Options

Best Portrait artist UK and Ireland

Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,929
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tucked away on Sky Arts1, but anyone watching? Search for the best Portrait artist, presented by Frank Skinner and Joan Bakewell. Self portrait paintings are submitted to apply, then wittled down by the judges to their favourites, with 21 artists taking part in each City/Country! Three celebrity sitters in different settings.

Absolutely loving this. Huge diversity of talent, using vast range of different mediums - oh and some big characters, many eccentric, like last night's chap who made Pauline McLynne aka "Mrs. Doyle" from Father Ted look like something Pacasso would be proud of.

Biggest frustration is they seem to have their "chosen" ones early on and so they tend to feature about half of the overall number participating.

A must see though, especially for any art lovers!

http://www.sky.com/tv/channel/skyarts/shows

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this.

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/portrait

Mrs. Doyle was very brave with that pose! :)

I thought the Lethal Bizzle portrait should have won.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,331
    Forum Member
    I've been watching this too! I'm a bit envious as I can't paint for toffee and I'm not confident at drawing either :( I didn't see last night's show, I'll be watching the repeat on Sunday. I saw a preview of who was going to be on and was pleased to see that Mrs Doyle was going to be one of the subjects :D
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Little gem of a series, loving the Heats, but Mrs Doyle near Naked, last night.:eek:

And the 'artist' who stomped off at the End....was hilarious - Joan didn't look pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Little gem of a series, loving the Heats, but Mrs Doyle near Naked, last night.:eek:

And the 'artist' who stomped off at the End....was hilarious - Joan didn't look pleased.

He was a true tortured artist! He may have seemed rude, but all he wanted to do was paint - obsessively so, as one of the judges pointed out, but found the whole social, chatty part excruciating. I really like Frank Skinner in this too, he's so easy going and has a genuine love and fascination with art. Have to agree Stansfield, I love anything like this and wish there was more. Did you ever watch Watercolour Challenge years ago with Hannah Gordon? Loved that show!
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving it!
    Pleased to see I am not the only one watching this,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was a true tortured artist! He may have seemed rude, but all he wanted to do was paint - obsessively so, as one of the judges pointed out, but found the whole social, chatty part excruciating. I really like Frank Skinner in this too, he's so easy going and has a genuine love and fascination with art. Have to agree Stansfield, I love anything like this and wish there was more. Did you ever watch Watercolour Challenge years ago with Hannah Gordon? Loved that show!
    He was rude.

Hannah Gordon's series I remember, but I only saw a couple them.
    What I do remember, and watched many episodes of, which wasn't a competition but still great fun - Paint along with Nancy. :cool:
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    Loving it!
    Pleased to see I am not the only one watching this,

Same here!
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,331
    Forum Member

I remember the Hannah Gordon show! I used to like watching Bob Ross. I did quite like his paintings even if he seemed to paint the same things in every show :D but he was a lovely man and I found watching him very soothing. Loved his big hair!

'Happy lil trees.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the Hannah Gordon show! I used to like watching Bob Ross. I did quite like his paintings even if he seemed to paint the same things in every show :D but he was a lovely man and I found watching him very soothing. Loved his big hair!

'Happy lil trees.'
    "We don't make mistakes; we just have happy accidents."

Yes, always fir trees and snowy mountains and didn't he make it look easy! He was unbelievably laid back, he always sounded half-stoned! :D Sad that he died young at 52.

For anyone who missed the portrait programme, there's a repeat of episode 3 from Dublin on Sky Arts 1 HD Thursday 21 November, 9:30pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the standard in Cardiff was high - what a fantastic choice of sitters. There were skilled portraits of Gavin Henson, but none I thought quite captured his face properly (probably too distracted by his bod!) Whereas Simon Weston's portraits - all that we saw - were not only incredible, but each had something magical about them. I'm not really well up on Lucian Freud's girlfriend, but they got a likeness and her grumpiness!

The female judge with the plummy voice annoys me intensely. Nothing's ever good enough, which might be fair enough as she's head of the National Portrait Gallery, but I doubt anything in there took 4 hours!

So we have two left? Can't wait! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the standard in Cardiff was high - what a fantastic choice of sitters. There were skilled portraits of Gavin Henson, but none I thought quite captured his face properly (probably too distracted by his bod!) Whereas Simon Weston's portraits - all that we saw - were not only incredible, but each had something magical about them. I'm not really well up on Lucian Freud's girlfriend, but they got a likeness and her grumpiness!

The female judge with the plummy voice annoys me intensely. Nothing's ever good enough, which might be fair enough as she's head of the National Portrait Gallery, but I doubt anything in there took 4 hours!

So we have two left? Can't wait! :D
    I like the other one - Kate Bryan.:)

Another great heat last night - but Gavin topless...who's idea was that.

