I wont be coming to your party" and she was like "well if you don't come to my party then we are not hanging out again" and I was like "tough!" and she was like "laterz!"

Is this how teenagers speak in today's world? :confused:

Its a code. It means "Look at that creepy old man staring at us. Why is he doing that? I feel uncomfortable because of it."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to take a bus to college, for 2 goddam years stuck with the great unwashed, old people are no better in my experience. A person's age doesn't define if they're an anti social cretin, their mentality does.

Some of the negative traits I found with 'older' people: Pungent smells, loud conversations, glaring and tutting at people they don't like the look of, expectation to instantly jump up and offer them a seat, chair hogging, slow to get on/off.....
    No one group is perfect, but as I said, it isn't the age that defines if someone will be antisocial or not.

Gosh, how dare they be old and slow on their feet and not able to jump in and out of a shower twice a day or afford to put on the washing machine every day.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girl talking to her friend:

So I was like "when are you going to get it done?" and she was like "Well I cant do it cuz I have to do stuff" and I was like " Well if you are not going to do it then I wont be coming to your party" and she was like "well if you don't come to my party then we are not hanging out again" and I was like "tough!" and she was like "laterz!"

Yes, it is. In London anyway.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Generally speaking i'm afraid to say it is .Far far far more chance of meeeting an antisocial kid than an antisocial rabble rousing septuagenarian,,,,,:)
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Gosh, how dare they be old and slow on their feet and not able to jump in and out of a shower twice a day or afford to put on the washing machine every day.

My Great Aunt never had a bath or shower, used only a bowl of warm water and a facecloth and washed clothes once a week. She always had a smell of lavender from her home-made lavender bags and rose water to splash on when she went out. No excuse for smelling unless you are homeless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally speaking i'm afraid to say it is .Far far far more chance of meeeting an antisocial kid than an antisocial rabble rousing septuagenarian,,,,,:)

The odds point towards certain age ranges, but that doesn't mean a certain age will automatically mean someone will be antisocial.

You can't say an age defines that someone will be antisocial, and then go on to say there's 'far far more chance' etc....it's contradictory. You're basically saying one is absolute, and the other is a probability.

I know full well you're far more likely to encounter a nuisance teen, but it would be unfair to generalize all of them. The majority of teens that shared the bus with me were unobtrusive, only the odd one or two problematic ones, but of course only the problem ones get remembered. In my own personal experience I found both groups equally as annoying.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The odds point towards certain age ranges, but that doesn't mean a certain age will automatically mean someone will be antisocial.

Well of course not ...just statistically more likely :)
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually they sound quite intelligent compared to some I hear :)

They sound like valley girls.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old fart complaining about teenagers, how original.

A teenager joins the thread. :D
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old fart complaining about teenagers, how original.

So won't you be an old fart one day?
    Bloody hell, talk about arrogant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    My Great Aunt never had a bath or shower, used only a bowl of warm water and a facecloth and washed clothes once a week. She always had a smell of lavender from her home-made lavender bags and rose water to splash on when she went out. No excuse for smelling unless you are homeless.

Or maybe slightly incontinent due to old age. Or maybe very arthritic and unable to wash themselves properly without help. I know its not nice if you're sitting next to someone like that but to call it anti social (as someone else, not you did) is unkind.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blame America. Yet more American slang taking over our fine language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe slightly incontinent due to old age. Or maybe very arthritic and unable to wash themselves properly without help. I know its not nice if you're sitting next to someone like that but to call it anti social (as someone else, not you did) is unkind.

Waves....referring to me there?!

So it's fine to label negative things teens do as antisocial, but not old people? What's the criteria between something being annoying and something being antisocial?

I'd rather sit next to a kid with his crummy music playing loud, than some unwashed older person who smells. I find I can zone the music out easier. Yes it's unfortunate they may not be able to clean themselves properly etc, but it doesn't mean I should have to be happy accepting it, just the same as kids speaking in lingo typical of their age, I don't have to like that either.

This is starting to overstate my original comments (ie both groups do annoying things).....
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

I guess we can blame America for everything then. Why don't we just block out any international countries from influencing us. Let's take North Korea as a model, we'd definitely survive on own right? Come on raise your pitchfork...we are going to protect our borders. Christ....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

What the hell are you talking about?

It's Jamaican influenced lingo the children are using not American.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've managed to stop my daughters (12 and 15) stop peppering every sentence with "likes" by flicking them on their head every time while punctuating said flick with the word, "FLICK". It's worked a treat.

I've even started doing it to their friends who insist on speaking like that. My house, my rules and all that :D
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apart from it not being 'most' but 'some', and apart from claiming their parents are all thick & overweight, and apart from thinking they'll all see it as charming, that's an excellent post and not at all generalising one bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Waves....referring to me there?!

So it's fine to label negative things teens do as antisocial, but not old people? What's the criteria between something being annoying and something being antisocial?

I'd rather sit next to a kid with his crummy music playing loud, than some unwashed older person who smells. I find I can zone the music out easier. Yes it's unfortunate they may not be able to clean themselves properly etc, but it doesn't mean I should have to be happy accepting it, just the same as kids speaking in lingo typical of their age, I don't have to like that either.

This is starting to overstate my original comments (ie both groups do annoying things).....

One is deliberate and by choice, the other isn't.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm... dunno about today's world, it was the same 30 years ago. Kids used to say "like" all the time; I know my brother did. It's probably a London thing that's spread outwards.