Wish the guy who does - photo like paintings - had more time for his painting....days maybe.
    But I think they picked the right one, the 'dripping' one.

And next week the 4 finalists, go to Paris, was it.:cool:

Did like the Toast Artist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad there's a thread on this:)
    I stumbled across it by accident and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
    I'd love to be able to paint or draw and I find it fascinating to watch those who can at work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    I'm glad there's a thread on this:)
    I stumbled across it by accident and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
    I'd love to be able to paint or draw and I find it fascinating to watch those who can at work.

Yes, it's been great hasn't it. I thought Frank Skinner's Marmite portrait was good! Next week the 4 heat winners go to Paris to paint a portrait of Sophie Dahl and then it's the grand final the following week. :)
  • Options
    FootysFootys Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    This is a cracking programme - who would have thought it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're all so different, but after the semi-finals, Selina's definitely my favourite! I loved the abstract way she painted Sophie Dahl; especially her hair which had every colour of the rainbow, yet it worked beautifully! Love the young guy's style, Adrian is it? Yet frustrating as he tends to get the paint on at the last minute!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're all so different, but after the semi-finals, Selina's definitely my favourite! I loved the abstract way she painted Sophie Dahl; especially her hair which had every colour of the rainbow, yet it worked beautifully! Love the young guy's style, Adrian is it? Yet frustrating as he tends to get the paint on at the last minute!
    Did like Selena's by the end, but it wasn't my favourite, Nick's I thought, {unfinished look} just had the edge, for me.

And the Judge's, not there while they painted Sophie Dahl, I thought - was wrong, they should have seen the process, like in the heats...and no painting for the first 20 minutes, was a pain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

And the Judge's, not there while they painted Sophie Dahl, I thought - was wrong, they should have seen the process, like in the heats...and no painting for the first 20 minutes, was a pain.

I agree, it seemed quite odd at the end for them to simply bring the paintings home with absolutely no feedback during it or immediately afterwards. I mean even Sophie - I appreciate she wouldn't want to say her favourite in front of them, but why did she need to skulk about looking at them on her own, when she could have chatted to the painters about each of them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all four of the final portraits.

If forced to pick one to hang on my wall, I would choose the amazing study of the ballerina.

Of course, the final decision is based on all four portraits submitted by each artist.

edit to add: Nick is a very worthy winner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selina has been a favourite because of her love of colour, but was wishing she'd painted bigger for the final and put in some background. I did think Nick's work was extremely talented, but for me, Luis stood out the most. I love his contemporary style and thought the vibrancy and light in his portrait was stunning. Great final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of my favourite programmes of the year. I even liked the opening credits/images!

I kept changing my mind about which one deserved to win, as they each had fantastic qualities.

That last task was difficult! In each case, to be both 'formal', yet capture individuality and personality.

Hope this comes back next year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Had three favourites by the end - so happy Nick won with Johnson Behary VC....but I have to say, Ewan's AP McCoy, looked amazing....but Selena's just didn't do it for me, with Shami B's portrait.
    Oh yeah....Luis's too, Lauren the Ballerina, also was a real contender - stunning.

Thought the final did take sometime to start - first 15/20 minutes was a recap, sure they could have made that shorter.

But apart from that - it's been a little gem of a series.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved watching this, but only saw the last three programmes as they were the only ones available on Catch Up, and I watched them all tonight!

I was however hoping we'd see the winner's final portrait of the author! I guess it will be revealed at a later date and not as part of the programme, which is a real shame.

In the final, I absolutely loved Louis's portrait of the ballerina. It was captivating. I think he had a slight advantage because he got to work with a more unusual pose/setting/composition - the others (or at least the jockey and the soldier) required something more formal and they were really a bit more forced in to doing a more classic portrait without having the free will to mess around. Not that it mattered of course because Nick won.

I really hope they do another series, or perhaps they could do one focussing on different types of painting.

I used to LOVE Watercolour Challenge! I don't know what it is about painting/drawing/art programmes but I find them absorbing. I'm not that great at drawing and I'm not a massive art fan overall, but seeing the process is fascinating and especially pictures of people - I'm intrigued by how the artist interprets things and captures a face and character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up for any fans of this last year. We were told at the end of the series that Nick Lord, the overall winner would be commissioned to paint the famous author, and Booker Prize winner, Hilary Mantel and the finished portrait would be hung in the British Library. I nearly missed this, but it's still available on Demand for a few more days. Also here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly missed this, have just seen that the second series of the Portrait Artist of the Year 2014 has started. Already on Sky Arts 1 On Demand, but can see again on Tuesday 8.00 pm

Loved this last year!

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/portrait?DCMP=KNC-
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!

I had fleetingly seen a trailer for this, and have been checking tv listings all this week with puzzlement...........so it's next week!

Can't wait :)